Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tokico blue struts and stock springs....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tokico blue struts and stock springs....?

is it possible? i need to get a vechile through inspection and they say its too low so iwas going to throw my stock springs back on...
Old 02-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tokico blue struts and stock springs....? (the.hamburglar)

the blues are an oem replacement shock, yes they work
Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: tokico blue struts and stock springs....? (Voyage34)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Voyage34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the blues are an oem replacement shock</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like you to prove that, and not with some other topic that can be viewed on H-T.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: tokico blue struts and stock springs....? (INVALID)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxima.org &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tokico Illumina Struts were used; Tokico Blues are OEM replacement and not made for extreme lowering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...from a recent article on Maxima.org, http://www.maxima.org/article6.html. Midway down, under "additional notes".

I know Tokico says the offer "a superior combination of handling, stability, and ride quality" but generally they dont hold up under serious drop or aggressive spring rates. I realize generality is just that, not a be-all-and-end-all, but when enough information points one way, the truth is almost never 180 from there.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just tried and they do NOT work...the orginal spring cant be compressed enough to work.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Voyage34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...from a recent article on Maxima.org, http://www.maxima.org/article6.html. Midway down, under "additional notes".

I know Tokico says the offer "a superior combination of handling, stability, and ride quality" but generally they dont hold up under serious drop or aggressive spring rates. I realize generality is just that, not a be-all-and-end-all, but when enough information points one way, the truth is almost never 180 from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When was a Nissan Maxima, a Honda Civic? You can't take information from a source and apply to a completely different make and model car.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam. On my '92 Si, I have Tokico(blues), w/cheap adj. coilovers....

If i want to rase it back to stock (winter)... I cant?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:52 PM

They arent the same. I never said they were. But why would the HP(blues) be an oem replacement for one car and a high performance aftermarket shock on another, that doesnt make sense to me. I will do my best to refrain from comparing civics to maximas from now on though.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok they might be the same now, i just said that becuase it looked like there was going to be no way to get the spring on there. i would have had to compress it so much like 3 inches...ill try again tonight. i compare the tokico with another oem replacement and they had the same dimesions.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i would have had to compress it so much like 3 inches...ill try again tonight. i compare the tokico with another oem replacement and they had the same dimesions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The stock springs are pretty long, due to the ride height and relatively low springrate. That's normal.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Voyage34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the blues are an oem replacement shock, yes they work</TD></TR></TABLE>

The following is taken from the Tokico USA website:

What is the difference between your Performance non-adjustable shocks and your adjustable Illumina units?

A. In terms of quality there is no difference. The adjustment system in the Illumina allows the owner to change the handling balance or ride quality to suit his/her purposes. The Illumina is excellent for auto cross, drag or other types of racing. It can also be used to compensate for handling imbalances common to certain cars.

Tokico refer the blue HP shocks as aftermarket performance shocks and not OE replacements. Although they manufacture OE shocks for certain vehicles, their OE shocks is no where the same as the Blue HP peformance shocks. The HP shocks are pretty much the same as the illumina's but without the adjustable option.

Tokico HP shocks are not OE replacements. They are aftermarket performance shock replacements. If your looking for OE replacements the shocks for you are the KYB GR2 shocks. That's OE replacement.

It is possible that some vehicles may come with Tokico HP shocks from factory as an upgrade by the auto manufacturer. But that does not make them OE. Plus I have never seen any.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: tokico blue struts and stock springs....? (entityzero)

i appologize for claiming them to be oem replacements, and for dragging this so far from the OP's question. from what ive read and experienced(vicariously, through a friend who had and shortly thereafter blew them), they seemed to me to offer very little improvement over the stocks i helped my friend replace on his rsx. barely a year later, the agx's that replaced them recieved a much better reception

if this is better, oem they are not. durable and high performance they are not really either. as im not the only one with these sentiments, https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1424725

a maxima is not a civic
tokico blues are not oem
Old 02-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by entityzero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The following is taken from the Tokico USA website:

A. In terms of quality there is no difference.

Tokico refer the blue HP shocks as aftermarket performance shocks and not OE replacements. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It says in terms of quality; nothing about the design or internal valving. Nowhere on their site did I see the blues refered to as aftermarket performance shocks, aside from the normal marketing 'performance' rhetoric. Until I see a shock dyno, I'm not buying that they'd make a 'performance' valved shock, nearly identical to their adjustable line at such a steep discount. I'm guessing that's why nobody has bothered to test them:

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

Old 02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It works, i have that setup on my 1993 civic ex. this setup definitely works. However with your spring compression problem. the rear springs worked fine with my autozone spring compressor however i had to buy a coilover spring compressor for my front shocks.

if you've been running lower springs on your car this may be a problem and the shocks are not used to being out as far as the stock springs go.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: tokico blue struts and stock springs....? (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It says in terms of quality; nothing about the design or internal valving. Nowhere on their site did I see the blues refered to as aftermarket performance shocks, aside from the normal marketing 'performance' rhetoric. Until I see a shock dyno, I'm not buying that they'd make a 'performance' valved shock, nearly identical to their adjustable line at such a steep discount. I'm guessing that's why nobody has bothered to test them:

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you go to the Tokico website, the HP are reference as performance shocks and not OE.

This following statements are taken from the Tokico site:

The blue units are TOKICO's HP series of premium non-adjustable performance shocks and struts. They are designed to offer superior performance and traction with ride quality that is equal to or superior to the original ride.

The result of all of this technology is better chassis control with:
• Reduced body lean
• Reduced pitch and dive
• Controlled rebound float (product shot)
• Reduced suspension bottoming

Improved tire to road contact means:
• Less wander
• Better traction on smooth and rough roads
• Quicker steering response
• Better cornering power
• Better traction for braking

They also show a shock graph on the HP reference section on a VW Golf comparing the Tokico's over the OE shocks.

Most people who blow their shocks, especially the Honda guys alot times forget that you need a boot cover for the shock. The Tokico HP blue set does not provide shock boot covers, your supposed to use your OE covers. I see alot of people who put these shocks on without the stem boot cover and end up blowing their shocks within a couple months. Why? Dirt, sand, water, salt or whatever gets onto the shock stem and inside the shock and damages it. And then they blame the shocks.

I have installed numerous Tokico HP shocks on different cars and have never had one blow. I have nothing but positive to say about them. We even had a car sit in the garage on them HP blues for like a 1 1/2 year and came back to check the shocks and they were still good. They hold up well on OE springs, aftermarket lowering springs, and even cheap coilovers.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks guys for all the responeses. ok ill start off with this. i took measurements of the oem replacement munroe shock. i took the dimesnions from the bottom of the strut to the very top and then another measurement where the spring sits to the very top. both the eom and tokico i have the exact same measurements. so in theory the tokico has the exact same dimensions as the monroe. as for the insides, tokico should be different because they are an oem replacement pefromance shock. i just cant figure out why i cannot get that spring on there. i guess ill have to take it to a shop. id have to compress it like 3" to fit on and then once i have it compressed, there would be no way to get it off because it would be pinched in the spring