Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Toda B's in b16a2, searched already, still need answers....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toda B's in b16a2, searched already, still need answers....

Ok, I've been a member on this board for quite some time and have done alot of researching and reading on these but everyone seems to have a different opinion or assumption. I would like answers from someone who has experience with spec b's or in that field.

I've heard alot about snapping timing belts, checking valve clearances/adjusting every 10-20k, retard timing, etc.

First off, I already have the spec b's and toda gears from toda, I am still debating on the valvetrain because I see that some of the users have used the supertech HD kit and it worked out fine, but then some highly recommend toda's kit to be used with their cams which does make sense to me. I am afraid of coilbind so these two kits are the only ones in mind as of right now. Any input?

Second, is it safe to run a OEM timing belt with these or should I get toda's? But if I go with toda's timing belt, doesn't it only last about 30k or so? I've seen diff. users with oem timing belts and haven't had any problems but then some say they will snap.

Third, I will be removing my ITR cams to install these in, what I need to know is do I need to retard the exhaust timing to -2 and intake at 0 to get the car to start? I will be installing these myself unless there's something that I need to know, I have assembly lube, honda-bond, 3/8 torque wrench, and my torque specs. Any help?

Last, the motor is a stock b16a2 in a '00 SI, I've seen 175whp pulls off of a stock si in the all motor forum. I will be daily driving these untuned until I can get a appointment in with mainstream performance (I do a total of 5 miles a day to and from work). As far as the timing belt tensioner, how tight am I suppose to go, I normally tighten it to where there's only about 1/2 inch of slack (turning the belt sideways).

Oh, one more thing, Should I keep my stock a2 intake manifold because some users prefer this because of the low-mid range. Upgrading to a ITR mani will make me lose my low range but increases top end, is this really a necessary mod? BTW, I will be using the hytech tri-y replica header with a straight exhaust to help aid these cams, also a mugen or 2 layer headgasket.