Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tire Wear (Toe,Caster)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Wear (Toe,Caster)

Ok, my questions has 3 parts.
I had some 15" inch wheels on my car, and i noticed accelerated tire wear.
I took them off and put 14" wheels on my car, and got a alignment and got the toe and caster adjusted.
Now, i have the 15" tires back on and they are making noise when driving.

The question is, since the 15s were wearing unevenly before and i now I have the toe and caster set at proper setting, is the noise that I hear the tires actually starting to wear evenly, with the toe and caster set correctly?

I hope i was clear
Old 02-07-2004, 07:19 AM

I am assuming that the 15" is wider than the 14" wheel. Why didn't you just get the alignment with the 15" back on the car? I am thinking that the wider tire needs to be the one on the car when you get the alignment.

I am not sure of this but it seems logical. I would like to know for sure also because in the spring when I put my car back on the road I need an alignment and two front tires. I would like to know if I should wait to do the alignment after the tires get here.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SolObsession)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolObsession &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am assuming that the 15" is wider than the 14" wheel. Why didn't you just get the alignment with the 15" back on the car? I am thinking that the wider tire needs to be the one on the car when you get the alignment.

I am not sure of this but it seems logical. I would like to know for sure also because in the spring when I put my car back on the road I need an alignment and two front tires. I would like to know if I should wait to do the alignment after the tires get here. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i had my coupe aligned with14" steelies on it..about a year later i had it aligned with 15"x6.5" wheels on it-it was still dead on.as long as the wheels aren't bent,i can't see how it would affect it.
chris
Old 02-07-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

You should get an alignment everytime you put new rims/tires on your car of a different size. Even an inch, from 14 to 15, can make a difference in the toe, which is what really wears your tires down.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JDMSaint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMSaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should get an alignment everytime you put new rims/tires on your car of a different size. Even an inch, from 14 to 15, can make a difference in the toe, which is what really wears your tires down.</TD></TR></TABLE>
how does that affect the toe?the steering tie-rods are what adjust the toe.changing wheels or tires doesn't change any of the adjustments of the suspension.
chris
Old 02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
mike93eh

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how does that affect the toe?the steering tie-rods are what adjust the toe.changing wheels or tires doesn't change any of the adjustments of the suspension.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

hes right
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

So what im figuring is that the noise im hearing, is the tires actually wearing correctly. But i will get an alignment just to make sure.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: (civic duty)

some tires are just loud... lol and im being serious.. if you go to a tire shop you can request quiet tires ( i worked at goodyear, gald i wasnt a tire boy).. .. also .. do you mean toe and camber?? cause im pretty sure caster is not adjustable on hondas... plus it would not affect tire wear.. toe and camber are the ones that cause tire wear
Old 02-07-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: (ekb18cCivic)

I'm pretty sure they would have adjusted toe and camber.

Tire size does not change steering geometry. Your alignment with 14's is fine.

As for the noise, if these are the same tires you had on before they are probably chopped up a little bit. The little bit of chop(an uneven wear pattern) will cause the tire to make more noise than it should. Nothing to be too concerned about.