Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tire bubble .. ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire bubble .. ?

i have a small bubble on my tire
i did a search, some said i shouldnt drive on it because of possibility of blowout?
is this true ? it doesnt seem that severe ..

also, can i just replace the one tire ?
im poor as hell so right now i cant replace both at once ..
the tire has around 80% tread, but the inside is wearing faster due to drop and camber

Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (killaj12)

Replace it IMEDIETLY it will blow out soon, maybe not today but SOON

And as long as you have that much tread left you can replace one tire no prop. Just remember to rotate them like you should.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the bubble located? On the outer or inner sidewall? I'd replace it...if you cannot afford to replace all 4, at least do the front or rear 2. That way you wouldn't have uneven tread all the way around and cause more headaches

Oh...and blowouts are rare...BUT a defect like you're describing only ADDS to the possiblity...watch your tire pressure too...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replace it IMEDIETLY it will blow out soon, maybe not today but SOON

And as long as you have that much tread left you can replace one tire no prop. Just remember to rotate them like you should. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes

and replacing it, any respectable tire company would see if there is a close tread comparison on a used tire they may have
Old 05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (civictildeath)

treads may be the same...but pattern is what you look for...you should not have different types and makes of tires on your vehicle...stick to one or at least 2. Just replacing one tire could cause alignment issues, make your other tire have more premature wear...etc.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (civictildeath)

Actually most places dont sell ussed tires, Id get a new one if you can if not go the ussed route. (Nothing wrong with ussed but new is allways better.

And you DO NOT need to replace all 4!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (nocturnaldragon)

bud i work for discount tire. you need to replace that tire. it CAN and WILL blow out on you. its called an impact break. you hit a pothole or something and you get the bubble. that bubble is a break in the inner liner of the tire. so the air pressure gets in there and causes that bubble. your belt package in the sidewall of the tire is now broken. i should make a vid to show you just how little it takes for a impact break to pop. replace the tire immediately if not sooner. remember safety.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, my brother got a huge bubble on a stock wheel. It wasn't on the sidewall either, and it was humungous. I wouldn't drive on it, it could all of a sudden get a lot bigger while you're driving and then pop.

**EDIT: didn't see what typeoneeg6 wrote, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (typeoneeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typeoneeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bud i work for discount tire. you need to replace that tire. it CAN and WILL blow out on you. its called an impact break. you hit a pothole or something and you get the bubble. that bubble is a break in the inner liner of the tire. so the air pressure gets in there and causes that bubble. your belt package in the sidewall of the tire is now broken. i should make a vid to show you just how little it takes for a impact break to pop. replace the tire immediately if not sooner. remember safety.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you a fellow tire person to back me up on this. I didn't get all technical tho Just stated the obvious Bubble in tire = bad. Replacement = Immediate
Old 05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the bubble is located in the outside sidewall..

so i should replace at least the front 2 at the same time ? i have yoko avs es100s, if that matters. im going to buy the same tire, but i just want to know if i have to replace both at the same time .. the other tire is fine

also, how much more should i expect to pay if i dont buy the tire online and just go to a place like discount tires or mavis ? online its 75$ ..
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: (killaj12)

i drove around on a "bubble" or "tire knott" or what ever theyre called for like 2 months... then i finally changed it HAHAHAHAHAH
i know im an idiot put im poor.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_EmO)

im poor too
Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_EmO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i drove around on a "bubble" or "tire knott" or what ever theyre called for like 2 months... then i finally changed it HAHAHAHAHAH
i know im an idiot put im poor. </TD></TR></TABLE> same here , but i'd definitely buy a new(er) tire (me and Mr_emo may have just been lucky ... it's not worth testing your luck tho) .
Old 05-18-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: (eg8kid)

yup yup. dont risk it
Old 05-18-2005, 02:07 AM

i hate bubbles god damn it, stupid potholes, especially in canada the potholes were insane cuz of all the snow and salt.....in so cal it's not that bad but when that one comes up it's so unexpected that u hit it directly....i mean in canada ur always on the look out for potholes....so ur prepared....but here in cali u dont expect one and it gets you
Old 05-18-2005, 02:51 AM

I drove around with a bubble for about a month. Yesterday i tried to park my car on a low curb and the bubble popped!
So i'm riding on a 12" spare tire now
Got my paycheck this morning so replacing the front 2 tires this afternoon!!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killaj12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bubble is located in the outside sidewall..

so i should replace at least the front 2 at the same time ? i have yoko avs es100s, if that matters. im going to buy the same tire, but i just want to know if i have to replace both at the same time .. the other tire is fine

also, how much more should i expect to pay if i dont buy the tire online and just go to a place like discount tires or mavis ? online its 75$ ..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

discount tire will usually match/beat the lowest price you can find if its not off of their website. i work at discount tire like typeoneeg6 and i can vouch that it is not safe.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killaj12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the tire has around 80% tread, but the inside is wearing faster due to drop causing toe-out</TD></TR></TABLE>

There, I fixed it for you. Better get yourself an alignment pretty soon to set the toe back to the center of factory specs, or you'll chew right through your brand new tires in no time.

Ignore the camber.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tire bubble .. ? (Targa250R)

^ Good idea...and yeah, just replace the 2 fronts...use that good one in the front for a spare
Old 05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killaj12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im poor too
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Imagine how poor you'd be if you blew the tire out and got into an accident.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: (Marauder)

Get Rid of that tire, better to be safe than sorry!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lysawy)

whao i read this topic and i was like hmm... my car feels like it has a bent rim. but i found that hard to believe, so i decided to check my tires and boom there and behold i had a big *** bubble in my rear left tire to the inner sidewall... all i have to say is replace it before it does blow. just like typeoneeg6 said it takes very little impact to blow.. and its very true.. anyways gl on the tire and thx honda tech
Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM

i drove on my prada's with bubbles from LA to phoenix (there and back). It blew the day after the trip. I wish i had a pic of my sidewall afterwards.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (Lekz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lekz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i drove on my prada's with bubbles from LA to phoenix (there and back). It blew the day after the trip. I wish i had a pic of my sidewall afterwards.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you must have been crazyyyyy luckyyy
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM

replace it

Quick Reply: tire bubble .. ?