Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tips for adjusting to a new clutch...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips for adjusting to a new clutch...

the new ride i just got has a weird clutch, i cant tell wether it's stg1, 2, or 3 i have searched for the differences
and stuff, but this clutch imo has characteristics of 1,2, and 3 lol. i feel like a noob drivin stick cuz of it, so i'll
explain a little what its like and hopefully someone can throw out some tips or info on what i got and how to
drive it haha...ok the pedal is not immediately off the floor but it's got barely any 'play' in too, like an inch and a
half up or so it's there, and it jerks the car once i feel the 'catch point' and then i just tap the gas and can move
so its for sure not oem...also when shifting if i shift as if u would with an oem clutch, it makes me ride it bad
and that sucks lol, also if i shift too fast, even at low rpms, the tires chirp lol like im speed racin or somethin..does
anyone got some opinions what stage this clutch most likely is, also how to drive this thing smoothly lol..btw
sorry for such a noob question and vague description but i need some help here and i trust ya guys
Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tips for adjusting to a new clutch...

My stage 2 seems to be a lot like what your describing. What your dealing with is a "narrow" engagement point. A OEM clutch has a pretty "wide" engagement point which means the pedal has to travel a longer distance to fully engage the clutch to the flywheel. A narrow engagement is harder to deal with because the friction disc on the clutch makes full contact with the flywheel with much less pedal movement not allowing as much "slippage", not to mention usually the pressure plate has much stiffer springs making the engagement harsher. That's the best way I can describe it.

I love mine now and wouldn't give it up although it took some getting used to. If your wanting the clutch to grab with the pedal a bit more off the floorboard, simply adjust it. Get down in the floorboard with a few wrenches and a flashlight, I don't remember for sure but I think the lock nut for the clutch push rod, interlock switch, and cruise switch are either a 10mm or 12mm.

You will see a rod coming off the back of the clutch pedal and going to the master cylinder. Take the clip out of the pin going through the pedal and "U" hook and then loosen the lock nut and turn the rod CCW to bring it out farther from the master cylinder, this will make the clutch engagement point higher up in the pedal travel. Also be ready to adjust the Clutch Interlock Switch and Cruise Control Switch(if applicable). Hope this helps.

You will get better at driving it with practice.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the below for you.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks matt! i'm happy with where it engages so i dont need to adjust the pedal, but i just wanna kno whats the
easiest way to shift smooth and avoid that 'slam' when takin off in first...
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikej94civex
thanks matt! i'm happy with where it engages so i dont need to adjust the pedal, but i just wanna kno whats the
easiest way to shift smooth and avoid that 'slam' when takin off in first...
Do you have any "modulation" in the pedal at all? Or, is the clutch seem like an ON/OFF switch? As in its either engaged or dis-engaged with no middle ground?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the late reply...but the pedal has some up/or down before i feel anytyhing but very little especially compared
to oem, it's almost instant....also goin 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd ect is very rough i can almost never get the transition smooth lol its embarassing, as opposed to an oem stg1 where im smooth as can be