Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tint place screwed me over

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint place screwed me over

hey all,
two weeks ago I got all of my windows tinted on my 2003 protege 5 for 210$. I was generally happy with the price and job until all the water evaporated and there are tons of little tiny bubbles all over the tint. I am quite upset that I paid two hundred dollars for a poor job so I went back to the shop.

The guy who did the tinting says "oh yes I remember this car, we almost didn't do this car it was too dusty, see?" then he hits the seats and some dust comes out. He tells me again and again that he was close to not doing it and dust causes this and that. It caught me off guard and I didn't really know what to say so i told him ok. He said that after 6 months if I'm still not happy he would re do it.

Now this got me thinking he might just be trying to get rid of me. I saw lots of other cars this shop has done and they are old, like really old, and probably really dusty, was he just trying to screw me around and get rid of me by telling me it was too dusty? dont you clean the windows before you tint so dust wouldn't be an issue?

Im mad as hell, what are your opinions
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take it back and demand he do it right, or get your money back
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Tint place screwed me over (Mavrick)

thats def not right. dust only has an effect thats on the window. if he tinted them good, then dust from seats wont matter.

go get him to re do it, most tint shops offer to redo it anyway if theirs bubbles.

tell him ull take him to court.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, this obviously isn't Civic / Del Sol related.

That being said, what he told you is not necessarily false or an attempt to "get rid of you". The cleaner the interior of a car, the cleaner the installation of the film will be. Common sense tells you that when you're trying to install what is essentially a giant piece of tape onto a window and there is debris in the air from the interior of the car, some of it will become trapped under the film.

My suggestion would be to first <u>thoroughly</u> clean the interior of the car (which I do even on brand new cars before taking them to the installer). Also, you might want to mist down the seats and carpet with either water or something like the allergen reducing Febreeze, which should further cut down on airborne particles. Then take him up on his offer to reinstall the film. Just understand that any installation is going to have some amount of debris under the film, and the best you can do (especially on an old, dirty car) is take steps to reduce it to a minimum.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM

I would wait it out for a few days of driving in the sun to see if any of them go away. Sometimes that happens. If it doesn't get any better take it back. Dust shouldn't leave a ton of bubbles. You would have to have pretty big dust particles to make an imprint in the tint.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tint place screwed me over (Nickboxer7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nickboxer7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You would have to have pretty big dust particles to make an imprint in the tint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the contrary, basically any dust or debris that becomes trapped in the film will be visible as silvery dots when viewed from the outside. That's why surface prep and a clean installation environment are so important to a quality installation.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Tint place screwed me over (Padawan)

so padawan should I get him to redo it?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM

If they almost didn't do it, why take the chance of having a unsatisfied customer. They should've atleast told you what was going on and how they felt before taking on the job. Since he told you if you weren't happy, go back and get it redone.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatching)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatching &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If they almost didn't do it, why take the chance of having a unsatisfied customer. They should've atleast told you what was going on and how they felt before taking on the job. Since he told you if you weren't happy, go back and get it redone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ x2 ... it's their own damn fault. They could have easily said, "hey listen, your interior is really dirty/dusty and if we tint the car in this condition it may not turn out right... why not clean the interior and bring it back tomorrow or later"?

Take it back and have them redo it... and clean your interior really well before
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

Clean your windows and the interior thoroughly, cover the inside of your car with plastic, and bring it back to them. They damn well better do a clean job after all that fuss about a dusty interior.

You're not satisfied with their service, and there's proof of unsatisfactory service, so they need to redo it.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

lol...i owned a custom stereo and tint shop here in miami for 5 years before getting heavy into performance....i have had people bring my 80's caddys with tint all over it which is removal and re-install and it comes out like all my other cars...why???...prep...im sorry but theres no way the dust from ur seats ruined ur tint...most tinters 90% sit on little stools or roll around seats when tiniting and keep thier tools in a pouch....that way there arent touching any part of the car and cant damamge anything...imagine a scraper blade on a seat and then boom...there goes the leather...lol....so in saying this what i mean is that the dust ion ur seats dont have to do with anything...unless he was smaking ur seats and bringing up the dust tell him to find a new excuse...they didnt prep the windows and thats that....and for 210 dollars they better redo it...i use 3m which is the most expensive paper in the market and dont charge that...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (fast4imports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast4imports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol...i owned a custom stereo and tint shop here in miami for 5 years before getting heavy into performance....i have had people bring my 80's caddys with tint all over it which is removal and re-install and it comes out like all my other cars...why???...prep...im sorry but theres no way the dust from ur seats ruined ur tint...most tinters 90% sit on little stools or roll around seats when tiniting and keep thier tools in a pouch....that way there arent touching any part of the car and cant damamge anything...imagine a scraper blade on a seat and then boom...there goes the leather...lol....so in saying this what i mean is that the dust ion ur seats dont have to do with anything...unless he was smaking ur seats and bringing up the dust tell him to find a new excuse...they didnt prep the windows and thats that....and for 210 dollars they better redo it...i use 3m which is the most expensive paper in the market and dont charge that...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just curious as to how you roll around on a stool on the inside of the car?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the contrary, basically any dust or debris that becomes trapped in the film will be visible as silvery dots when viewed from the outside. That's why surface prep and a clean installation environment are so important to a quality installation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrm, guess it's different than lamination. We laminate big digital prints and never have a problem with dust, and trust me, there is dust all over. The only things that show up are big particles that make a bubble because the laminate can't form around the particle. I was just using that to justify.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (Nickboxer7)

nickboxer u really want me to answer that or u want to think about it a bit more???...lol...why would u be inside the car to tint windows??...only time u would get in the car would be the back window....when ur doing the sides ur sitting on a stool outside with the door open get me??
Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like complete bs. I think you should take it back and get it redone at no charge. If you hit any car seat new or old you would see dust. I'm sure there are remedies for dust and this shouldn't be a problem at all. Wouldn't this be something they see everyday? Just my .02.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Tint place screwed me over (00ekcoupe)

I think the shop messed it up. I don't think dust from a seat could ruin it...wouldn't more people have this type of a problem? I would think everyone has dust in their car.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds pretty fair to me
i think you should wait the sixs months
haha yeah right slap that hoe
then pee on all his tint
Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM

Make them do it over again.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: (fast4imports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast4imports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nickboxer u really want me to answer that or u want to think about it a bit more???...lol...why would u be inside the car to tint windows??...only time u would get in the car would be the back window....when ur doing the sides ur sitting on a stool outside with the door open get me??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you should answer it. I'm just saying because like mine for example, it's a hatchback Civic. There is no way you can tint the back three windows without being in the car. If it's a four door it's all fine and dandy your way, but you still have to get in for the back window. Coupes you would have to get in for the back three windows also. And if you do the window stripe, theres another one you have to get in.

So in your way, you get to sit out for two out of the 6 windows in a lot of cases. Other times you sit out for 4 out of the 6.