Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing cause my car to run like crap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cause my car to run like crap?

I've tried a lot of things to fix the sluggishness of my car. It seems to idle somewhat ok...but then once i start to go it acts as if it doesnt want to go and it sorta spits and sputters a little also. We changed the timing belt before we put the motor in and the belt isnt as tight as i would like it to be. Could my timing be off a little or could it have skipped a tooth and possibly be making my car run like ***? I'm going to get a timing gun (never used one before) and see if i can figure some things out.

Andrew
Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Timing cause my car to run like crap? (dreweg)

timing gun isnt going to help for cam timing. that gun is for ignition timing man.... two very different things.

If your belt is ont on tight then i would stop driving it, and fix it asap! You need to get it on tight or else you will skip a tooth no doubt and your car will obviously run like ****.

line up everything at TDC... loosen tensioner... put on timing belt... Manually crank three cam teeth clockwise... Tighten tensioner... Good to go...

if that doesnt work then repeat...
Old 07-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, timing can cause problems. I skipped a tooth on my timing belt before, and the car ran so bad, no power, and bad idle. I agree, check the belt itself first, then set the ignition timing
Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Timing cause my car to run like crap? (rodrez)

Thanks guys...im gettin ready to go over there now and see what's up. Im sorry if i sounded retarded with the timing gun and all...I dont know **** about that ish.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not at all, remember you're still going to need the timing gun after you line up the belt correctly (if that's the problem)
Old 07-13-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Timing cause my car to run like crap? (rodrez)

something to check before messing with all of that... i had the same problem with my car and have heard of similar problems with others. check your plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. the problem you're describing to me doesn't seem to be as bad as what would most likely happen with a jumped or loose timing belt. did you use bosch spark plugs? i've never heard of anything good coming from hondas with bosch plugs. if you have them, swap them out for NGK or NGK-R plugs. Bosch makes good stuff, but like i said, i've never heard of them doing well in hondas. DON'T BUY PLATINUM PLUGS! THEY ARE FOR LONG LIFE, NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE! also check the condition of the rest of your ignition components.
tihs may or may not be the problem, but wouldn't you rather have just pulled the plugs than adjust your timing belt? good luck.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Timing cause my car to run like crap? (S8P-tuner)

Well i changed the plugs about 3 days ago and also put a new distributer on it....it's neither of those. My friend thought that the cam gears didnt line up like they did when we put the belt on the first time (marks on the gears is what i mean)....it was raining all night so i didnt get to mess with it today..i will tomorrow though.

Drew
Old 07-14-2003, 10:33 AM

k...i guess i was wrong, but isn't it always better to check the easier stuff first? make sure you put the timing belt on the pulleys in the proper order. i was about to do mine top to bottom, but then i read the way it was supposed to go was different. also make sure the adjuster is exactly how it should be. it should not be removed, either. there are marks on the crank pulley and the cam sprocket that should line up with timing marks on the block/back cover...get the book...