Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing / cam gear / valvetrain weird problem

Old 06-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing / cam gear / valvetrain weird problem

so i just re-assembled my cylinder head with a lot of complications arising. when i took my old shaft out i looked at my cam gear and the woodruff key holding it in was broken and the cam had slipped around the shaft (messing up my timing), but i put this stuff back together and i fired it up and let it ran and the SAME THING HAPPENED!!! Timing belt was tightened per haynes manual and the camshaft journals and bearing were lubed. I think I might have a bent valve but I'm not sure if that would even cause this.

its a JDM d15b sohc VTEC motor

ill post some pics in a moment or so i cant get that cam gear off very easily as it is stuck to the camshaft now...
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing / cam gear / valvetrain weird problem (obuhmyuh)

you can see here where the key used to be, i just fabbed a key out of the tip of an old screwdriver and wedged it in there with every ounce of strength i have haha.

valve cover got messed up in the process of removing my gear ( that thing didn't wanna come off)
Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

come on guysss, im gonna drive it to work today, and take my spare head in to be serviced/milled, and put that on my car, which will solve the bent valve problem. but im concerned how all of this started... my dad thinks the camshaft binded and the crank pulley forced the cam sprocket over, stripping the woodruff key off. I, on the other hand, knowing that i lubed the camshaft properly and torqued everything down to spec, blame it on a faulty timing belt tensioner. Not enough tension made it jump a tooth, and the belt re-tightened very, very tightly.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car broke down on the way to work today and i was an hour and twenty minutes late and i can't figure wtf is wrong with my car...