timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid

hey everyone
i've got a d15b8; stock 93 civic CX

i reinstalled my head today, and installed the timing belt. i'm basically positive it's set perfectly, but i've got a question!

i used a straight edge along the top of the head with the valve cover off to make sure it was set right... the left marker line is good, the right one is good...
BUT
on the bottom, there's like a plastic looking think with a pointer on it. that's off by a tooth. i looked through my helms manual and it says to line up the two left and right markers to the top of the head, but they have a diagram and, it ALSO shows the bottom marker lining up to that arrow.

although... it says to use that lower marker to line up a d16z6... should i just completely ignore that bottom marker?

is my timing belt off? even though i'm like 99% sure the left and right marks are right on?

the left and right marks are somewhat difficult to see, and the bottom one is obvious, which is why i ask...

thanks all!

Modified by nonvtec92 at 1:32 AM 3/23/2008
Old 03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid (nonvtec92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtec92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey everyone
i've got a d15b8; stock 93 civic CX

i reinstalled my head today, and installed the timing belt. i'm basically positive it's set perfectly, but i've got a question!

i used a straight edge along the top of the head with the valve cover off to make sure it was set right... the left marker line is good, the right one is good...
BUT
on the bottom, there's like a plastic looking think with a pointer on it. that's off by a tooth. i looked through my helms manual and it says to line up the two left and right markers to the top of the head, but they have a diagram and, it ALSO shows the bottom marker lining up to that arrow.

although... it says to use that lower marker to line up a d16z6... should i just completely ignore that bottom marker?

is my timing belt off? even though i'm like 99% sure the left and right marks are right on?

the left and right marks are somewhat difficult to see, and the bottom one is obvious, which is why i ask...

thanks all!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're crank is 1 tooth different from your cams, Mark the belt, Loosen the tensioner, hop it one tooth the right way, tighten it, then double check it again.

the top markers are for the cam *Which moves the valves*, the bottom marker is for the crank *which moves the pistons* if they are not BOTH lined up, you will have 'interference' which ends like this:

*Picture of my old D15B8 block*

Which is bad.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid (Dasfinc)

lol just to clarify i whipped up a quick paint diagram of what i'm taking about.

that bottom marker on the camshaft pulley being off... does that mean my left and right markers are off? that i'm just seeing things, and that they AREN'T level with the top of the head?

of is that bottom marker just used for d16z6 TDC? and should be ignored with a d15b8?

i'm just double checking before i jump it over a tooth...

IF i'm off by a tooth, will it be very noticeable when i start the car back up?
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your post btw!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Wait a second man...

First of all make sure the WHITE mark on the crank pulley is lined up with the sight line on the plastic lower timing cover. Or if the lower cover isn't on yet then line the crank gear mark up with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.

THEN you can now check the cam gear.

In the Honda service manual it specifically says that D16Z6 cam gear has the timing mark at the 8 o'clock position that you line up with the mark on the plastic upper inner timing cover.

The D15 non-VTEC engine is supposed to line up with the two cam gear marks at 3 and 9 line up flat with the cylinder head deck surface. This would make the 8 o'clock mark (used for the D16Z6) look like it's off time from the pointer on the upper inner timing cover.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Former Moderator

BTW you cannot line the two flat timing marks on the cam gear AND have he one all by itself line up with the indicator mark on the inner upper timing cover. It's either the two line up with the deck surface of the head, OR the one all by itself lines up with the **** on the plastic upper inner timing cover.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid (B18C5-EH2)

cool, thanks for clarifying that.

- the white mark on the crank pulley is lined up in with the lower timing belt cover sights
- the 3 and 9oclock marks on the camshaft pulley are in line the the deck of the head

i was just unsure of the 6oclock marker on the camshaft pulley. it wasn't lining up with the bottom marker, so i was worried my eyes and straight edge were playing tricks on me, and that my 3 and 9 were actually off.
what had me worried was the diagram in my helms for the d15b8 showed ALL markers lining up. 3, 9 AND 6.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Former Moderator

Yeah the different timing marks for the 1.6 and 1.5 have always been a source of confusion, even amongst good Honda mechanics.

They should have just put different cam gear/upper cover combos on them and have us line up one mark on the gear with one mark on the cover.

I did run into a situation though on a 1994 Civic DX I once owned. I bought it with a broken T-belt. I set thge timing exactly like we're discussing, or at least I was sure I did, and the engine had some spark knock. I moved the belt one tooth one way, and it still detonated. I then moved the belt one tooth the opposite way (from where I had first set it) and it ran perfect, and the timing checked perfect with a timing light too.

Those marks can be a bitch to line up on that 1.5L cam gear. The motor tilts forward towatds the nose of the car somewhat, making it hard to tell if the two marks are flat with the head or not.

If you're in doubt, and have a timing light simply check the timing with the light with the dizzy in the middle. If the ignition/sprak timing is off by more than 4 degrees or so then you know something's still off.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt... what? i'm freaking paranoid (B18C5-EH2)

Appreciate it man.