Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement

97 Civic LX

I need a rough idea of how long this would take with all the proper tools. I'm 30k miles overdue and tight on time.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement (gbodybilly)

bump im looking into this as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A weekend.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Ditto

A weekend if its your first time.

A few hours if you've done it before or mechanically inclined.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RotiEatter)

Should be a weekend if you havent done it before. This does not include all the reading and research you have to do. Needless to say there is much preparation and tools needed.

It took me a weekend and I am mechanically inclined. Even then, I need assistance when it came time to put it all back. By all means lining up the timing belt with the cam and crank will be your biggest challenge. Do it wrong, and it will be costly.

I have a 96 Civic EX. When my water pump gave out at 80K miles, my car was overheating. In addtion to changing my water pump and timing belt, I had the head milled, changed all the seals including cam and crankshaft (bolt can be hard to get off), all belts, thermostat switch, thermostat, spark plug wires and spark plugs, rotor and cap, changed radiator. Yes, I took the time to replace anything I could think of. You could say I had money to burn at the time. Oh, got all my parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com...ask for River. He gets it right the first time.

Get some help when it is time to line up timing belt. Everything else, if you are mechanically inclined, will be common sense. I paid my friend $200 to help me out. Car is working well.

Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it should only thake about 5-8 hrs but always give yourself twice as much time to do it. just read up first and there is no better way to learn than to do it your self
Old 08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Electrician

You can cut the time down by half if you have air tools plus a big impact gun. If you're using hand tools, good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Ditto

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can cut the time down by half if you have air tools plus a big impact gun. If you're using hand tools, good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really.... Unless you are weak as ****.

It took about 6-8 hours to do my water pump, timing belt, and remove my balance shaft on my H22 in Civic. That's a lot more cramped then a sohc. I had to drop a motor mount....

It really wasn't that bad though... just took time to move the motor up and down as needed...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not really.... Unless you are weak as ****.

It took about 6-8 hours to do my water pump, timing belt, and remove my balance shaft on my H22 in Civic. That's a lot more cramped then a sohc. I had to drop a motor mount....

It really wasn't that bad though... just took time to move the motor up and down as needed... </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you know what youre doing, it should take no longer than 1hour 15mins to do belt and pump using air tools. air tools has saved my *** on more than one occasion...
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: (99problemssss)

I'm not a big fan of wrong wheel, um, I mean, front wheel drive, especially when it comes to working on them (see sig). In any case, I have the factory service manual at hand and have Moroso's crankshaft pulley tool on order. I'm 15k miles overdue on the pulley, I think (I just got the damn thing less than 2 weeks ago and 600 miles later, I'm sitting at 120k on the odometer). I was told to replace the water pump as well which looks like no big deal. Is there anything else I need to look into replacing (other than the obvious drive belts and seals)? I don't know how you would fit anything other than hand tools in that area, given its location though, I do have most every piece of air tool you can buy. You name it, 5-1, I own one. But, I guess I'll see what happens, hopefully this weekend.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Ditto

Default Re: (99problemssss)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99problemssss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you know what youre doing, it should take no longer than 1hour 15mins to do belt and pump using air tools. air tools has saved my *** on more than one occasion...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm in Lawrenceville... come to my house and do it on a H22 Civic in a hour and 15 minutes... I doubt it.

But yeah, it shouldn't take very long on a SOHC and I did more than just timing belt and water pump while it was off.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your biggest challenge is getting the crank pully nut off. You are going to need a big strong impact or a large breaker bar. Search and you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Ditto

Default Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement (Buzzbomb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buzzbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your biggest challenge is getting the crank pully nut off. You are going to need a big strong impact or a large breaker bar. Search and you'll see what I mean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know, I tend to find that doing it with hand tools and a breaker bar with a torque bar seems to work a lot better than the impact gun.... but then again I use a Husky compressor and Husky impact gun [Home Depot] stuff, may not be as good as the **** they use at a shop.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did this on my Ls motor in my hatch and it took me about 30 minutes.... now if you actually were to have to take the head off for a headgasket or somthing, now we are talking a couple hours, or a weekend.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Some people also replace the front oil seal????
Old 09-01-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement (LShatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm in Lawrenceville... come to my house and do it on a H22 Civic in a hour and 15 minutes... I doubt it.

But yeah, it shouldn't take very long on a SOHC and I did more than just timing belt and water pump while it was off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well yea, an H22 in a civic? damn. I'm in Dunwoody, is that a hatch? clearly those are more involved than a SOHC.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gbodybilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">97 Civic LX

I need a rough idea of how long this would take with all the proper tools. I'm 30k miles overdue and tight on time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason i got air tools in 1st place was b/c i was using a long *** breaker bar the length of the frikken car and couldnt get the hub nut off -same goes for the pulley. If torq'd on correctly, you will NOT get that sucker off with just hand tools, the motor would keep turning over (yea i know there r weak strategies around that) . You WILL need an impact gun and will make life easier on you for sure. After that, with just hand tools, 2-3hrs if it's your 1st time -all relative to your skill level or mechanical ability of course.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buzzbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your biggest challenge is getting the crank pully nut off. You are going to need a big strong impact or a large breaker bar. Search and you'll see what I mean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't be a problem. Moroso PN 61805. Like I said, ..<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gbodybilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">97 Civic LX

I need a rough idea of how long this would take with all the proper tools. I'm 30k miles overdue and tight on time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetmech53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some people also replace the front oil seal???? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I have an exploded view in front of me and not sure what you're referring to. Please elaborate. Location-wise?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

I'm going to try to do this weekend with my father. The car has 96k miles on it. What all parts do I need/ should replace at the same time?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement (cbmprelude)

I did it on my GSR in about 20 mins... but the motor was out of the car and air tools

Took about an hour when i did it in the car.

First time i changed a timing belt and water pump was on a H22. Man do i hate auto tensioners. That **** took me like a day to figure out how they work. But once i got it it was a sinch.

Just take your time and dont rush. Everything you need you could find on this site.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 AM

Total work time: about 10 hours.

If you take away the amount of time I had trouble with the water pump, I'd say about 6 hours, soup to nuts, including taking off both wheels, down to putting tools away and car running.

Apparently, the water pump had been replaced prior to me purchasing the car (which I did a little over 2 weeks ago) but whoever did it, did a half *** job and used shorter bolts than the original M6x1.00x35mm. It took me a little while to figure out why the bolts were spinning freely and I couldn't tell if the threads inside the engine were okay. After a stop at Home Depot this morning, no worries. I used a Moroso crankcase tool to hold the crankshaft pulley down to loosen the bolt. Outside of that, all the other tools are commonplace. Thing to note, there is a lower engine mount that is on the driver's side that has to be discoonnected in order to take off the Alt belt and AC belts unless you don't plan on replacing them (which, I guess, could be left hanging). Personally, I recommend getting the factory manual especially for stuff like this. Oh, also, with the front end on jacks, I recommend supporting the engine via jack and removing both engine support mounts (the lower one I already mentioned and there's the upper one, too) prior to removing anything on that side of the motor. That'll clear up a whole lot more room to work with. Also count on losing about just under a gallon of coolant.