Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing belt/water pump project questons...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt/water pump project questons...

i am planning on changing my timing belt and water pump on my 95coupe (d16z6) here in the next month or so and had a few questions regarding the job:

1. after reading my haynes manual i am confused as to which type of water pump i have, how do i know if i have the kind that has the sprocket right on the pump or the one that has the pulley that gets bolted onto the water pump?

2. the pro street kit looks good, comes with t-belt, tensioner, and water pump for $143. does anyone recommend any different brand?

3. along with the water pump, t-belt, and tensioner is there any other parts that would be recommended to service at this time?

4. as long as the valve timing is set correctly with the marks on the cam and crank sprockets, am i correct in saying that spark timing does not need to be touched? in other words do i need to go get a timing gun?

5. how hard of a job is this? i am pretty good at working on stuff like this, but this is my first honda and i am just a little nervous since i have never worked on one.

that is all i can think of right now, i am sure i will have other questions at some point. thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: timing belt/water pump project questons... (judunty84)

first off throw the hanyes away, then check your pm. and find the correct section, and follow the directions.

its not hard the hardest part is removing the pulley bolt. someone has a detailed step by step diy on the boards aswell search the archive
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by judunty84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am planning on changing my timing belt and water pump on my 95coupe (d16z6) here in the next month or so and had a few questions regarding the job:

1. after reading my haynes manual i am confused as to which type of water pump i have, how do i know if i have the kind that has the sprocket right on the pump or the one that has the pulley that gets bolted onto the water pump?

2. the pro street kit looks good, comes with t-belt, tensioner, and water pump for $143. does anyone recommend any different brand?

3. along with the water pump, t-belt, and tensioner is there any other parts that would be recommended to service at this time?

4. as long as the valve timing is set correctly with the marks on the cam and crank sprockets, am i correct in saying that spark timing does not need to be touched? in other words do i need to go get a timing gun?

5. how hard of a job is this? i am pretty good at working on stuff like this, but this is my first honda and i am just a little nervous since i have never worked on one.

that is all i can think of right now, i am sure i will have other questions at some point. thanks for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

the timing doen't have to be touched at all, just make sure you have the motor set at TDC before taking anything off.

as for the parts go, where are you planning on purchasing them from? i know the dealer is alittle pricer, but they have a lesser rate of selling a defective part. these are crucial parts that you do not wanting to go bad.

and for your engine, i'm not to familar with the d series but i believe your engine is a SOHC VTEC. they should only have 2 type of pumps. one for non-vtec and one for vtec. if you go your dealer they can get you the right one.

good luck on your project, this is a good thing that you are willing to learn on how to DIY. it's a great learning experience and a great feel of accomplishment when done!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 PM

make sure u get new seal for the PUMP!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ans while ur at it get a new cam and crank seal. too bad you dont live hear in LA, i could hook you up with OE honda parts at employee price
Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: (usmcpab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usmcpab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ans while ur at it get a new cam and crank seal. too bad you dont live hear in LA, i could hook you up with OE honda parts at employee price</TD></TR></TABLE>

UPS and USPS dont pick up from LA?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: timing belt/water pump project questons... (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off throw the hanyes away, then check your pm. and find the correct section, and follow the directions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is my pm?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usmcpab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ans while ur at it get a new cam and crank seal. too bad you dont live hear in LA, i could hook you up with OE honda parts at employee price</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was planning on doing those seals, along with new v-belts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for the parts go, where are you planning on purchasing them from? i know the dealer is alittle pricer, but they have a lesser rate of selling a defective part. these are crucial parts that you do not wanting to go bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i planned on getting this kit http://www.prostreetonline.com....html
unless someone had another suggestion.

thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated and gave me a lot of good info!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me know when you take off the crank pulley bolt. i'm in the process of doing a timing belt/water pump job myself, but having trouble taking the bolt...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by judunty84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what is my pm?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL nevermind...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM

1) I am not fimilar with the D series motors so sorry i can't help you there.

2) I did my timing belt/water pump change with a kit from Pro Street and i have not had any problems. (The only thing in my kit that was OEM Honda was the tension spring. )

3)Change you plugs, wires, and dizzy cap if you have not recently.

4)It wouldn't hurt to check your timing, but as long as everything is lined up correctly then it is not required.

5) If you are mechanically incline then this is not hard at all. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. Follow the Hynes manual, and read up on a couple of write up's on here and you should be fine.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: timing belt/water pump project questons... (1992HondaCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL nevermind... </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i figured it out, sorry im new to HT. thanks for the manual though, it is greatly appreciated. will come in handy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceKillinSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2) I did my timing belt/water pump change with a kit from Pro Street and i have not had any problems. (The only thing in my kit that was OEM Honda was the tension spring. )

3)Change you plugs, wires, and dizzy cap if you have not recently.

4)It wouldn't hurt to check your timing, but as long as everything is lined up correctly then it is not required.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i think i am going to go with the pro street kit, seems pretty comprehensive.

i have had the car for about 3 months and so far i have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tranny fluid, oil and filter, fuel filter, and i think that is it.

souonds pretty similar to my neon (although the neon was distributor-less, i am clueless on spark timing but seems pretty simple for the valve timing, just line up the marks!)

thanks again for the help
Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by any chance you took off the crank pulley bolt yet? trying to see what you did to get it off...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by judunty84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am planning on changing my timing belt and water pump on my 95coupe (d16z6) here in the next month or so and had a few questions regarding the job:</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am not changing it right now, i am just getting prepared
Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just finished the timing belt job it wasn't so bad after all.