Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched.

I've searched around for timing belt issues. I seem to get the breadth of whats going on, but I have a more specific question.
I know my timing belt is too right, and that I need to loosen it. However, the tensioner is already completely loose. And even still the timing belt was nearly impossible to get on. Even after I got it on there I knew something wasn't right. I'm beginning to think I may just have the wrong timing belt. The engine does have a slighly larger headgasket, but it's not by much. We're talking maybe half of a millimeter extra in width of it.

The engine is a B16A. Unfortuntely I don't know what year car the engine came out of. The water pump I bought for it came from a 1999 Civic Si and fit fine. The 1999 Civic Si timing belt however, only fit because of devine intervention and alot of patience.

Are there any differences in the timing belts between the years on these engines? Is there anything else that could account for the timing belt being so tight?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched. (Jeffrey9)

Do you spy any numbers on the belt??

How tight is it? In neutral state, there is minimal belt deflection between cams, intake side, and exhaust side?? Water pump should be a 22 tooth...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffrey9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've searched around for timing belt issues. I seem to get the breadth of whats going on, but I have a more specific question.
I know my timing belt is too right, and that I need to loosen it. However, the tensioner is already completely loose. And even still the timing belt was nearly impossible to get on. Even after I got it on there I knew something wasn't right. I'm beginning to think I may just have the wrong timing belt. The engine does have a slighly larger headgasket, but it's not by much. We're talking maybe half of a millimeter extra in width of it.

The engine is a B16A. Unfortuntely I don't know what year car the engine came out of. The water pump I bought for it came from a 1999 Civic Si and fit fine. The 1999 Civic Si timing belt however, only fit because of devine intervention and alot of patience.

Are there any differences in the timing belts between the years on these engines? Is there anything else that could account for the timing belt being so tight?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

when initially putting on the belt, it's going to be tight. it's not going to slip on like a alternator or compressor belt. if the tensioner is loose as can be then you are fine. do not over tighten, it will damage the cam gears!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched. (philosofy1)

Don't know about cam gears but I do know that if it's too tight it will mess up the bearing area in the head because the cams are pulled down into it....
Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

when initially putting on the belt, it's going to be tight. it's not going to slip on like a alternator or compressor belt. if the tensioner is loose as can be then you are fine. do not over tighten, it will damage the cam gears!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, it should slide on with ease, given he adjusts the cam gears while sliding on the belt, to allow for slack.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't know about cam gears but I do know that if it's too tight it will mess up the bearing area in the head because the cams are pulled down into it....</TD></TR></TABLE>

true. This will also cause premature belt failure, make noise, and kill the water pump bearing faster as well
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched. (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, it should slide on with ease, given he adjusts the cam gears while sliding on the belt, to allow for slack.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm...IDK, i had my tensioner as loose as possible and my timing belt didn't slide on. it has the slack needed now, going on 40,000 mile and no problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, tensioner is totally loose, and I am turning the cams slightly for the sake of slack. I understand these belts are not exactly an easy job. But this is different. Something is wrong here. It's WAY too tight. Belt whining. Even that brand new water pump already sounds like the bearing is on it's way out.

The belt is Honda OEM for a 1999 Civic Si. 124 teeth on both the old belt and the new. I'll check for numbers later.

Same question. Any deviations between timing belts on the B16A's? Because I have no idea what car this engine came out of. I only had the engine code to go off of. So I bought the timing belt that went with the water pump that fit.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a year stamped on the left side of the head, just above the exhaust manifold.. It's in a round circle with a slash between the two numbers.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched. (geebs)

I have the old belt and new. I'll get the valve cover off later to check the #'s. I'll check for the year as well.

The water pump is 22 teeth.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16's are all the same deck height and layout so unless you have a B16B block, your belt SHOULD work. Obviously, it is not. How thick is your head gasket?

Ryan
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM

maybe you have a b18 block?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: Timing belt is too tight on b16a. Searched. (JDM_320R)

make sure the tensioner is properly installed on the dowel as well!!!