Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing belt loose on ej8

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt loose on ej8

Well after determining that my timing belt is too tight on my d16y8, i went through the process of adjusting the tension from what the manual says to do. After i tightened the adjusting bolt i thought i was all set but now it is way too loose and when i crank it the right side becomes loose and the right side becomes tight. When i crank it again the left side becomes loose and the right side becomes tight. I went through the process again and it still does that. When i push on the right side i can see the spring moving. Can some one please help on what to do? Also is there any way to fix this with out removing the bottom cover, i already have the top cover off.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt loose on ej8

nope best way is to take lower cover off and loosen the tentioner bolt and then rotate the motor till u get even slack in both side of belt lightly snug up tentioner bolt and the take a RUBBER hammer (small) and tap the tentioner in good and tight and then tighten bolt rest of the way and trun motor around by hand(socket) and adjust as needed
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
nope best way is to take lower cover off and loosen the tentioner bolt and then rotate the motor till u get even slack in both side of belt lightly snug up tentioner bolt and the take a RUBBER hammer (small) and tap the tentioner in good and tight and then tighten bolt rest of the way and trun motor around by hand(socket) and adjust as needed
you don't have a pop out cover over the adjuster bolt? i didn't even know there was one on the d in the 98 until i cleaned up the cover for paint. it looked like part of the cover but it pops out to adjust the bolt.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no u dont have to take cover off to get to the bolt but how are u goin to PROPERLY adjust the tentioner itself with out cover off
Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 AM
longest project ever

no u dont have to take cover off to get to the bolt but how are u goin to PROPERLY adjust the tentioner itself with out cover off
all you have to do is loosen the bolt, rotate the engine a few time COUNTER CLOCKWISE and retighten the bolt to the proper torque. the spring is supposed to initially set the tension, but the adjuster bolt locks the adjuster pulley in place. you are talking about the adjuster with the bolt that goes through the center right? the spring doesn't do anything once it's set, the adjuster bolt locks the bearing in the middle of the pulley. it can slide up and down on that slot, but once you tighten it it's locked in place. the hole is to adjust the tension midway through the life of the belt.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ yes u can do it that way but everyone has there own way of doin things i just like my way sometimes for what ever reason ^^ ur way does not always take ALL the tension out
Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hopefully the tensioner isn't shot. thats a hell of alot of slack to adjust.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
longest project ever

^ yes u can do it that way but everyone has there own way of doin things i just like my way sometimes for what ever reason ^^ ur way does not always take ALL the tension out
I'm following the factory procedure, if setting the timing that way is what Honda says to do, whats the problem with it? there is supposed to be a certain amount of slack on one side, that's normal. I hope the tensioner was replaced when he replaced the belt, I always order a new spring too.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Trial User

I didn't get a new tensioner, i wasn't aware that was supposed to be changed, so i need a new tensioner since it does not adjust using the factory procedure. But i got all the slack out and it runs now.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by willowcairns
I didn't get a new tensioner, i wasn't aware that was supposed to be changed, so i need a new tensioner since it does not adjust using the factory procedure. But i got all the slack out and it runs now.
I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with the existing tensioner,. the only thing that could fail on it, is the bearing or spring. when you changed the belt, did you accidentally knock off the spring? all that happens, is when you loosen the adjusting bolt, the spring pulls up on the arm, and this puts tension on the belt by it moving up where the belt goes over it. the tensioner is extremely simple, the bolt goes through the center of it, through a slot, one end is hooked on a pivot pin on the block, the other end is hooked to the spring, with no tension on the bolt, the spring pulls the tensioner up on the slot, this tensions the belt, when you torque the adjusting bolt,it locks the tensioner pulley in that position on the slot. there isn't much that would make it not adjust other then that spring being off, the tensioner being off the pivot, or the spring broke.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM
longest project ever

the reason you always replace the tensioner, is if the bearing seizes, it will chew through the timing belt in no time, and then it's good bye engine. you can get them in a kit, I always use gates, rock auto has the kit really reasonable. did you replace the crank pulley bolt? Honda has a new bolt and tighting procedure