Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing belt broke... valves????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt broke... valves????

ok here is my problem... when my motor mount broke... my timing belt broke too... i changed both things.. the motor mount and the belt... but now it seems like the car is running slower that it used to run.... may be my valves are fucked up... right??? i can hear "tiky tiky tiky" like knoking it's not so loud... but i can feel it if i stick a metal on the valve cover... i don't know.. what should i do?
Old 06-01-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: timing belt broke... valves???? (HaTcH_ BmX)

sorry... i know that i shouldn't post this here... so feel free to move it.. or delete it..
sorry
Old 06-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

valve adjustment.

good luck.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your valve clearances. Perhaps that will solve your problems. Hopefully you didn't bend your valves at all when your timing belt broke.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:36 PM

yes i hope i didn;t bent them... anyways... i'm gonna adjust the valves to see what happens.... thanks guys
Old 06-01-2003, 02:34 PM

In my old accord, the timing belt broke, but I thought that the car was just running sluggish, so I drove it back home... 20 miles on the highway... Then next time I drove it, it went about 10 feet then died... Turned out that the timing belt snapped, then managed to shear off the end of the camshaft...

Make sure you check that out too, it may have caused some damage...
Old 06-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt broke... valves???? (ShakesTheKlown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShakesTheKlown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my old accord, the timing belt broke, but I thought that the car was just running sluggish, so I drove it back home... 20 miles on the highway... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. I didn't think a car could move at all with a broken timing belt... let alone shear of the end of the camshaft. I just thought that once the belt broke, one couldn't shut the engine off fast enough to prevent severe valve damage.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt broke... valves???? (94RedSiGal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94RedSiGal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow. I didn't think a car could move at all with a broken timing belt... let alone shear of the end of the camshaft. I just thought that once the belt broke, one couldn't shut the engine off fast enough to prevent severe valve damage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, thats the case. I think what he meant to say was that the belt started to rip and he somehow managed to drive it home 20 miles. The next time he started it the belt actually snapped in that 10ft trip he took. If hte belt was completely broken the engine shouldnt have started.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:40 PM

exactly... if your belt is broken... then the crank doesn't move... unless you put something there to make it move....my automotive techer told me.. that he was driving his chevy and the belt broke... he had a rope or something on his car ( i dont remember what it was) and he put it on there and he could he back home.... he was only 3 blocks away from his house... but.. hey... at least he got home
Old 06-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HaTcH_ BmX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exactly... if your belt is broken... then the crank doesn't move... </TD></TR></TABLE>Okay. Thanks guys. I take my timining belt replacement schedule very seriously. Actually the first replacement belt on my current car was defective. I went down to Atlanta and back on it and noticed engine knock. Also poor gas mileage. Ran out of gas on the NJ Turnpike going south, when I would always get gas at the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Made it home and demanded that my dealership check my new timing belt. They didn't want to and poo pooed my theory. They blamed bad gasoline for my woes. I made them look at it anyways and they discovered that the belt was shredding badly. Tthey fixed it while I waited, and at no charge of course.

I may not know alot mechanically yet, but I am always right when I think my car is feeling sick... which is hardly ever.