Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing belt...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt...

Alright I know I might get burned for asking and I am having a hell of a time trying to get the timing belt on the engine. I have been through the helms manual and followed to the "T", and I have tried other methods as well... I have done the research and I cannot get this damn belt on!!! I timed how long I worked on it last night and I worked on it for 4 hours straight before I decided to give up.

PS: Yes I loosened the belt tensioner. AND I double checked the part # on the belt to make sure I had the right belt and yes I have the right belt.

One other thing, I am right there as far as getting it on, but I cant figure out how to get that extra umpf to get it on the gear.

engine type: B18b

Modified by TXGrunt at 10:06 AM 11/30/2007
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt... (TXGrunt)

ttt
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Maybe pics to see what you are working with exactly?

Lets help this guy out
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

I sometimes have a hard time getting the belt over both cam gears, so this is what I have tried, and it works fairly well.

Try putting the belt on the intake cam gear so that there are about 6-7 teeth of the belt on the cam gear (this is assuming you already have the belt on the crank shaft, tensioner, and water pump), and with a ratchet rotate the intake cam gear counter clock-wise. This should give you some more belt to play with to get it over the exhaust cam gear.

Be sure to take into consideration how far you will rotate the intake cam gear, so you can adjust prior to putting the belt on so that it will be timed properly after you get the belt over the exhaust cam gear.

I hope that makes senses, Good Luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: (Ketone)

I've never seen this problem before.

Can you loosen the tensioner any more?

I usually start at the cam gear and work my way up towards the cam. You have a DOHC so it'd be cams, but same principle...gotta remember, belt's still new and taught, a t-belt isn't exactly the type of thing you want to have slack in. It'll stretch a bit once you tensioner it - hopefully that's all it'll stretch.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: (Syndacate)

Motor in or out of the car? If its out its easier but if its in car you could still do this. Get a long flat head and press on the area of the tensioner with the spring down. That will give you more slack. Also if you picked up a new tensioner make sure you didnt put it on upside down as you will never get the belt on if you did.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Motor in or out of the car? If its out its easier but if its in car you could still do this. Get a long flat head and press on the area of the tensioner with the spring down. That will give you more slack. Also if you picked up a new tensioner make sure you didnt put it on upside down as you will never get the belt on if you did. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the motor is out of the car and mounted on a engine stand.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never seen this problem before.

Can you loosen the tensioner any more?

I usually start at the cam gear and work my way up towards the cam. You have a DOHC so it'd be cams, but same principle...gotta remember, belt's still new and taught, a t-belt isn't exactly the type of thing you want to have slack in. It'll stretch a bit once you tensioner it - hopefully that's all it'll stretch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I cant loosen the tensioner any more.. I have actually tried taking the whole pulley off, put the belt on and remount the pulley. (that didnt work)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ketone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I sometimes have a hard time getting the belt over both cam gears, so this is what I have tried, and it works fairly well.

Try putting the belt on the intake cam gear so that there are about 6-7 teeth of the belt on the cam gear (this is assuming you already have the belt on the crank shaft, tensioner, and water pump), and with a ratchet rotate the intake cam gear counter clock-wise. This should give you some more belt to play with to get it over the exhaust cam gear.

Be sure to take into consideration how far you will rotate the intake cam gear, so you can adjust prior to putting the belt on so that it will be timed properly after you get the belt over the exhaust cam gear.

I hope that makes senses, Good Luck!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, I will give this a shot when I get home from work.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Re: (TXGrunt)

What are the part numbers for the waterpump and timing belt that you have?

Timing belt should be a 14400-P7J-004

Water pump should be a 19400-PR4-013 if it's a 94/95 B18B; 19200-P75-003 if it's a 96-01 B18B

...these are of course OE Honda/Acura part numbers as that's all I'd EVER put on the engine.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Well I finally got the belt on... Well after work today I took the belt and the box with me to Advance Auto and I asked them to get me another belt with the same brand and product id. They did and I compared both of the belts and they were different. I sat there fighting with the manager trying to tell her that they weren't the same belts! She actually sat there and said "They are the same belt because the boxes both have the same product id number!" She was rude about it I might add. I couldnt believe she was telling me that they were the same thing when right there you can see that one belt is longer than the other!!! I also pointed out that it may have been possible that the belt was put in the wrong box. Well long story short I got the right timing belt and it slipped on with no issues.

PS: sorry I had to vent.