Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing affecting performance/starting

Old 10-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing affecting performance/starting

Would the timing be off lead to your car not starting.

FYI on the situation, I changed the headgasket with a friend. We follwoed the manual to a tee. Couldnt get crank pulley belt off. Got the bright idea to just slip the belt back on the cam and put the cam gear back on. Car wont start. I went through the basic car wont start thihngs like checking for fuel, spark, etc. Also have brand new wires and plugs. Car wants to start but wont. SO I said forget it and called Honda to get a timing belt change quote and they said $205 labor and $45 parts. I cant pass that up, but I want to know if timing would have that much affect on my car not starting.

BTW...I dont need to be flamed for my stupidity. It was a spur of the moment thing. I am already knowing that I should have done it the right way the first time and I learned my lesson.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it would affect your performance. when i had my timing belt done, the guy who did it set it off 2 or 3 teeth on the belt, and it was a pain to start and ran/idled like crap until it was fixed. dont know if this is any help or the answer you were looking for, but i tried.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:12 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mnskateboarder)

damn thats the cheapist timing belt change ive herd of yet!!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Timing affecting performance/starting (specv5150)

YES....valve timing and ignition timing are critical to the engines performance and ability to run and start.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn thats the cheapist timing belt change ive herd of yet!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I KNOW. I **** myself when she said $205 labor and $45 for the belt.....and this is at Honda!! Had I known that, I would have let them do it from the start. I always read on here to expect to pay anywhere from $500 -$1000. I made sure I asked her this includes changing the belt AND setting the timing back to stock. I am pretty sure everything else is good. I wasnt gfetting fuel at first, so i fixed that. Timing is the only thing I could think of.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

Just in case someone searches and comes across this topic.

When my car wouldnt start, the timing was two notches off according to the dealership report.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know how come your car is not starting? Ill tell you why...cus once you pull off the cam gear or turned the crank pulley. Your timing is totally off...and I bet its at fully RETARDED right now...thats why its shooting the sparks late and thats why your car isnt starting. Try this...it will work and it might get your car to start. Turn your distributor all the way left...towards to the firewall. This way it'll advance your timing more and maybe your car might start but it'll run like crap...but hey it starts. Find something who knows how to do timing belts and set it back to TDC (TOP DEAD CENTER). Thats all I have to say. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trooper0641)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trooper0641 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know how come your car is not starting? Ill tell you why...cus once you pull off the cam gear or turned the crank pulley. Your timing is totally off...and I bet its at fully RETARDED right now...thats why its shooting the sparks late and thats why your car isnt starting. Try this...it will work but it might get your car to start. Turn your distributor all the way left...towards to the firewall. This way it'll advance your timing more and maybe your car might start but it'll run like crap...but hey it starts. Find something who knows how to do timing belts and set it back to TDC (TOP DEAD CENTER). Thats all I have to say. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually did what you suggested and my car STILL didnt start. The problem is resolved. I updated it with I was told just so if anyone else ran into this problem, they would know that your timing being two notches off will/may lead to your car not starting. Took it to the dealership and let the pros do it.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn thats the cheapist timing belt change ive herd of yet!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quoted $130 for labor. Being by the border is awesome.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I actually did what you suggested and my car STILL didnt start. The problem is resolved. I updated it with I was told just so if anyone else ran into this problem, they would know that your timing being two notches off will/may lead to your car not starting. Took it to the dealership and let the pros do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually i had the same problem like you did. I try install my skunk2 cam gear and believed that i could put it back to tdc w/ no sweat. But i was inexperienced and messed up...so i got one of my friends to do it and bam my car starts and vtec is awesome. LOL
Old 10-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trooper0641)

and yes timing is everything....if you turned your dizzy all the way advanced and still your car doesnt start...well dam your timing is off hardcore style...its SOOO retarted that by even making it fully advanced, it wont start it. DAM!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I admit what I did was VERRRRRRRRRRRY noobish and I was almost embarrased to admit it on here, but hey if someoen can learn from my mistake...the better off they are. I should have known better to half *** the timing. Luckily I didnt break other **** trying to start it. The dealership was actually pretty cool about it. I thoguht they were gonna rape me.