Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing advance modification kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing advance modification kit

I saw on ebay....on a timing advance modification kit for all models of Honda Civic from 1989-2002. This is a do-it-yourself kit. This modification requires detailed instructions as well as a few small pieces not included but available at almost any electronics store. This will tap into your engines computer and tell it that cooler air is entering the car, which results in more horsepower (up to 20 more!) and more torque and better acceleration. It claims to release the potential of your engine. The car makes a power limiter on engines due to legal regulations. Now I believe sharing knowledge is a good thing unlike some really greedy *** peolpe who try to sell information that should be free. Does anyone know about this or have tried it on there civic? If so can u post up detailed information for others who want to try this mod? I hope someone out there can help.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (Civic LX 29)

I am usually careful of stuff on Ebay , especially these deals where they sell you instructions . The only way I would even attempt it would be if it was verified through a major company . That way if it screws your motor up you can go back and might be able to get something back out of the deal . Ebay you on your own . But hey I might be wrong and it might be a worth while thing . Becareful if you plan on doing it yourself .
Old 06-02-2002, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been too fond of anything that "tricks" and engine. This one makes the engine think it's getting colder air? Others make the ecu think you are at WOT. Not a good idea if you ask me.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (94HybridEx)

Anyone else got a post to contribute?
Old 06-02-2002, 05:39 PM

Come on people. I know some has had to have tried this mod on there car..... I need to know if it works and how it works. Fully detailed. THANKS
Old 06-03-2002, 04:58 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one resistor, two resistor, etc.

$2 inparts and sell for HOW MUCH??????
Old 06-03-2002, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (Mista Bone)

There trying to sell it for like $50.00. Can u give me detailed information on how to do this mod or r u going to be a jew like the people on ebay and sell it to me

Help me out someone!!
Old 06-03-2002, 10:23 AM

Ive never heared of anyone using some "kit" to change their timing on a civic, and think that such a claim that it would gain upwards of 20hp are completely false. Correct me if Im wrong, if this kit makes your intake air temp sensor think that the air is colder why dont you just try it out and see if it works by pulling the temp sensor and taping it to an icepack??? Just so you know though, the reason y the computer retards timing when the intake temp goes up is so that you dont get knocking in the engine. Can't you just loosen three bolts and turn the distributor forward to advance timing on a civic????

[Modified by Avante, 7:24 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (Avante)

Can't you just loosen three bolts and turn the distributor forward to advance timing on a civic????
Yes.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (94HybridEx)

how?? I need detailed instructions please. If thats the case I want to try it out!!
Old 06-03-2002, 03:38 PM

don't waste your money. Sure you can trick your ECU into thinking it has colder air, but theres one problem, YOU DONT HAVE COLDER AIR GOING IN! Your car is going to run worse. Not good
Old 06-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (CivicEx95)

yea, i cant understand why ppl want to do that. in order to make more power, u need more oxygen. trick the the ecu think it cold(more oxygen) doesnt help.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (spoon_ek9)

I cut out the ends of my distributor slots to get more ignition advance 22degrees to be exact and I have to run 94 octane or my car pings like a bitch.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:32 PM

don't waste your money on this gimmick!!! hahah if you look at all his auctions (link provided below) notice how REGARDLESS of the make/model of the car.. the HP gain is 20HP.. whether its an integra, a Civic, Cavalier, Celica, probe, etc.. wtf?

is this the same kit sold by a guy on e-bay who claims his mod will make you QUOTE "watch your quarter mile times INCREASE" which supposedly is a good thing in that auction? notice how the bidder list is private.. so other people cant warn the bidders that their getting jacked so they can retract their bid or whatever... damn ppl paid $61 + 4 ship for those "instructions?" haha

let me try and find the link

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=199007

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...137602&r=0&t=0

here is what was said in the auction:

You are bidding on a timing advance modification kit for all models of Acura Integra from 1994-2001. This do-it-yourself kit takes no knowledge of cars and is extremely easy to install. This modification requires the detailed instructions included as well as a few small pieces not included but available at almost any electronics store. This will tap into your engines computer and tell it that cooler air is entering the car, which results in more horsepower (up to 20 more!) and more torque and better acceleration. This is exactly what those expensive chips do...for a fraction of the cost. This will release the potential of your engine. Remember that car makes must limit power on engines due to legal regulations. This is one of those modifications that takes that legal barrier off and allows your engine to breathe and go faster than before...it is 100% safe for your car, and can be removed anytime (if you are worried about your warranty) without any damage! It's that simple! This is great for stock or modified Integra's, and it will give you that extra boost that you'll feel when you beat that other guy you're racing. This is similar to nascar and formula one racing cars techniques on the track...watch your quarter mile times increase. You don't need any tools to install it and you can do it in your driveway in less than 5 minutes! I did this mod to my car as well, trust me, you can feel the difference when you hit the gas...shipping is $4.00 in the U.S. and I accept PayPal, International Money Orders, and Personal Cheques. There is NO RESERVE! Good luck and happy bidding everyone

WoW!! looks like this guy is getting some money off this "gimmick" look at his other auctions for other makes and models.. haha i guess he hasn't "made" a product for german/luxury applications yet..

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...tmodifications

[Modified by GSRaCeRbOI, 5:46 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (GSRaCeRbOI)

im gonna call BS
dont waste the money
Old 06-03-2002, 04:56 PM

I dont know what this kit is. But, you cant get 20hp out of advancing you timing on ANY car. It proboly tells you how to rotate your disributer. Any mechanic can do that. You can advance the timeing this way a couple of degree if you use 93 octane. You will get slightly better throttle responce and 1-3 hp if you are lucky. Is it worth it? I dont think so.. . . Just my $.02
Old 06-03-2002, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Timing advance modification kit (GSRaCeRbOI)

good point gsraceboi

THANKS