Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing.

Looking for general information about timing. Do adjustable cam gears on a sohc serve any real purpose? Also need information about ignition timing (which i know nothing about)...just need a good DIY ignition timing tuning link.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Timing. (Ragecloak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ragecloak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking for general information about timing. Do adjustable cam gears on a sohc serve any real purpose? Also need information about ignition timing (which i know nothing about)...just need a good DIY ignition timing tuning link.</TD></TR></TABLE>
an adjustable cam GEAR on a sohc ....it can help if you...say....have an aftermarket cam...you could get opt. power ....but thats if you set it while tuning to get it right. if you just put one on...i dont see it helping.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing. (murmur9)

but really it cant give you any extra hp, just adjust where your peak hp is, no?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing. (Ragecloak)

Adjusting the cam timing would adjust when the valves open and close. Adjusting at the Dizzy adjusts the spark timing. I have not messed with either on the Honda. But on the Vette (carb 350) I got ALOT more performance when I re-curved the distributor timing. NOt that any of this really helps, just adds to the discussion.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustable cam gears I assume would be good to retard the timing on higher compression engines to prevent detonation, but otherwise it's just for show and that's why some people cut holes in the side of their valve cover and timing cover. If you're not sure how to adjust them, then leaving them at 0 would be your best bet.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (deSigi)

Cam gear(s) adjusts the cams timing in reference to the crank or pistons. Which will change the point when the valves open and close. Ignition timing adjusts when the spark is fired for combustion (you can advance or retard (delay) the spark). Ignition timing is usually adjusted to prevent detonation. If your boosted you want to retard the ignition, so that it doesn't inginite to early (while the piston is still coming up). check out http://www.c-speedracing.com for how to adjust both. howstuffworks.com will probably give a better explanation of how an engine works.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

heh, actually, i understand how they work, i just want to know some information for tuning them for more hp.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (Ragecloak)

An adjustable cam gear in theory "I haven't tried one on a civic" will adjust your power curve. If you open the intake valve earlier and close it earlier you will get more lowend power, but lose top end power. Opening the valve later and closing it later will kill your low end power "relative term" and give you top end power. The same is true with adjusting ignition timing to a degree.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSX TO CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSX TO CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An adjustable cam gear in theory "I haven't tried one on a civic" will adjust your power curve. If you open the intake valve earlier and close it earlier you will get more lowend power, but lose top end power. Opening the valve later and closing it later will kill your low end power "relative term" and give you top end power. The same is true with adjusting ignition timing to a degree.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ah, thanks for the clarification on ignition timing. I understood basically how the cam timing adjusts where you want your power at, but not ignition timing and that makes sense
Can you specify a little more? You said "to a degree"...meaning what? Seems like if you have a good vtec cam, you wouldnt really need to adjust cam timing for sohc engines, but what about ignition timing? Does it come from the factory with ignition timing set to give most power at top end?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: (Ragecloak)

By to a degree I meant that it won't be as noticable as a cam adjustment. I would guess that advancing the timing a few degrees would give you a few more hp on the top end. The best way to set timing IMO is to use a vaccum gauge on a vaccum line going to the intake manifold. Adjust the timing by turning the distributor untill you reach maximum vaccum and tighten it back down.