Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

time for a new clutch - experienced peeps needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 time for a new clutch - experienced peeps needed

Heya all, I have a 94 del slo vtec. I also have a 93 del slo S (sohc shitty version.) The clutch on my 94 vtec is going out and I know this because I got the exact same symptoms on the 93 sohc and I replaced the clutch myself with an OEM one. Time to replace my vtec clutch but i want an aftermarket one.

in the next few months after some paychecks I'm going to source a b20 block and build me a crvtec. I know that the 2.0L is goin to produce much more torque than the 1.6L -- and I want a clutch that can hold it.

what's a good clutch for a soon-to-be CRVTEC? I do autox and slam gears frequently, so I want a good clutch I can abuse a bit without giving out or breaking. I'm going to build the motor up NA and hope for around 250hp when I'm done raising compression etc etc.

thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: time for a new clutch - experienced peeps needed

Originally Posted by Corksil
Heya all, I have a 94 del slo vtec. I also have a 93 del slo S (sohc shitty version.) The clutch on my 94 vtec is going out and I know this because I got the exact same symptoms on the 93 sohc and I replaced the clutch myself with an OEM one. Time to replace my vtec clutch but i want an aftermarket one.

in the next few months after some paychecks I'm going to source a b20 block and build me a crvtec. I know that the 2.0L is goin to produce much more torque than the 1.6L -- and I want a clutch that can hold it.

what's a good clutch for a soon-to-be CRVTEC? I do autox and slam gears frequently, so I want a good clutch I can abuse a bit without giving out or breaking. I'm going to build the motor up NA and hope for around 250hp when I'm done raising compression etc etc.

thanks
I would recommend an Action clutch for you.

I'll pm you some info on the clutch
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

most reputable aftermarket clutch manufactures list their percentage torque holding strength over stock. get a reasonable estimate of your future peak torque. find the percentage of increase over the stock torque spec and use that number to select the appropriate setup.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
most reputable aftermarket clutch manufactures list their percentage torque holding strength over stock. get a reasonable estimate of your future peak torque. find the percentage of increase over the stock torque spec and use that number to select the appropriate setup.
this is what I plan on doing, and am trying to do. However I have no crvtec specs and no crvtec to dyno so I dunno how much torque I'm expecting. With a 250hp NA motor I'm expecting no more than 300ft/lbs of torque - but this is just a shot in the dark. I actually have no idea so I'm looking for experienced peeps who have/know of crvtec torque specs (mildly built.)

but flaming will ensue if I ask "how much torque will a mildly built crvtec put down?" it's a crapshoot, you can hardly guess accurately.

@justin - thanks, I have yet to receive your PM.

@all - HELPS MEEEZ!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/%2Astock-crvtec-dyno-results%2A-1139961/
the OP removed the chart from the post but you can see from the following posts that he got about 170 tq. you should be safe getting a clutch to handle around 200 tq.

you're right about 300 being a shot in the dark. i would hate to hear of your disappointment when the dyno shows little more than half the number you were hoping for.

hope it works out for you.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks to me like an ACT SP-MM clutch will hold 186ft/lbs of torque for about 360 bucks.

this might be the winner, but I don't want clutch-slip under any circumstances.

a few years down the road I hope to have this motor fully built, headers, intake, exhaust, rods, pistons, cams, valves/springs, and maybe even a supercharger. In total i don't think it would exceed 250 hp. but I don't have a crvtec so I can't talk honestly about how much torque I expect to produce.

which clutch? bumpweasel has occured...
Old 10-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Clutch Master stage 4 clutch in my EP and Im making over 400whp and it feels good almost like stock.