Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tierods (ins and outs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tierods (ins and outs)

oh my poor little acura el been sitting in my parking space on jackstands for the last 6 weeks.

I got my end out of the steering knuckle, but I can't loosen the jam-nut and I have had no luck taking off the inner and outer together. I have tried using locking pliers and a clamp to hold the inner and try to loosen the jamnut but its too tight. I removed the boot on the inner and I see no way of getting a tool in there to loosen that from the rack. I'm just really really stuck. I don't want to admit defeat but I'm running out of ideas. Goddamn my ego has been shattered on this one. I'm just a noob mechanic but its still embarassing. Someone please walk me through this.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Re: tierods (ins and outs)

If you cannot undo the bolt with your current tools you aren't likely going to be able to do it at all. In my experience these particular jam nuts and bolts are next to impossible to remove unless you have pneumatic tools and a lift. These bolts are torqued down very hard and are in a very difficult location to get at so, your best bet may be to take your car to a local garage and have them unbolt the tie rods.

You will have to take it to a garage to get it aligned after your removal and replacement so, maybe you can work a deal out with the garage. Maybe they will help with the removal if they are guaranteed of an alignment.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how it's done in general for the outer tie rod: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-tie-rod-end-replacement-2333340/

Never mind. You seem to know how it's done, you just can't do it. Well, when I did mine on the EG it was pretty easy to do so I haven't had problems with those; at the same time I can't remember how I did it since it was a long time ago. IIRC, I used those big adjustable open ended wrenches on both nuts and moved them in different directions.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a Pitman tool (see photo) to pop out the lower ball joint. This is available as a free rental at some auto parts stores.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM

The Pitman tool does help out quite a bit but you have to be careful when you use it. If you aren't you can easily destroy your ball joint and dust caps. You can also damage your entire steering rack along the way. So, if you aren't sure how to use the tool just go to a shop and have them 'help' you get the bolts undone...and then take it home to finish it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shailoche
The Pitman tool does help out quite a bit but you have to be careful when you use it. If you aren't you can easily destroy your ball joint and dust caps. You can also damage your entire steering rack along the way. So, if you aren't sure how to use the tool just go to a shop and have them 'help' you get the bolts undone...and then take it home to finish it.
I agree that you must avoid rupturing the ball joint boot by carefully sliding the top of the Pitman tool below the boot. You also have to thread an extra hex nut on the end of the ball joint bolt to avoid damaging it. Otherwise, the tool will work fine to remove the ball joint.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

I got it out of the steering knuckle with only a hammer. Gave 'er lots of hard blows on the side then it *popped*
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99849 for the ball joints.