Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tie Rod Replacement - What needed? How To?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod Replacement - What needed? How To?

Hey all,

I need to replace my driver side outer tie rod. I'm unsure of what tools I need to be able to do this (I've searched and read certain tools make the installation fairly easy, but it wasn't for this generation vehicle). I have a '99 Civic EX.

Also, does anyone have any installation instructions w/ pictures?

Thanks alot in advance for the help. I did search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

lol kinda funny that i just did mine yesterday. But anyways, just jack the car up and take the wheel off so that you can see what your doing. You want to take the coder (cant really spell that) pin out and take off the bolt that holds the tie rod onto the hub assembly. Then what you want to do is get TWO adjustable wrenches (aka MONKEY WRENCH) and unscrew the tie rod from the streering rack. You use one wrench to hold the bolt while you use the other wrench to unscrew the tie rod. Now after you have screwed on the new tie rod, put everything back together and drive to get an alignement immediately. Or not it just depends on whether or not you want your ties to wear down really fast, or you just like for your car to be way out off alignement.

OO yea and you might want to use a tie rod puller to help get the tie rod off the steering rack. You can get this at any auto parts store for like 15 bucks.(it looks like a fork)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Tie Rod Replacement - What needed? How To? (KHowe)

I've got an easier way. I think its just a 19mm wrench for the tie rod bolt. since you're replacing it, there's really no reason to hold the tie rod in place to not damage it. Take off the cotter pin and the 17mm castle nut holding the tie rod to the spindle. Hit the spindle where the tie rod connects with a hammer a few times, and the tie rod will vibrate out. No need for a puller. You should count how many turns it took to get the old one out so you can put the old one back in with that many turns. This way, your alignment stays relatively the same. Then get an alignment soon.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you take it for an alignment make sure to tell them to only adjust the one you intalled. The dumbasses that did mine adjusted the old one and now my steering wheel isnt straight.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Shaun_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaun_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you take it for an alignment make sure to tell them to only adjust the one you intalled. The dumbasses that did mine adjusted the old one and now my steering wheel isnt straight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That has nothing to do with your steering wheel being straight. They should have set the wheel straight when they started. If they did not set the steering wheel straight when they started, then the 4 wheels that touch the ground are most likely straight (if the car goes straight and there's not uneven tire wear), but your steering wheel is off.

They were unqualified.