Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tie rod replacement, help?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tie rod replacement, help?

im currently purchasing some new inner and outer tie rods from advanced auto (moog tie rods not the **** ones) i was just wondering, ive never done this job so what other parts do i need to buy to do this or special tools. also a DYI with pics if anyone knows of one for a 92-95 civic would help alot too. thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tie rod replacement, help?

bump.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

super easy, you should use a ball joint seperator, you can get one at napa or autozone cheap, or rent one. pull out the cotter pin, then the castle nut, and pop the ball joint out. use a box wrench to hold the locking nut while you unscrew the outer tie rod. for the inner tie rods you can also rent a inner tie rod tool, or some guys just use a wrench or channel locks...if you use a regular wrench or channel locks, make sure you are gripping on the part that actually screws into the car, and not the tie rod itself, cuz it will spin while not unscrewing. if you use an inner tie rod tool, it will be super easy. install in reverse order... make sure to put lock tite on the inner tie rod part that screws into the car, to avoid it vibrating out, use a new cotter pin, and get an alignment!!!

Last edited by ozh_hawaiian; 12-23-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you mentioned ball joints, should i go ahead and buy some new ball joints too? upper or lower ones if i do?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ball joints are part of the tie rods, if you bought those then you already have them.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is the OEM manufacturer for tie rods?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
im buying moog tie rods from advanced, apparentlly they are the second option if you cant get honda oem parts.

and i know ball joints come on the inner tie rods. im talking about the other ball joints.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't know for sure, but most likely Sankie/555 or Musashi
Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Don't know for sure, but most likely Sankie/555 or Musashi
so is moog good tie rods? they are a bit expensive is their a cheaper route but not compromising quality? i know to stay away from felco and duralast BS.

Last edited by dfJDM; 12-23-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is https://www.hondapartsdeals.com a good site for parts?
my tie rods are only 150 for both sides inner and outer.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dfJDM
so is moog good tie rods? they are a bit expensive is their a cheaper route but not compromising quality? i no to stay away from felco and duralast BS.
Sometimes. I'm pretty sure some of their stuff is reboxed stuff from other manufacturers half the time. I just installed a Sankie/555 tie rod end on a 4runner about 2 weeks ago, and i'm about 99% sure it came in a Moog box (wasn't my 4runner and I didn't buy the tie rod end so I didn't pay much attention, I just remember seeing the 555 stamp and thinking "oh good, Sankie")
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so is moog good tie rods? they are a bit expensive is their a cheaper route but not compromising quality? i no to stay away from felco and duralast BS.
moog is a great product. i'm actually getting my suspension done with all
of the moog suspension products. i got my lower ball joints done and i have yet to purchase upper ball joints (maybe the whole upper ball joints plus control arm) and outer tie rods.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mish__
moog is a great product. i'm actually getting my suspension done with all
of the moog suspension products. i got my lower ball joints done and i have yet to purchase upper ball joints (maybe the whole upper ball joints plus control arm) and outer tie rods.
well i know for sure my inner rods are worn along with the outer. so im trying to replace those asap.. the upper and lower ball joints you mentioned replacing on your car, are those the ones connected to the tie rods? or are those another type of ball joint? i asked early and didnt get an answer. my check is small, i only get 300 a week, but ive paid all my bills, so im blowing this whole check on doing these rods and anything else i may need to get my front end from shaking like it is. so any info would help.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i know for sure my inner rods are worn along with the outer. so im trying to replace those asap.. the upper and lower ball joints you mentioned replacing on your car, are those the ones connected to the tie rods? or are those another type of ball joint? i asked early and didnt get an answer. my check is small, i only get 300 a week, but ive paid all my bills, so im blowing this whole check on doing these rods and anything else i may need to get my front end from shaking like it is. so any info would help.
hm... i have to check out my inner tie rods, it's pretty old and rusted, but i'm worrying about my outer tie rods more... they're shot. upper ball joint is pressed onto the upper control arm, the thing that holds the steering knuckle on top with a castle nut. lower ball joint is pressed into the steering knuckle and the end goes into the lower control arm where there's a castle nut that keeps it in place. you do not need to change those if their boots aren't torn and they don't move around and swivel loosely. my boots were torn and they all swiveled freely and were just bad. my front end suspension is just terrible and shaking too, so i'm replacing everything... cv axles included.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: tie rod replacement, help?

Im in steering and suspension class and you can check the inner tie rod condition when you are replacing the outer tie rod ends. When the outer tie rod ends are off the nuckle simple lift the arms pivoting the inner tie rod ends and if they stay in the air and don't fall back down they are holding and are good. If the whole arm falls then they are beyond service limits and need Removing and replacment.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hm... i have to check out my inner tie rods, it's pretty old and rusted, but i'm worrying about my outer tie rods more... they're shot. upper ball joint is pressed onto the upper control arm, the thing that holds the steering knuckle on top with a castle nut. lower ball joint is pressed into the steering knuckle and the end goes into the lower control arm where there's a castle nut that keeps it in place. you do not need to change those if their boots aren't torn and they don't move around and swivel loosely. my boots were torn and they all swiveled freely and were just bad. my front end suspension is just terrible and shaking too, so i'm replacing everything... cv axles included.
yeah man i feel you on that, im in the same boat.. i was gonna replace my axles but i found out that they are good, its just that my driver side half shaft is unseated and i need to slide it back in place. and my front tires are BALD bad, both my rods are most deffinitly shot.. thats all there is to it.. i dont think my ball joints are bad though i just checked them.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man i feel you on that, im in the same boat.. i was gonna replace my axles but i found out that they are good, its just that my driver side half shaft is unseated and i need to slide it back in place. and my front tires are BALD bad, both my rods are most deffinitly shot.. thats all there is to it.. i dont think my ball joints are bad though i just checked them.
lol, i'm a girl, btw. and same exact thing with my car, my d/s axle needs to be seated properly, i need a new cap for it & axle because i'm pretty sure that axle is no good anymore.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by werteg
Im in steering and suspension class and you can check the inner tie rod condition when you are replacing the outer tie rod ends. When the outer tie rod ends are off the nuckle simple lift the arms pivoting the inner tie rod ends and if they stay in the air and don't fall back down they are holding and are good. If the whole arm falls then they are beyond service limits and need Removing and replacment.
thanks for the info. i took steering and suspension too, but they didn't teach me all that... hopefully advanced steering and suspension does.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so tie rods and ball jopints are def not the same thing. same concept but different component. if ur gonna separate the ball joints from the knuckle u dont have to replace them but if you've taken them apart a few times ifs not going to hurt. but remember OEM honda ball joints are pressed into the UCA so ull have to take them to a machine shop to put your car back together.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the type of clamp that holds the long boot covering the inner tie rod called if I were go to an autoparts store and ask?

Not trying to thread jack...just seems like anyone replacing inners might want to know this as well unless everyone isn't as ignorant to this fact as me.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, i'm a girl, btw. and same exact thing with my car, my d/s axle needs to be seated properly, i need a new cap for it & axle because i'm pretty sure that axle is no good anymore.
lol didnt mean anything by the "man" thing just how i talk, i call my gf dude all day and she hates it. but yeh, are you B series? cause i legit had someone tell me that b seires axles never seat properly, which is bullshit.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the type of clamp that holds the long boot covering the inner tie rod called if I were go to an autoparts store and ask?

Not trying to thread jack...just seems like anyone replacing inners might want to know this as well unless everyone isn't as ignorant to this fact as me.
i believe its just called a rack end boot. their like 10 bucks, and the come with the clamps. you can use regular hose clamps, thats why is on mine
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe its just called a rack end boot. their like 10 bucks, and the come with the clamps. you can use regular hose clamps, thats why is on mine
Oh thanks much. Not everyone at the parts store knows anything about cars and if you go in on an unlucky day around here you're stuck with a 20 year old female *no offense ladies* that drives a chevy cav and MIGHT have changed her own oil once. Then you end up having to try to say things like that accordion looking rubber situation on my tie rod, and you get a reply like "What do you mean...you can't tie a rod it's metal?"
Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're gonna do the boots, get them from honda, Mine lasted 18 years and eventually died because the clamp ends rotted off. I wound up doing Inner and outer tie rods as well as one of the ball joints because it wouldnt seperate cleanly. I also did drive shafts because again the boots were wearing out. Just an FYI
Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh thanks much. Not everyone at the parts store knows anything about cars and if you go in on an unlucky day around here you're stuck with a 20 year old female *no offense ladies* that drives a chevy cav and MIGHT have changed her own oil once. Then you end up having to try to say things like that accordion looking rubber situation on my tie rod, and you get a reply like "What do you mean...you can't tie a rod it's metal?"
haha i feel yah same **** in my parts stores but their old black ladies lol.

yeah check advanced their usually 15 bucks for a new boot and clamps. if u just need clamps just get some like 1.5inch hose clamps. i believe those would fit the boot end easily. my d/s boot is ripped some im putting new ones on both sides as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tie rod replacement, help?