Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ticking under torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ticking under torque

Hello im new to the site and I thought I'd start by asking a question right a way!
Ive got a 96 ek hatch with a B16a swap in it. new act 2600 fidanza flywheel and a 4-2-1 header.. a complete tune up has been completed on it and ive driven it for about a week and a half and just recently it has begun to tick under torque... it seems a little more sluggish then usual and it only happens when im in gear. i can rev it freely being in neutral and hear nothing but as soon as i take off from a stop it begins and continues through out the rest of the gears... it really sounds like air being pushed out very quickly more than a tick really... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be.

thanks in advance!

Keren
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ticking under torque

well first off welcome Keren, as for your question does the ticking speed up when you speed up or does it stay constant? does it start at any particular rpm or stop at any rpm. When you say complete check up do you know what all was done?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems to stay constant through out the rpm range. and it starts at around 2000 rpms but only when starting from a stop and the clutch is released... as far as the tune up... spark plugs and wires. new cam and crank shaft seals. timing belt. water pump. cam shaft plug (on the distributor side). ive got an N1 crank pulley. thats all i can think of at the moment... the timing belt tensioner was not replaced...

thank you for the fast reply!

Keren
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and your not leaking anything i take it? my best guess would be that it has to do with your trans....but that wouldn't sounds like air is being released. i wish i could be more help...if i were you i would take it back to where you had the work done or if you did if yourself put the car up on jack stands, put it in gear and see if you can locate exactly where the noise is coming from.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no not leaking anything... it leaked a little coolant from the rear of the motor somewhere but thats all i can think of... what about an exhaust leak? correct me if im wrong but i know my exhaust sounds during driving because of the back pressure that is being produced by the motor.. and not so much back pressure when it is just free revved in neutral... i recently just had a flex pipe put in to connect my header to my exhaust... does that make any sense?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does sound like an exhaust leak. the ticking sound from the exhaust is normal a one cylinder leak where one "chamber" of the exhaust coming from one runner tube is leaking. try tightening teh exhaust manifold or header bolts that connect to the head. i would describe this sound as a deeper ticking noise.

a lighter ticking noise like a pinging sound might be timing is to far advanced or retarded while under load. was timing messed with at all? turning of the distrubutor?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no sir the timing or dizzy hasnt been messed with at all... its not a pinging sound (thank god)... it sounds like a faint go cart motor... but i really think it has to be an exhaust leak because if it was something a little more serious 8300 rpms would feel and sound like **** lol... im going to tighten everything up and see if i can find any cracks in the system.. ill keep you all posted. thanks for all the replys
Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same exact problem right now...anybody else having this issue? also OP you figured it out yet?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you looked at your axles?

when the boots are ripped and the grease is leaving, they tick under acceleration
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
have you looked at your axles?

when the boots are ripped and the grease is leaving, they tick under acceleration
nice thinking outside of the box!!

i would call that more of a "click" sound for outer cv axles being bad. but possibly /shrug

you sure all your exhaust manifold bolts are there and torqued down while cold?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
nice thinking outside of the box!!

i would call that more of a "click" sound for outer cv axles being bad. but possibly /shrug

you sure all your exhaust manifold bolts are there and torqued down while cold?
na, its not the same click like when your turning.

its just a faint tisk tisk tisk tisk tisk.....
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought it was the axle but when i put it in nuetral it dont do it... only under load.. wierrd...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BuBBaSBuBBLe
i thought it was the axle but when i put it in nuetral it dont do it... only under load.. wierrd...
you the orignal OP? your name changed if it did. lol

with you saying this..it is starting to sound like an axle. normally they click/tick while turning if the outer. normally they clunk on accel/decel for the inner. drive past a building with your windows down and find out which side is making the noise. then check that axle.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry it took me soo long to reply... my ticking is from an exhaust leak off the header.. the welded flange came undone... nothing a new header wont fix! or some jbweld... good luck figuring yours out!