Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticket

just got a ticket for an illegal muffler and i was wondering if anyone could help me out

I hav an APEX WS on my 99 ex and i beleive that the exhaust is legal It is probably the quietest exhaust that i know of. THis state trooper pulled me over for this and i dont think that it is illegal. I live in NYS and the violation is SEC. 375 SUB. 31

If anyone could inform me of wut this law actually states or if my exhaust is really legal i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ticket (silverSOHC)

Why don't you look it up? You seem to have Internet access...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: ticket (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why don't you look it up? You seem to have Internet access...</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, yeah look it up. Infact, you can start by contacting the company to see if it was carbed. It depends on the ticket too. Is he citing you for noise polution or for a modified exhaust?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: ticket (mp7235)

I got one of those the other week dc sports header to test pipe to skunk 2 mega power exhaust loud as **** when you get on it but I rarely do that. I shifted at about 2-3k to keep it quiet and he still pulled me over, gay if you ask me! Damn cops and specially the local ones who harass my friends and I.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:12 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: ticket (92CivicSiR2)

Search.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: ticket (mp7235)

CARB is a cali thing. It means nothing to someone living in New York.

That said, some states have laws concerning modified exhaust. New York seems like one of them, sucks to you.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:24 PM

they do it by sound, ( how loud it is) you can have it check to see if the db.s are too high, call the state troopers off. they should have a station to check all that ****.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: ticket (civtegra_hybrid)

That's funny if he pulled you over for your exhaust being loud. Like you said I've never known the Apex WS to be loud. Probably Texas will start having these dumb *** laws soon.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ticket (rentacop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CARB is a cali thing. It means nothing to someone living in New York. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true, but when its CARB its 50 state legal and he would benifit from it wouldn't he?

if its only a CALI thing the it wouldnt be CARB LEGAL!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ticket (DOHCtorTHRUST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCtorTHRUST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true, but when its CARB its 50 state legal and he would benifit from it wouldn't he?

if its only a CALI thing the it wouldnt be CARB LEGAL!</TD></TR></TABLE>

CARB = California Air Resource Board

cat-back exhausts are not CARB certified as they have NO impact on emissions. there is no such thing as a 50-state legal exhaust. notice how greddy stopped advertising them as 50-state legal? most exhaust laws are at the state level, there can't be a federal 50-state standard
Old 08-15-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: ticket (dantastic)

i have a 5zeigen fireball cat-back its the quietst exhaust made for 96-00 civics, i got a ticket for mine,,, NYS laws are shitty, basically if you modify your exhaust (and your younger than 25) its against the law.....technically i could be given a ticket for my wheels cause they could "damage the road" as the cop told me and showed me in his little ******** book
Old 08-15-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: ticket (crxjester)

hey guys thanx for the help this trooper basically just wated to pull me over for something in order to see if he could get ne thing else like a DWI. He was a real *******. I did do research before i asked the question but i couldnt find anything that is why i asked the question, to see if someone possibly had this happen to them. It was rediculous though because my exhaust is clearly under the 95 db's, and i was shifting at about 2.5 so u shouldnt even be able to hear a difference between stock. Ne way i did some more research today and couldnt find anything so if ne one else can still help out i would really appreciate it

SRY FOR THE LONG POST
Old 08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet that the citation was given to you for a modified exhaust. Since it's not stock, the elected officials of your state have deemed a new exhaust as a violation of the law, and not something that's best for the community. ******' weak, I say. We have the same law here, and although I haven't gotten a ticket for it *knocks on wood* I could get pulled over at any time if the cop saw it on my car and either felt like being an ******* or had any suspicion as to what I was doing or had in my car. Just another means of control
BTW, the loud exhaust ticket thing is bullshit. I don't care that the exhaust is stock- Harley's are ******' loud. Explain that **** to me
Old 08-15-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re: ticket (hatchling37)

if you got a fix-it ticket try to find if the manufacture makes a silencer for that model, buy it and have it shiped next day mail. easily bolts on and cheap. then take it to a cop (that is cool) and explain what happend
and that you have fixed it. then he should write it off! that is atleast what happend to me and im in cali... hope i could help
Old 08-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: ticket (maskone909)

hey ur right harley's make much more noise but they dont get pulled over and why:?

Cause they are mostly old people driving them.........

we all get picked on because we love our cars and the lifestyle of doing all of this, we get a bad reputation because the cops think if you drive a nice car you must have alot of money....and if your young and have alot of money you must be into or sell drugs.....well if you do drugs you probably drink too so we can pull you over on pure PROFILING and search your car, ask you to take a feild sobrity test,,,,based on nothing

you know what i dont get ....its all over the fu*king news about profiling because of color, sex, blah blah blah,,,,,

how come nobody addresses the fact that young adults are getting pulled over all the time and its still PROFILING......just because we are younger they think we are stupid or something...and cause alot of younger people speed, do drugs, drink and drive, etc, that must mean that all of us do right.....

as kids we were taught no to make generalizations about people, or groups of people.....but thats what our socity is all about apparently and it just plain sux
Old 08-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

flat black es oval with si tip
Old 08-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxjester &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey ur right harley's make much more noise but they dont get pulled over and why:?

Cause they are mostly old people driving them.........

we all get picked on because we love our cars and the lifestyle of doing all of this, we get a bad reputation because the cops think if you drive a nice car you must have alot of money....and if your young and have alot of money you must be into or sell drugs.....well if you do drugs you probably drink too so we can pull you over on pure PROFILING and search your car, ask you to take a feild sobrity test,,,,based on nothing

you know what i dont get ....its all over the fu*king news about profiling because of color, sex, blah blah blah,,,,,

how come nobody addresses the fact that young adults are getting pulled over all the time and its still PROFILING......just because we are younger they think we are stupid or something...and cause alot of younger people speed, do drugs, drink and drive, etc, that must mean that all of us do right.....

as kids we were taught no to make generalizations about people, or groups of people.....but thats what our socity is all about apparently and it just plain sux</TD></TR></TABLE>

harleys dont get ticketed because motorcycles go by different laws and standards. i have seen many bikes sports and cuisers pulled over....for being stupid.

i have a VERY loud exhaust on my car, and i live in cali, i have never been pulled over (knock on wood) for the sound of my exhaust, i also have no front plate, but i dont drive like a dipsh!t, probably the reasoning of no tickets...

bottom line.
dont be stupid
Old 08-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw..heres your law

31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle
plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust
gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.
An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of
receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling
it into the atmosphere.
31-a. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle
exhaust device without internal baffles, known as "straight pipes".
31-b. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle
exhaust device that is intentionally designed to allow for the internal
baffling to be fully or partially removed or interchangeable. This
subdivision shall not apply to a motorcycle manufactured or assembled
prior to nineteen hundred seventy-nine or a motorcycle registered as a
limited use vehicle or an all terrain vehicle pursuant to article
forty-eight-A or forty-eight-B of this chapter.

http://www.nysorva.org/documen...9.htm
Old 08-15-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: ticket (2thousandcivic)

just because you havent been pulled over YET dosent mean that i drive stupid ive gotten bullshit tickets for my exhaust when i wa rolling passed a cop (DOING THE SPEED LIMIT) in neutral and my exhaust was not making any noise, some cops (NYS troopers and sherrifs see a shiny exhaust or a lowered car and see an instan target. just because you feel that having no tickets means you are a safe driver dosent mean your right, you just classify people like that and just because you did that make you ignorant......
Old 08-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxjester &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just because you havent been pulled over YET dosent mean that i drive stupid ive gotten bullshit tickets for my exhaust when i wa rolling passed a cop (DOING THE SPEED LIMIT) in neutral and my exhaust was not making any noise, some cops (NYS troopers and sherrifs see a shiny exhaust or a lowered car and see an instan target. just because you feel that having no tickets means you are a safe driver dosent mean your right, you just classify people like that and just because you did that make you ignorant...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

HA...not exactly classifying people, just stating my opinion and experiences, i guess its just my luck..
Old 08-15-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: ticket (2thousandcivic)

Hey guys thanx for all teh help

2thousandcivic i apreciate you posting that for me to clarify wut exactly they meant by an ilegal exhaust.

THis topic seems to be one that a lot of people can relate to and i also believe that there is profiling going on here. My brother just the other day was 2 cars behind a trooper (my brother drives a nicely modified 5th gen accord) as they approached a stoplight the trooper made the right and then the light turned red. THe car that was behind the trooper made a right hand turn on red and there is a sign right there saying no turn on red. THe trooper pulled into the next parking lot and waited for my brother to pass him and he gave my brother a ticket for having no front license plate. Meanwhile he let the other person go right through the red light. Now if that isnt profiling idk wut is. My brother is 21 by the way