Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thumping noise from drivers side tire. Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping noise from drivers side tire. Caliper?

Ok, I went to autozone to get some wheel cleaner and wheel shine and i went to the car wash and cleaned up my rims and after that about 10 minutes later after driving i hear a quiet thump thump thump constant until i give it some gas but if i take out the clutch that is when i hear it. and if i cruise to 40mph and put the clutch in and it will be a bit louder and more rapid. if i turn the wheel slightly to the left the noise gets waaay louder. after that i took it home. and then i started to feel in the brake pedal like a vibration and weird crap in the pedal then the pedal feel to the floor and only stops when all the way down. kinda like air got into the system.

I looked at the drivers side caliper and it felt loose. the pad was loose i could move it with my fingers easily. the passenger side pads were in tight.

I have checked the bolt holding the caliper and seemed to be tight and the other pad in the back is still their. the brakes themselfs still work great and smoothly just pedal feels spongy and kinda feels like i have anti lock brake when slightly pressing them.

The car is a 92 civic lx 4 door. i have checked the brake disk thinking it cracked but was good.

Thanks 4 help!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Thumping noise from drivers side tire. Caliper?

tourqe your wheels down...
mine did the same thing
as to why your calaper feels loose i have no idea.... if tourqing them doesnt fix it then ive got no idea.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just last night i had new tires put on my rotas and had them put them on and balance them. so they torqued them good.

And 98civdx I know what your talking about i have done the same thing. but yea this is pretty much the same noise only i feel it in the brake pedal.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your brakes may have issues but I doubt they are causing your problem. The wheels could have been balanced without being cleaned. Cleaning them may have unbalanced one or more wheels. Turning left places more pressure on the right wheels so check those first.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Just last night i had new tires put on my rotas and had them put them on and balance them. so they torqued them good.

And 98civdx I know what your talking about i have done the same thing. but yea this is pretty much the same noise only i feel it in the brake pedal.
so your trusting the shop that put them on...
Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I was their when they did it all and im sure the torque guns are strong. but ill double check the torque. and the noise is being cause by my brakes. if i press my brakes like a long slow stop it will make the noise loud is hell but if i press them hard then the noise goes away and if i dont click the brakes at all its a constant quiet thumping.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any clues?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Daaaam, Nobody? this dam car screwed my night up and i at least wanna do something this weekend and need this fixed.

Should i just drive it until something breaks or the brakes go out and i wreck into another car and after that ill know what the problem was? jk
Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dam, those *** Fckers up at the tire shop stripped ever one of my studs except one. I put a tire iron on it and they were all loose but wouldn't tighten up and i took them off and the stud was stripped. pretty much only one lug nut was on good.

I went and bought 3 wheel studs do i just hammer them out and hammer the new ones in with the tire off?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Could be a lower control arm bushing. check that bro. When you brake do you feel a slight shift (forward). So it was ur studs not being tight.?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
dam, those *** Fckers up at the tire shop stripped ever one of my studs except one. I put a tire iron on it and they were all loose but wouldn't tighten up and i took them off and the stud was stripped. pretty much only one lug nut was on good.

I went and bought 3 wheel studs do i just hammer them out and hammer the new ones in with the tire off?

front or rear?
on the front you will either have to remove the hub or grind part of the stud flat for it to slip past and fit it.

but yea youll need a hammer to get them out.
you should not have bought them take it back to the shop now. and complain they broke one of mine my dad went in a bitched i got it fixed for free the next day
Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, i cant drive the car. so its stuck here. yea it was the studs. they were only a dollar a piece and needed to be changed anyways. i hammer two of them and they went in but where do i pull them out at?

do i need to take off the brake disk?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM

For safety sake I would take the disc off whilst hammering on the studs. It is sort of a no-brainer as it gives you more clearance and it is only two phillps headed screws holding it on anyway.

You don't want to wack your disc when you are hammering on the wheel studs as you may crack the disc or warp it....and then you have to get a new disc too.

Plus it is possible that you could accidentally damage the caliper too. If you were to hit the disc and it twisted it could bend the caliper bolts...it isn't likely but hell why take any risk?

Last edited by shailoche; 05-23-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added reasoning
Old 05-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished it. i only took off the disk and caliper bracket and hammered em out and hammered new ones in.

BUT, I'm pretty sure i fixed it but not for sure cause i can't test drive it seeing how one of these little kids in my apartments jacked ONE brake pad and the bolt holding the caliper to the bracket. lol kinda funny.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this what i need for the caliper bolt?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...058&questions=[com.autozone.diy.valueobject.NavigationItem%405d30 8c%2C+com.autozone.diy.valueobject.NavigationItem% 401e388a%2C+com.autozone.diy.valueobject.Navigatio nItem%401206c1%2C+com.autozone.diy.valueobject.Nav igationItem%401797f81]
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also came up missing a brake pad hard ware metal piece do i need it? i have 3 not 4
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i would definitely never ever let anyone even near that shop work on your car again... thats jacked up man. sorry to hear about that, and the crappy part is that you cant make them fix it because its hard to prove they did it unless you catch it before you leave the shop... bump for you to get your s*it fixed man
Old 05-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea,^ Thanks man. it is BS. for now on ill just bring them the rims and have them put the tires on only and ill put the rims on myself.

When i fix it im gonna go up their and complain.