Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throwout Bearing or Input Shaft Bearing or something else..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwout Bearing or Input Shaft Bearing or something else..?

The car is a 1997 Honda Civic LX. When I bought the car I was told the throwout bearing was bad and would eventually need replacing. That was fine with me because I got it for a decent price. Well it has been a couple months since I bought the car and I need some help to best identify what the problem is.

PROBLEM: Annoying whining noise when the clutch is engaged. It completely goes quite when the clutch is not engaged.

FROM WHAT I HAVE GATHERED ON HT:

Input Shaft Bearing - Makes noise when the clutch is engaged. Requires transmission rebuild or new transmission.
Throwout Bearing - Makes noise when clutch is not engaged. Just requires new throwout bearing.

That is just the basic idea of what I have gotten off of here. The only problem with the transmission is the whining sound. The clutch still grabs good and it does not grind into any gear.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throwout Bearing or Input Shaft Bearing or something else..?

if your leaking tranny fluid then its most likely the mainshaft bearing
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if by engaged you mean you foot is off the clutch then yes you are right it is your ISB

if its making noise when you press the clutch to the floor it is the TOB

basically from what i gather and have experienced, that bearing is what the input shaft spins on... depending how damaged it is it can lead to a few things. its either going to be annoying or in worse case (happend to me) the bearing can be so bad that the input shaft has alot of free play. side to side wiggle, and my main seal or what ever ripped and basically soaked my clutch in oil. which obviously sucked and made my clutch slip like crazy.

if i was in this situation again, i would turn the radio up louder and wait till something bad happens. unless you are swapped and you want to maintain it, i would just let it do its thing. its an expensive fix unless you changed the ISB by your self. then its just time consuming.

save your money for a swap. worth it in the long run if you plan on doing something with this car.

Last edited by dividedas1; 01-06-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by sanegb16
if your leaking tranny fluid then its most likely the mainshaft bearing
are you high?

i am and i just had to read the op's post over again because of that left field answer. the OP doesn't mention anything about his trans being leaky. and even if so, how does that directly point at a mainshaft bearing? there's a couple of seals on a trans that you would see leaking before that. like i said my ISB busted my **** up and sprayed my clutch in oil and i saw no leaks. truthfully i thought my clutch was toast because i cheaped out and bought an ebay one, atleast till i took it apart.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you guys have it the correct way.

There are some pretty bad repercussions of not changing these bearings though. If the ISB goes bad it allows the input shaft to have play, which can destroy everything that rides on it (crank, pilot shaft bearing, rear main seal, clutch disc, flywheel, TOB, etc.). The TOB going bad can destroy things too (input shaft, clutch plate, shift fork, etc). It's best to get them changed before they sieze or explode and cause serious damage.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
There are some pretty bad repercussions of not changing these bearings though. If the ISB goes bad it allows the input shaft to have play, which can destroy everything that rides on it (crank, pilot shaft bearing, rear main seal, clutch disc, flywheel, TOB, etc.). The TOB going bad can destroy things too (input shaft, clutch plate, shift fork, etc). It's best to get them changed before they sieze or explode and cause serious damage.
oh i know it can cause serious problems. happend to me, how ever cost wise to have a shop or even used* trans could end up costing more.

Eric's Motors of Japan (local chicago shop) trans : 350 + Tax
Shop Labor : 300 ish

and you don't even really know if you are going to end up with a good trans. it would obviously be way less if you took the time and just changed out the bearing the trans you have. i just remember after i did mine i was kicking my self in the *** because that is money i could of put towards a different set up.

guess it depends how much you know about working on cars, and if you have the time or not to do it. a good deal on a trans is always nice too

*not off H-T occasionally you can find some good deals.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KHaoTiK

Input Shaft Bearing - Makes noise when the clutch is engaged. Requires transmission rebuild or new transmission.
LOL! no dude, first, does it do this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FR6aXKu4EI

Second no tranny rebuild required, honda sells ISB's for your car for under $30. A tranny TEARDOWN is required but thats it. D Series tranny are simple to tear down. One hint of advice, and this will make more sense when you open it up, the Final Drive has to come out before you can remove the Main/Counter shafts, not like a B series. and I found it a LOT easier if, on the gear selector, you unbolt it from the shiny rod and lift the Counter shaft a little, giving the FD just enough room to come out. Its not entirely like the B series tranny's but heres a few videos to give you the courage to do your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXG4Y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTFN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Wlw...eature=related

Good Luck man.
Save yourself 350+ Dollars and DIY, you'll be so much happier. While your at it, LSD that bitch. Lol.

Last edited by Romo Pyro; 01-06-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Meh.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really didn't think I would get this many. lol.

Also my car is not swapped or modded in any way. Just a stock 97 LX. It gets me from A to B.

Ok I had my car parked in my driveway last night and when I moved it I did notice some tranny fluid has been leaking. Not very much at all but it did drip a few times. This is the first time I have noticed it.

I really wish I did have time to tear apart the transmission myself but I don't. I work 2 jobs and go to school so that isn't going to happen. I probably could make the time and do it myself but I honestly don't want to deal with it. =/ I would much rather just pay someone to do it for now.

Now the question is do you think it would be cheaper to buy a used tranny and have someone install it or have someone tear down my current tranny and just replace the ISB?

Once again thanks for all the answers everyone.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely cheaper to do it yourself. But it will take time, especially if it is your first time working on transmissions. The Civic tranny's arent real expensive, I was lazy the first time my ISB went out and just bought a whole new transmission, $300, courtesy of craigslist. That was for my 2000 civic dx, exactly the same transmission as yours. paying a shop could vary in price, expect to see anywhere from $3-600, depending on who you go to. But if you take away any peice of information or advice from me, it would most definitely have to be this, DON'T WAIT TOO LONG, or this might happen:

That was the ISB that I litterally just removed an hour ago from my GSR.

I have to tear it all down and check everything for damage now. THIS WAS A RESULT OF MY PROCRASTINATION. Don't let this happen to you. Good Luck man. Hope you figure it out soon.

Last edited by Romo Pyro; 01-07-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and as for the tranny fluid, it could also be a sign that your ISB seal is going bad too, make sure that whatever you decide to do, shop, or DIY, to replace that. It's simple and cheap once you have the bearing out.

Here: ISB is number 4 (#: 210212), ISB Seal is number 7 (#: 18581)

This is from Hondaautomotiveparts.com, the url is funny in that it takes you straight to a google search, but its the first link on the page. Click the Honda Parts button, then search for your car. The bearing will be displayed under the "MT Clutch Housing" link. Again, Good Luck.

Last edited by Romo Pyro; 01-08-2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Photo.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Thank you sir! Yeah I am going to take it to the shop tomorrow. Like I said I could do it myself but right now my time is limited. Thank you for the information though. $3-600 really isn't that bad in my opinion. I was ready to pay more.

As for procrastinating. haha. I have been driving it like this for a while now unfortunately. I have finally decided to do something about it though. I have had the money but I honestly think the whining is getting louder? Maybe I am just paranoid. Anyways it will be fixed tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Yes, you guys have it the correct way.

ok so i got this trany for ma civic and well the the midle part dnt know wats it called lookes like da shaft it moves is it suposed to move and wen i turn it it sounds like a bearing fallen and well can it be cuz it has no fluid
is it easy fix if damaged cost wise too or better offer buyin a differnt one