Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing?

96 civic ex

When I am driving my car makes a light whining/grinding noise sometimes. If I push the clutch in it goes away, and it doesn't make the sound if in neutral. Sometimes it won't do it at all and sometimes it does it all the time. I am about to change the clutch, and I want to know what you think to see if I should go ahead and swap the input shaft bearing, or if it sounds like it is just the throw out bearing. Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing? (craigaria)

anyone?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing? (craigaria)

when you do the clutch check for free play in the input shaft... spin it around see if you hear any dry bearing noises or anything wierd and not normal.

but then again if it doesn't do it in neutral with the clutch out it doesn't really sound like the ISB.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing? (dividedas1)

when you do the clutch check for free play in the input shaft... spin it around see if you hear any dry bearing noises or anything wierd and not normal.

but then again if it doesn't do it in neutral with the clutch out it doesn't really sound like the ISB.

what he said, but it sounds like throw out bearing.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing? (dividedas1)

i can tell you i just replaced the isb and its a biotch to replace..my isb made noise all the time take the tranny out and let someone else fool with it if you havent done it before..or be brave like me and take it apart..but like one of these posts say spin it around when you take it out and see if you hear some noise..youll know when you rotate that shaft..my springs on the clutch disk where also broke making noise..
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely your throw out bearing usually people only replace the input shaft bearing for extra insurance against problems later. But my 96 ford probe i had made the same noise when the clutch was engaged and put a new clutch kit in no more problems
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM

I am a victim of a bad ISB and that sounds like the throw out bearing, if you do not know what you are doing when opening the tranny things can go wrong. I had to get a whole new tranny when i opened mine because things went wrong, but it was worth it. If you have the time and money go and open it up and spin it like the previous people said, but if you do not then leave it be because what you are describing does not sound like the isb, but the Throw out bearing, so replace it when you do your clutch and everything will be ok.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been the victim of a bad isb 3 times...every time it would make noise whenever the cluctch was not engaged.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (Got traction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got traction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've been the victim of a bad isb 3 times...every time it would make noise whenever the cluctch was not engaged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

me too stupid ISB's
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM

Cool, Hopefully it is just the throw out. I'll check the tranny while it is out...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing?

i had new clutch and cable put in last year

after couple months same noises you describe i heard and still hear.

since clutch and cable are new, could it still be the throw out bearing ?

this noise was never heard before new clutch was put it.

any thought please ?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sounds like the mechanic either didnt put in a pilot bearing or put it in wrong
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Trial User

what im confused......tell me again how do you know if it a throwout bearing or a input shaft bearing cuz all this post im been reading is getting me confusing so can somebody help me cuz i think that my 97 ek hatch have a bad throwout bearing or a input idk but here my problem it grind wen it on neutrul and dies when i press clutch and also wen im driving i can hear it grind to so lmk if it the throw out bearing or input lmk asap thnx
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the transmission makes a noise when the clutch is in, the throwout bearing is the likely culprit.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Trial User

meaning what???
Old 11-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Trial User

so is it a throwout bearing ????
Old 11-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a throw out bearing!!! I had the same sounds before my swap
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lengao
it grind wen it on neutrul and dies when i press clutch and also wen im driving i can hear it grind
A grinding noise with the clutch pedal up points to a bad input shaft or other main bearing in the transmission. Dying with the clutch pedal down may indicate a separate idle problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Trial User

my civic is doing the same thing. I went to my mechanic and told him about the noise. He told me that it was most likely the throw out bearing. I had him install and new throw out bearing and a clutch since he was near it. But after the installation, i still had that annoying noise. He then told me that it could be the input shaft bearing in the tranny. i want to make sure that it is this time and if i should just replace the bearing or a new tranny too.. help anyone??
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Danlevesque
my civic is doing the same thing. I went to my mechanic and told him about the noise. He told me that it was most likely the throw out bearing. I had him install and new throw out bearing and a clutch since he was near it. But after the installation, i still had that annoying noise. He then told me that it could be the input shaft bearing in the tranny. i want to make sure that it is this time and if i should just replace the bearing or a new tranny too.. help anyone??
when is yours making noise... when the clutch is pressed, not pressed, or always??
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Trial User

When the clutch is pressed there is no noise, when I release the clutch the noise starts again
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Danlevesque
When the clutch is pressed there is no noise, when I release the clutch the noise starts again
How would I be able to distinguish between my problem being an input shaft bearing and a throw out bearing. I put in a newly rebuilt D16Z6 motor with another (From a S to an Si) transmission and had a whine. Then it started to grind (approximately at 200 miles) and clack around like something was loose. I immediately drove home at a RPM that minimized the noise then when parking was nearly unable to engage it into gear to park it. So I am thinking inputg shaft bearing? Please also email me with your answer. I need to fix this fast, since I am down to only one car and here in NYC we have gas rationing and I need those 36 miles to a gallon right now.

DocManakos@verizon.net or DocManakos@gmail.com
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When the grinding noise is happening with the clutch disengaged that is most likely your input shaft bearing. If you are going to work on the clutch you should either check the isb as mentioned in the earlier post or put a new one (used) back on. Repairing our rebuilding the tranny is timely and expensive. If you do drive just keep the clutch engaged when stopped to minimize the wear. Other boards have users say that they drove for a long time with this issue.
Its not an option for me long term due to the fact I seen to be in the wrong gear and have no overdrive even when in ffifth gear.
I pulled one at a junk yard for less than a hundred bucks.
Hope that helps...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kford1040
When the grinding noise is happening with the clutch disengaged that is most likely your input shaft bearing. If you are going to work on the clutch you should either check the isb as mentioned in the earlier post or put a new one (used) back on. Repairing our rebuilding the tranny is timely and expensive. If you do drive just keep the clutch engaged when stopped to minimize the wear. Other boards have users say that they drove for a long time with this issue.
Its not an option for me long term due to the fact I seen to be in the wrong gear and have no overdrive even when in ffifth gear.
I pulled one at a junk yard for less than a hundred bucks.
Hope that helps...
yeah 5 speed trannys are a dime a duzzin at alot of these pull apart places
atleast around where i live 120 bucks for any tranny i dont care what it is