Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throttle Valve Cable-- A little help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 04:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Valve Cable-- A little help needed!

Hey folks, I have a question for you gearheads out there. I have a 97 civic lx, automatic no less. My question is, isn't there a seperate cable attached to the throttle body called the throttle valve cable that extends out to the transmission? And the other cable being the accelerator cable? Some hillbilly mechanic said that a 97 civic should not have a throttle valve cable that goes to the transmission in addition to the throttle cable. You see I had the tranny replaced a couple of months ago and I am trying to diagnose a problem it has where under light acceleration ONLY from 2 1/4 rpms and 2 1/2 rpms it would flare when going from second to third gear. If I acclerate hard enough which really would be normal acceleration and it shifts at 2 1/2 it is a normal shift with no flare-up in rpms. Two honda dealerships said that is normal but I know they must be retarded. I cannot see a second cable like I was asking earlier attached to the throttle body. Any advice on if there should be a cable or not, and if so is that possibly why it is causing the rpm flare-up going from second to third gear only between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2??? Thanks alot for reading my long-azz post.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Valve Cable-- A little help needed! (Rice4me)

it depends, check your trottle body connection, if there is two plates/wheels on it, one for gas pedal (which is already there, attached) and one for auto...

i know that my dads accord has two of these.... one for gas pedal and one from tranny...they both point the other way....