Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

throttle position sensor problems?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle position sensor problems?

I've got a 95 ex d16z6. It's got some bolt on mods but nothing major. My problem is this... When I first start it up, until the engine is warm, I get an erratic idle It's usually an up and down between 900 and 1100 RPM'S. Once the car warms up, the idle smoothes out, but then the car becomes very lurchy in low gears (like when I'm in a parking lot in 2nd gear trying to just cruise at like 10mph it starts jumping and bucking like it wants to either take off full bore or die). Anyway, I've had a number of my buddies tell me it's the TPS. The only thing is, no part stores in my area stock one..... Should I get one from a yard? I never like buying electronics there. does anyone have a suggestion that may help me?also I noticed that it is rivited onto my throttle body....does that mean I need to replace the whole thing? Any thoughts or ideas anyone can give me would be much appreciated....thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: throttle position sensor problems? (Revel_s)

I dont believe honda sells them seperate from the throttlebody. The rivets are actually shear bolts, use a dremel to slot the head and then use a screwdriver to back them out.

Disclaimer: I provided the info you asked for, though it does not sound like a tps problem. It's hard to diagnose something like that without having seen the car. Look inside the throttlebody, there should be 2 holes. When the car is idling erratic, try plugging 1 hole at a time with your finger and see if it smooths out. If it does, trace that air passage to your problem. I would also inspect your MAP sensor as well, make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: throttle position sensor problems? (Slurp56)

ok new update... I did the test that you suggested and came up with this...When I plug the top hole in the throttle body nothing happens... when I plug the bottom hole the car dies...I can partially plug the bottom hole and the idle returns to normal...no bouncing. I traced the port and it goes to the TPS. I also double checked all vacuum lines and found nothing. I should also note that my gas mileage has gone from 26 mpg to 17... I know my o2 sensor needs replacing but I don't think it has anything to do with the idle probs. any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated... thanks again all.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Re: throttle position sensor problems? (Slurp56)

I have the same issue with my car it's a 99.5 Civic dx same intake set up basically n I have the same issue I changed the t/p sensor n program it still have the issue I changed the MAP sensor the car runs worst n starts backfiring thru the intake so I put the old one back I found a vacuum leak fixed it and didn't solve the problem I change my fuel filter iacv and computer bc I had those parts brand new bc I work in a mechanic shop still got the same problem so I suggest to change the intake gasket (just to play it safe) n getting a new throttle body bc where the t/p sensor goes that spring in the throttle body can be broken or worn out n be the cause of why it's doing it I'ma try it when I get to my shop n hope that's the problem
​​​​​