Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

throttle plate sticking

Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle plate sticking

Alright, so my b16 throttle is sticking. (I have new a TPS and IAC btw) I havnt had a chance to rip it apart I will today after work, figured I'd ask for advise first. Yes I have searched. So it sticks, but I can manually unstick it, by closing the throttle plate manually, and I can tell the throttle plate is sticky. I plan on pulling off the piping to see if maybe some junk got in there. But other then that I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas/tips would be awesome.
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Re: throttle plate sticking (INCNTRL4)

um make sure its the plate and not the cable, usually you need throttle body cleaner, and you take the intake pipe off, ohld the throttle open, spray SOME in there, wipe it out, then shut the throttle, spray some more, and work the plate and it should free up for good. this is generally an indication that the pcv system is getting too much oil through the pipes and that actual oil instead of its vapors are getting sucked intot he intake, and that carbon is what stuck the throttle. so probably replace the pcv valve
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it isnt the cable, i was in the engine bay last night at an idle and it was stuck, then id shut it off, with no cable interference! And the vehicle is boosted, and running quite a bit of boost threw it, I was planning to install my oil catch can this week.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a screw that prevents your throttle plate from sticking. If you look at where the cable goes to the throttle plate switch thingy, look right under the switch thingy, there should be a screw that keeps the throttle from closing all the way and sticking. your's probably fell all the way out from vibrations, or its just loose, adjust that. And use a little loc tight.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there should be a screw that prevents your throttle plate from sticking. If you look at where the cable goes to the throttle plate switch thingy, look right under the switch thingy, there should be a screw that keeps the throttle from closing all the way and sticking. your's probably fell all the way out from vibrations, or its just loose, adjust that. And use a little loc tight.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I saw that little screw last night and thought about that but wasnt too sure so didn't wanna mess with it. So should I loosen that then or tighten it? and It's the one that points toward the pass side of the vehicle correct? (if were thinking the same screw)