Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throttle Body Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Sizing

I am new to the forums and have tried to search through the "faqs" and using search for some help with throttle body sizing. I am wondering if putting a 70mm skunk 2 throttle body on my 1.6dy8 will actually do more harm than good. Could anyone push me in the right direction of the forum or just give me some general suggestions with experiences or knowledge on this issue. I am hopefully planning on putting a jackson racing supercharger in sometime in the spring or summer. I also plan on doing intake, header, test pipe and exhaust. I also plan on hopefully getting another head and possibly doing a little bit of work to that with porting etc..
Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Throttle Body Sizing (rhennin)

bump
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM

there is such a thing as to big, i think a 62-65mm would be sufficient enough. maybe i'm wrong though? it will mostly gain you throttle response than hp.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Throttle Body Sizing (Civicse)

well, i'd like to say the "bigger is always better" rule is not necessarily the best in theory. I read it depends also on the intake runner length. I would like to put something bigger on even if it wont be as good as a even bigger throttle body with a supercharger and other mods. I just dont want to go with an oversized throttle body and end up loosing power for now and or possibly overworking the motor etc... For now if I did upgrade the throttle body, all that I would do to the motor is intake, full exhaust, new spark plug wires and maybe a few other little goodies. Any suggestions? A few friends have suggested a integra throttle body. So that would be a 60mm size correct? Are there any other slightly larger ones out there, say 62 or 63? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 04:18 PM

I have a JG Edelbrock 64mm tb and have no complaints...I've read through numerous posts about 70mm being too large, although you'd have to ask someone more knowledgable as to exactly why...good luck though
Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imo i think the only way you would need a "bigger" throttle body would when your running forced induction are have the motor fully built. other than that you shouldnt need it.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Throttle Body Sizing (leeminho86)

Have you noticed any difference in throttle response or power whatsoever. I know that the differences can vary depending. I think a new throttle body should help some. The trick is to size everything together so they all work smoothly and together so clearly a 70mm wouldnt work if you had a stock intake manifold and or didnt have any type of upgraded exhaust or anything else. What kind of gains do you guys see me getting from test pipe, dc sports 421 header, intake, throttle body and upgraded msd or aem ignition? I'm hoping for somewhere between 15-20 whp. From what I've seen I think that this should be atleast an average to conservative guess. I am still though also considering not doing anything and doing a motor swap. A friend referred me to "Import Auto Salvage" in NC, says that theyre some of the best on the east coast. You guys know anything about em?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your always limited by the smallest source. if you have a 70MM TB but only have 60MM intake piping then your not going to get much gain.

i always make the TB as close to the same size as the intake piping.

platinum.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM

The gains were minimal if any, and that's with an aftermarket intake mani and mildly ported head. I think you may be disappointed if you're looking to get 15-20whp out of simple bolt on's for your 1.6. The money you would spend on your test pipe, header, intake, tb, and ignition would be comparative to the price of an ls swap. I think most people would tell you go boost or save your money for the swap, but whatever you choose good luck, you live you learn ya know.