Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

throttle body diameter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body diameter

I was just thinking, if I dumped the stock intake and tubing, and got a KN filter that would sit on the tb flange where the stock airbox is, it'd be a dirt cheap way to get a little power/mpg for not a lot of money (fyi several guys with older Saturns did this, I ran a shortram/wai intake on the one I used to have). So, I was wondering what the flange diameter the air filter would have to be sized to.

Or, as I did with my Jeep, I could use my dremel tool and enlarge the hole air enters the air filter box and dump the plastic tubing. I dunno.

It's my gf's stock civic, and it's gutless accelerating at speeds over 60mph so I thought something little like that might help it a little bit. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to, but if I do spend money, I want good parts (which is why I'm not buying some ebay intake)

Just wondering what you guys did.
-Matt

p.s. I know getting significant gains requires a lot of money, work (head porting, then port matching the intake and exhaust for example), or gutting it out, both of which isn't feasible, so I don't expect very much in terms of gains in mpg or power regardless.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Re: throttle body diameter (ChevelleSSLS6)

Are you saying that you want to put a K&N filter right on the throttle body itself?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throttle body diameter (Berge9798)

If that's what he means, he'd just suck in hot air.. Just get an ebay Cold Air Intake and drop in a K&N filter.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throttle body diameter (ke98248)

it's true that the air is warmer than outside air... a true cold air intake, taking air from outside of the engine compartment (and thus away from the heat) adds complexity and I question it's practicality with the big puddles (when it rains and fills potholes) and snow /slush we get here in Michigan CAIs need serviced frequently.

Shortram intakes still have the filter under the hood, which means less dirt and stuff gets into the filter, but also warmer air. With the exhaust manifold being at the front of the engine, the filter would be closer to the source of most intense heat. Then again, it's off to the side in a vehicle moving generally in a straight line.

With conditions not all that different (I think so anyway), it'd be interesting to get a thermometer reading of air in each location after a highway drive, and a stop and go city drive. (the different driving conditions will compare stagnant air temps to the constantly circulating highway air temps). If anyone wants to try this (maybe I will) it'd be interesting to look into.