Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Threw a rod bearing cap - did it ruin my head

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Threw a rod bearing cap - did it ruin my head

Hi everyone - I have a 2000 B16Y8 civic that I am doing a swap for a 1997 B16Y8 motor, there seem to be subtle differences in both of them that prevent me from swapping the accessory components strait across... In the 2000 block a nut from my rod bearing cap came loose, in the process it threw the bolt and nut all over the inside of the engine block, and broke some small chunks of metal from inside the block, there are no windows in the block, but it's quite apparent that the block is very unhappy! My question is, what are the odds that I destroyed the head? Bent a valve? I haven't pulled the head off yet, when I do, will I be able to see if the head is re-usable? or do I have to take it to a shop to have it looked at? There is a fuel injector air control valve on the 2000 motor that mounts to the thermostat housing, and apparently it feeds straight into my injectors, but on the 97 motor it's not there. Because of that the manifolds are quite a bit different and there are air ports in my injectors for the FIA control valve, I am trying to not have to plug those holes and run into future problems by using the 00 head on the 97 bottom end... any thoughts and or suggestions are greatly appreciated and extremely welcomed!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Threw a rod bearing cap - did it ruin my head

Pull the head and look at the combustion chamber
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only in the event of the piston dome coming in contact with the valves, in that 1 cylinder.
The head is either fine, or servicable.
But just like dc4ls said, as this question might be better asked when cylinder head has been removed, as you will be doing that anyways.
GL bud!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully not, but its possible. Pull the head and get it checked out.

I got my Y7 head from a Y7 block we swapped out which spun a rod bearing. I got it tested and the shop said it was fine. It passed CA smog and everything.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by champ421
Hi everyone - I have a 2000 B16Y8 civic that I am doing a swap for a 1997 B16Y8 motor, there seem to be subtle differences in both of them that prevent me from swapping the accessory components strait across... In the 2000 block a nut from my rod bearing cap came loose, in the process it threw the bolt and nut all over the inside of the engine block, and broke some small chunks of metal from inside the block, there are no windows in the block, but it's quite apparent that the block is very unhappy! My question is, what are the odds that I destroyed the head? Bent a valve? I haven't pulled the head off yet, when I do, will I be able to see if the head is re-usable? or do I have to take it to a shop to have it looked at? There is a fuel injector air control valve on the 2000 motor that mounts to the thermostat housing, and apparently it feeds straight into my injectors, but on the 97 motor it's not there. Because of that the manifolds are quite a bit different and there are air ports in my injectors for the FIA control valve, I am trying to not have to plug those holes and run into future problems by using the 00 head on the 97 bottom end... any thoughts and or suggestions are greatly appreciated and extremely welcomed!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
Yes there is a difference, the 00 has air injection for cold starts. If you use the 97 motor you should use a 97 intake manifold as well, makes it easier, or will have to modify a 00 mani, there are little holes that need to be plugged..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say if the piston contacted the head you'd see at the very least pieces of piston skirt in the pan too. Get the head checked by a shop.