Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thoughts on a build Im looking at buying...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a build Im looking at buying...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2191746164.html

What do you think? It looks clean as hell but I'm just unsure about it as a DD. He said he just uses it for autocross.

Thoughts? Opinions on price? Already talked to him and got him lowered but just wondering what you think. Good deal for 3500?

Updated with pics:

Last edited by Tiltboy311; 02-03-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thoughts on a build Im looking at buying...

bump, put up pics of the car. Im fairly certain im going to start donating blood to get the last few hundred together to buy this.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some pictures show spun crank bearings, evidence he beats the **** out of it(as if autox wasn't enough sign of that) and or it wasn't built right. I would skip it, a built single cam is a polished turd and that is essentially what you're paying for, he does have some fairly nice suspension components on it however. You can find something better for that price.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from the looks its a very clean shell and just need paint if you plain on swapping motors then try to get it as a shell and tell him to keep his d series.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bummer....where do you guys find these deals at? I've been looking for the last month and people want 1-1500 more than this for **** that looks worse. Autox I don't really mind, I did that with my miata strapped w/ a JR sc and still drove it daily.

I don't know hondas so I guess if you say stay away then I get to keep that blood of mine. Please, point me in the direction though. I don't live in cali otherwise I could walk down the street and trip over 5.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would never pay 3500 for a eg in any condition unless it was a K swap. there are clean hatches selling for 2k here with ls swaps and ls/vtecs
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tiltboy311
bummer....where do you guys find these deals at? I've been looking for the last month and people want 1-1500 more than this for **** that looks worse. Autox I don't really mind, I did that with my miata strapped w/ a JR sc and still drove it daily.

I don't know hondas so I guess if you say stay away then I get to keep that blood of mine. Please, point me in the direction though. I don't live in cali otherwise I could walk down the street and trip over 5.
It's your money,buy what you want.If you like the car then buy it.
You can't listen to everything you are told here about price's because this site covers such a big area prices are going to be vastly different.
Look on your local for sale sites and see what is out there and for how much money and figure out how far you want to travel to find the right car for you.
A good solid body is more important than a good engine,engines can be found everywhere but not so much a solid rust free body.
Thats just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought it. Amazing build from the floor up. for 3500 I got a great deal on this thing. Puts down 150whp and handles better than any fwd car I've ever driven. Absolutely nothing wrong with anything on the car what so ever.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You seem to really love it, so I think it's good you bought it, regardless of the price. Sounds like a fun car to drive. Are you going to paint it? What color?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I'm going to paint it red again. The shell was red when he bought it so I'm thinking about doing that again.

I do love it. I searched here for a week and there was nothing in my area at all and I wasn't willing to drive to ca to buy a 3k car, i'd use 500 in gas just to get there.

For 3500, I got a car that has had everything on it taken care of and rebuilt. The guy is a honda ASE master tech or whatever, don't remember what he said exactly but I think thats it. lol

Please, post a link to an eg hatch in this good of condition for less money that isn't located in cali.

I challenge anyone to. Im in TN.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Car looks pretty clean, it's not riced out and he swapped over the power options and cruise control from an EX coupe, it's also got a rear disc swap. just needs paint.

Edit, btw just looking at the couple of pics you have it really looks like someone knew what they were doing when they put this together. It's pretty rare to see that.

Last edited by 94EG8; 02-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Please, post a link to an eg hatch in this good of condition for less money that isn't located in cali.

I challenge anyone to. Im in TN.
Oh yeah. You won't find ANYTHING in TN this nice at that price. A lot of beat-to-hell Civics or musclecars with muscleheads driving them. Not a lot of import support around these parts.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean car good buy, a stock EG in upstate NY still sells for 4-5k with 140.xxx miles. So to me you got a good deal with the aftermarket parts and clean shell
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say good deal ^ but as above maybe it's just based on the prices in the area I'm in...3500...if it were close to me I would buy it right now. A clean shell and all those aftermarket parts would make the deal to me. I'd buy it with the plan to sell all things D series on it and you'd make close to enough to buy a b-swap locally.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great platform!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you got it and that you like it
From some of the other post you can see what I meant about prices.
Hope the car treats you well and you stay happy with it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in cleveland a few hours from nashville and for 3500 you got a good deal compared to alot of hondas ive seen for that price
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!

Yea I thought it was a good deal and every single person I talked to around me said the same. The guy was very nice and answered every question honestly. Said he'd stake his life on his build and if I had any problems he'd always be willing to help anytime. Even invited me to his autox events.

Guy had a lot of pride in the car and knew what he was doing. Was up front about everything it's been through too. The only thing it doesn't have is A/C and that's fine by me.

Came with a set of HX wheels painted white with slicks on them....anyone interested?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, as for taking out the D series...I'm good for now. I have no plans on doing anything to this car anytime soon other than paint but even that I might not bother with....I don't know why but I kind of like the primer look on it. The fact that it wasn't riced out is what gave me confidence in the buy. It wasn't a ****** mobile.

Said he built it to be turbo ready as well. I figure I might do that is anything, piece together a 700 turbo kit, set it on 8-10lbs and have quite the DD. It's fairly quick for what it is too. 150whp does a lot more for this than you'd think and the best part is that it's tuned to have power everywhere.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 AM
Seagull Management

I have no plans on doing anything to this car anytime soon other than paint but even that I might not bother with....I don't know why but I kind of like the primer look on it.
Primer is permeable, it will start to rust underneath if it's not painted pretty quick.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great buy. i know how hard it is to find a decent honda around here that hasnt been hacked to death. gl with it
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Primer is permeable, it will start to rust underneath if it's not painted pretty quick.
It's pretty high quality stuff and it's been just primer for a few years now and still holding strong. Would you guys trust a maaco job?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It depends on what kind of primer was used on the car.not all primer is permeable.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Seagull Management

Would you guys trust a maaco job?
I've been told that if you do the prep work yourself and all they have to do is shoot the paint on they'll usually do a pretty good job.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ It's largely dependent on the shop itself. Maaco represents nothing but a mix of painters thrown together for single stage paint-jobs. Every single one is different and there is almost no quality control so it's largely based on the painters in the actual shop. The one here is amazing. As mentioned above prep-work is key. If you don't tape things up yourself...prepare to get overspray on all of your seals and possibly even worse places.

Prep it all yourself...tape up everything you can...and have them lay down simple colors. I wouldn't trust them with VSM or anything but white, black, green, and red have all come out well from the shop here. Then if the paint isn't amazing, all is not lost. As long as you don't have fisheyes almost everything can be solved by taking it to a reputable detailer and having them perform a cut and buff. Even runs can be razored off, taped and sanded off, and your whole paint job will look pro...no orange peel, runs, all is well.

*edit* sometimes if you hangout and ask questions at local paint shops, you'll find out alot of their painters do work on the side for WAY cheaper. Alot of them here have a good size garage already prepped for paint when they need it with good compressors and water/oil seperation. You'll get the quality of the shop, minus the warranty and the crazy price. It may take a little longer, sometimes even less time. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a build Im looking at buying...