Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

For those of you who have replaced your exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who have replaced your exhaust manifold

I just got my new Dorman replacement exhaust manifold with cat today and I have a quick question. Did anyone use the exhaust manifold gasket that came with it? It seems to be made out of a really thin metal and I just dont know if its any good or not. I dont wanna have problems a few weeks after installing the manifold. Also, the gasket is raised on one side and the other side dips in. Which side should be facing the exhaust manifold?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: For those of you who have replaced your exhaust manifold

what, you actually bought an OE replacement manifold? I'd have just bought a header. When I was pricing out manifolds for a H22 swap, a new header off eBay was cheaper than even a used manifold. Not knocking you for it, just surprised. Make sure to put anti-seize on those threads, I've never had an easy time removing anything from any exhaust system.

I don't think it matters what way the gasket goes. It's raised so it can be pressed down and create a seal. However it fits better, if any.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a new gasket from Honda. It will probably be around fifty bucks but you will not have any trouble with it. I don't know about the dorman gasket but I always had an exhaust leak until I got a oem one from honda and replaced it. I have heard of people that just use the same gasket as before but I wouldn't reccomend it.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
what, you actually bought an OE replacement manifold? I'd have just bought a header. When I was pricing out manifolds for a H22 swap, a new header off eBay was cheaper than even a used manifold. Not knocking you for it, just surprised. Make sure to put anti-seize on those threads, I've never had an easy time removing anything from any exhaust system.

I don't think it matters what way the gasket goes. It's raised so it can be pressed down and create a seal. However it fits better, if any.
I've always reused the Honda gasket and never had a leak. The cat is built into the manifold so that would create multiple other issues for him if he did that option.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
The cat is built into the manifold so that would create multiple other issues for him if he did that option.
x2 which is why I did not go that route. I just bit the bullet and paid $190 for a new manifold. If the old gasket is in good shape, I'll reuse it. Any easy ways to tell if I have an exhaust leak afterwards?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spray some soapy water and look for bubbles.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, ok, the built in cat part is an issue. Legal and emissions issues and such...

You should see black soot around the exhaust leaks if you have any. If you clean your surfaces of rust, oil, etc and have a decent gasket, it should be fine.