Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off?

Dont flame on about cutting the stock springs i know what it does i just want to know how many coils would give like a 1.5in drop, im using the high speed cut off wheel so they dont heat up too much
Old 07-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off? (tfalconier)

i think most people cut off like 2...or 1 1/2
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off? (tfalconier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tfalconier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont flame on about cutting the stock springs i know what it does i just want to know how many coils would give like a 1.5in drop, im using the high speed cut off wheel so they dont heat up too much</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't do it, wht would you want to make the ride quality so shitty?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:34 PM

for 1.5 inches like 1 coil. You said don't flame but from someone who has been there and done that YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET IT. IT SUCKS AND GIVES YOU MORE TROUBLE IN THE LONG RUN!! but if you want to be stubborn and learn the hard way yea about 1 coil will give that much drop.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (electronb16si)

I cut 2 coils and then heated up the tops to shape the metal back to stock form for easy fit. Never had a problem.

My drop was about 1.5inch. It was perfect.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Economic Upturn, WUT

Default Re: (Luserkid)

doesn't it make you guys alittle uneasy that you are cutting something that is meant to hold your car up pretty much? and make it safely driven, just a question? no harassment.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 PM

I have cut springs for 3 years now and no problem. The ride is still the same.
I cut 2 coils and gave me a 1.5" drop at front.

Nice bling-bling look with out getting bouncy from a stiff lowering spring.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (Ahrpr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ahrpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesn't it make you guys alittle uneasy that you are cutting something that is meant to hold your car up pretty much? and make it safely driven, just a question? no harassment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its okay with me, i got a 2 1/2 cut in front and 2 coil cut in the rear seems like some regular lowered springs i just kept my bumpstops the way they are
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 PM

cuttin springs is old skool y0!! but anyways...i think 2 should be fine w/o much problems. we used to cut 4 turns back in the day...lol. the only problem we ran into was having a hella bouncy ride.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Synergy001)

had mine cut for about a year [2.5 coils] w/no problems or bouncyness, rode like stock
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (khoalie)

dangerous, most of us wouldnt recommend it (im surprised at that amount of people riding on such a set up)
Old 07-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tfalconier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont flame on about cutting the stock springs i know what it does i just want to know how many coils would give like a 1.5in drop, im using the high speed cut off wheel so they dont heat up too much</TD></TR></TABLE>
As others have already said, you're probably looking at about 2-2.5 coils. On my old Accord, I ran with H&R Sports and chopped off 2 coils in the front and 1.5 in the rear. The front dropped about 1.5-2" more. That ride was still good, though. No bounce at all. I doubt I'd do it again, but it looked kickass.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen people cut about 1-2 coils off the springs, but watch out, getting lower profile tires will cause a problem. Just be aware of that.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just go little by little. 1 coil first, see how you like it. If you don't, go further.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

be sure to bring a barf bag, because on the freeway your going to be all over the place.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:02 AM

Default Re: (Nihonjin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihonjin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dangerous, most of us wouldnt recommend it (im surprised at that amount of people riding on such a set up) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-23-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: (94_HATCH)

I wouldn't cut if I were you...

Just get some lowering springs if you have no money to go with coilovers...

And especially do NOT heat the springs like the guy above did cos you are risking too much... they can brake any turn you take... and that's not very pleasant to have a broken spring on say 10 o'clock turn with 50mph... very very dangerous...

But it is your car, your life, you can do whatever you want with it...

My advise is DON'T... you'll thank me afterwards...
Old 07-23-2004, 05:55 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: (KKVTi)

just cut em, who cares what other ppl say, ya its unsafe, but who cares... i know many ppl who road on cut springs for over a cpl years and no problems but blown shocks
Old 07-23-2004, 07:28 AM

This is the suspension of your car. The part that connects your car to the ground. The amount of people on here that are actually supporting the idea of using cut springs on stock struts is dumfounding me.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:56 AM

"I cut 2 coils and then heated up the tops to shape the metal back to stock form for easy fit. Never had a problem.
My drop was about 1.5inch. It was perfect"--------------------------------------------

LISTEN - I HAVE CUT SPRINGS, HEATED THEM , CLAMPED THEM ... YOU NAME IT - WHY BOTHER ..... NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY TELLS YOU THE RIDE QUALITY SUX ... N-E ONE WHO TELLS YOU DIFF. JUST WANTS YOU TO F--K UP YOUR RIDE FOR LAUGHS .

BECAUSE IF THEY HAVE EVER DONE IT THEY KNOW ... THE BODY ROLL IS TERRIBLE , THE BOUNCE IS TERRIBLE THE NOISE IS TERRIBLE , NOW A DAAYS YOU CAN BUY COIL OVERS FOR $100.00 OR GO THE HDA-TCH CLASSIFIED AND SOME PROBABLY HAS THEM CHEAPER - DON'T BE AFRAID TO DO IT RIGHT BECASUE YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF FOR WEASTING THE TIME IN THE LONG RUN
Old 07-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off? (bb4lude)

you will have the most bumpy ride in the world, ull be like the old skool ricers who bounce everywhere when they hit pebbles
Old 07-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your really that cheap go on ebay and get a set of used lowering springs. or those no name skunk2 knockoff sleeves.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (electronb16si)

AND FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TELLING YOU NOT TO DO IT , THEY PROBABLY ACTUALLY WORK ON CARS OR LIKE MYSELF ARE CERT. TECHS

IT DOESN'T TAKE BRAINS TO KNOW THAT THE WEAKER THE SPRING THE MORE PROBLEMS YOU ARE SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOTTOM LINE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME !~
Old 07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bb4lude)

You probably won't be able to sell your stock springs, so go ahead and cut them. Once you find out how crappy the ride is, just toss them and buy some real lowering springs. If it turns out the ride is okay, let us know. Really have nothing to lose by cutting them.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*sits back and waits for thread starter to post*

"OMFGWTFBBQ!!??? I cut my springs even tho everyone told me not to and now my car rides like **** and my shocks are blown!! HELP!"

dont do it. deny me my evil amusement.

Quick Reply: Those of you who cut your stock springs, how many coils did you take off?