Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

For those of you with auto vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 06:32 PM
JMD
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with auto vtec?

I have an auto sohc vtec cuz i haven't learned how to drive standard yet but thats besides the point. Can you feel the little kick at all in when vtec kicks in on an auto? I know sohc vtec is a small kick but on an auto how small is it if there is any at all?
Old 09-01-2003, 06:48 PM

you should still feel it. it only kicks if you're WOT and the engine is fully warm.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (MrIllegalX)

no. you can't.

I have SOHC VTEC with a 5speed, and I can't feel it kick in.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:45 PM
JMD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

anyone else with an auto???
Old 09-01-2003, 07:51 PM

um, i have an auto, but no vtec here.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. you can't.

I have SOHC VTEC with a 5speed, and I can't feel it kick in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea agreed, I have a 5 speed and I still can't feel vtec kicking in. I use to drive a 94 civic ex auto and I could not for the life of me ever feel vtec kick in..let alone hear it lol..ah well.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WongFeihung)

I used to own a AT EX, SOHC VTEC and no I never felt the VTEC kick in, but I knew it was working, because I had VTEC light installed. I went Turbo on that set up and VTEC wasnt heard cuz all ur heard was the turbo spooling. Also VTEC can be a bitch sometimes, if ur oil is nasty or not to the full line, it wont kick in at all. I now own a 93 Si same motor and yes I do feel VTEC and hear it. I have y8 Mani, GSR TB, and J-racing intake, and VTEC light which tells me at the same time.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:47 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: (UnrealSpeed)

on my friends car you could hear it and feel it...he said he could never hear it but when i pointed it out to him he said thats where he was feeling a slight "snag" making his car move
Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ciRcuitSi y0!)

i cant feel mine...every now and then i think i hear it...but....im not for sure....

my damed hybrid motor suxorz....
Old 09-02-2003, 03:22 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (siqcivic)

You should never be able to "feel" VTEC engaging. If you can feel it, then your car is tuned wrong and you are experiencing power losses immediately before or after the engagement point.

A VTEC engine's power and torque curves should be as smooth and linear as possible.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (siqcivic)

my girl has an auto civic 99 and i installed a vtec light on it but i cant tell any difference when its on sound or "feel" unlike my si which it is a explosive sound and "feeling" my friend has an 95 ex coupe and he has a slight sound and feel.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:11 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should never be able to "feel" VTEC engaging. If you can feel it, then your car is tuned wrong and you are experiencing power losses immediately before or after the engagement point.

A VTEC engine's power and torque curves should be as smooth and linear as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so then I guess every B-series DOHC VTEC motor is tuned wrong...
Old 09-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (civic-si-2000)

my 03 crv has vtec auto pos whne u floor it it just pulls and when vtec kicks u can hear it, it just pull more. theres no jerk nice and smooth
Old 09-02-2003, 06:21 AM
be professional

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so then I guess every B-series DOHC VTEC motor is tuned wrong... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Umm, yeah, whatever. Apparently my stock B16A is the only B-series that's tuned right then, since there is no noticeable variation in the torque curve around the VTEC engagement point.

Why don't you actually go drive a stock B-series car, and then try to come back and tell me you felt VTEC engage. Even better yet, go drive a stock Integra GSR with the B18C1 engine specifically, and tell me you can feel VTEC engage.

And as for the H22A engine, it actually is tuned "wrong" by Honda from the factory. Just because Honda sets certain things as they are, doesn't mean it is proper.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my 03 crv has vtec auto pos whne u floor it it just pulls and when vtec kicks u can hear it, it just pull more. theres no jerk nice and smooth</TD></TR></TABLE>
The CR-V engine actually uses a VTEC-E valvetrain, not a conventional VTEC valvetrain. Read about i-VTEC engines here.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (Targa250R)

[QUOTE=Targa250R]
Apparently my stock B16A is the only B-series that's tuned right then, since there is no noticeable variation in the torque curve around the VTEC engagement point.

mines the same just gets louder. its not like a turbo theirs no kick in the paints differance and its just a sound not a joilt or anything, the car will just pull faster. and sense honda is an economical compainy why would they make their cars jump or jolt..... they made their cars to be smooth thus the reason why u can't feel vtec engage. also the only reason the gsr is more noticable is because of the second set of runners. the jolt or jump u feel from the gsr is the runners opening not vtec. vtec is smooth.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (bmcc72)

As previously mentioned you can hear it but you won't feel it. It's MUCH more noticeable with the A/C on though.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i can feel it alil...like WOT its noticable....if u just hit vtec and let off u get a coniderable engine brakein....I got intake and exhaust, and not till after i road in an S2000 with exhaust in intake was i able to hear MINE more clear. But yea i can hear it, and there is a VERY VERY slight kick...3rd gear WOT u can feel it alil better
Old 09-02-2003, 08:54 AM
be professional

Default Re: (Hyjnx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyjnx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i can feel it alil...like WOT its noticable....if u just hit vtec and let off u get a coniderable engine brakein....I got intake and exhaust, and not till after i road in an S2000 with exhaust in intake was i able to hear MINE more clear. But yea i can hear it, and there is a VERY VERY slight kick...3rd gear WOT u can feel it alil better</TD></TR></TABLE>
What you are actually feeling is a slight torque loss immediately before the VTEC cam lobes engage - this torque loss is the result of the low-RPM cam lobes peaking and then beginning to drop off. Once VTEC engages, the torque curve returns to its original linear path.

When engines are modified, their torque/power curves change slightly, which affects where the VTEC engagement point should be properly placed. If you can feel the VTEC, then the engagement point needs to be adjusted slightly.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Umm, yeah, whatever. Apparently my stock B16A is the only B-series that's tuned right then, since there is no noticeable variation in the torque curve around the VTEC engagement point.

Why don't you actually go drive a stock B-series car, and then try to come back and tell me you felt VTEC engage. Even better yet, go drive a stock Integra GSR with the B18C1 engine specifically, and tell me you can feel VTEC engage.

And as for the H22A engine, it actually is tuned "wrong" by Honda from the factory. Just because Honda sets certain things as they are, doesn't mean it is proper.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because b18c1 cams suck ***. The difference between the standard lobes and the VTEC lobes is nowhere near as great as say ITR or CTR cams. My good friend sander (Jazzyfoo) did LSVTEC with 1st gen auto B16A cams...and they sucked, so he changed to ITR cams and there is now a VERY noticable difference at the VTEC crossover.

You have a good point however, i didn't really think about that (with the engagement point tuning)...enlighten me though...with V-AFC tuning you are supposed to run the car without VTEC (highest engagement) and then with VTEC (lowest engagement) and when the two power curves intersect that is the VTEC engagement right...well wouldnt the slope of the VTEC line after engagement be greater than the slope of the non-VTEC power curve, indicating a surge in power? (i've never tuned a VAFC on a dyno...so i'm curious)

I have no idea what a complete vtec vs nonvtec dyno run looks like...so i made this sped chart:
Old 09-02-2003, 10:07 AM

I assume the B-series vtec is a bit more "stout" than the D's but I remeber my friends 94ex "becoming louder" but nothing to write home about. My old B18c was much more noticeable from 4.4~5.5k than any D I've been in, but now the only difference I hear is when my head- liner resonates from the aHmighty d16y7's roar.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:12 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

so your saying on a graph like this you wont be able to feel the kick
Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: For those of you with auto vtec? (ciRcuitSi y0!)

the SOHC VTEC is nothing, you need a cam and headwork, to feel it, stock inturnals u won't feel much, try being in a B16A2 that engine by far, has the loudest VTEC, all Skunk2 Parts and a Stage 2 Cam = EAR Breaking VTEC, so nice.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so your saying on a graph like this you wont be able to feel the kick </TD></TR></TABLE>

no...i'm saying that you should feel a surge in power...the slope of the VTEC line at the engagement point is greater than the slope of the non-vtec line...so you would HAVE to feel a surge in power at the crossover...
Old 09-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that from a turbo car? ive seen alot of charts like that where on boosted civics the engagement is at the wronge time or the cam timming is a little off so their is a dip. the only reason u would feel a surg or power increase would be do the the quick drop before vtec egauged like in the graph....... why would honda make vtec engage hard, or noticably, people buying the car would think something is broke or wronge with it, they want it smooth. most people buying new honda's aren't buying them for their power. their buying them for the value reliablility and gasmilage
Old 09-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My GF has a 98 Ex and I can't feel or hear the Vtec kick in. Is there anyway to verify that the vtec is actually working? All she has is an intake and Random Tech Cat.

Quick Reply: For those of you with auto vtec?