Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle.........

i changed my knuckles and put integra brakes on my car, but the two screws that held the rotors on the previous spindle arent coming off. where can i get replacements? any other place other than special order from honda. they dont stock a bolt worth their life.

ot: i went into honda and asked for 1 bolt, to mount the sway bar bracket (for rear) to subframe.... they dont stock it. its special order.. "try acura its the same part number"

acura...same story

what the hell? a bolt! what must one do to get a suspension grade (grade 12 metric?) bolt? (finally i found a few extras in my drive way
Old 10-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (phantom_sol)

an impact driver should be able to get those screws off.
also a similar bolt for the sway bar can be found at a local home depot. just make sure the bolt you are buying is grade 8.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (whoDAT)

i already tried the impact driver. strippified believe it or not. thos things will NOT budge. also yea i believe these are the max ratings

grade 12 metric

grade 8 standard

correct me if i'm worng. this is what my friends say...
Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (phantom_sol)

get a drill, and a 1/2 bit. drill it till the head pops off. then use vise grips to get the rest off. they are put there to keep it from falling on the assembly line. i NEVER reinstall them. on any car i have ever worked on. well maybe once or twice. they arent necessary. its to keep the rotor on the assembly line.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh damn were they rusted to hell?
Old 10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (EL Vap133)

I hate those things when i get to the point where i have to change my rotors i am just gonna toss them i don't want them. I have only put one set of pads on the car, the body has like 30k on it
Old 10-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take a screwdriver and hit it with a hammer when its ni teh screw. Not too hard, just tap it in.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:32 PM

you need a Hand Impact Driver a hammer and some wd40 those screws dont have a chance
Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (frankgrimes)

past that.....stripped them already. drill them trust me. you dont drill all the way into the hub. use a 1/2 bit, drill it till the head breaks off. i do this all the time.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (frankgrimes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frankgrimes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need a Hand Impact Driver a hammer and some wd40 those screws dont have a chance</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the way to do it.

I stripped 2-3 of them..
Old 10-24-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a drill, and a 1/2 bit. drill it till the head pops off. then use vise grips to get the rest off. they are put there to keep it from falling on the assembly line. i NEVER reinstall them. on any car i have ever worked on. well maybe once or twice. they arent necessary. its to keep the rotor on the assembly line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After I changed my passenger rear hub due to a bad bearing, I neglected to replace the screws that held the rotor in. It was fine for a while, but after that whenever I hit a bump or cracks in the road the biatch shook and rattled like hell. I replaced the screws and all is good now. But, just a warning to those that don't replace those screws. I guess sometimes they do serve a purpose.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (sik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After I changed my passenger rear hub due to a bad bearing, I neglected to replace the screws that held the rotor in. It was fine for a while, but after that whenever I hit a bump or cracks in the road the biatch shook and rattled like hell. I replaced the screws and all is good now. But, just a warning to those that don't replace those screws. I guess sometimes they do serve a purpose. </TD></TR></TABLE>

personally i dont see how a 6mm bolt will hold the suspension together, but ok.
me personally i have never seen anything come of not replacing the 6mm screws. to each his own. we dont even stock them at lexus.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those scsrews to mount the rotor onto the spindle......... (boostedcivicsir)

Yeah whenever i have broke them on other cars i worked on at the shop i just drilled them off and didn't put them back on they are pointless IMO i have never had a problem with anything "shaking or rattling" so i don't know maybe you had bad luck or something.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frankgrimes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need a Hand Impact Driver a hammer and some wd40 those screws dont have a chance</TD></TR></TABLE>

The best way.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:09 PM

air hammer will take it right out.

C
Old 10-25-2003, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried the hand impact driver, thats what stripped it. one of my friends said that those screws dont do too much as well. and as long as the lugs are torqued evenly....