Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (particularly 96-00 civics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (particularly 96-00 civics)

ok i know this topic has been covered several times, but i still have not found a considerable solution to the problem.

problem: camber kit installed, and it hits the inner fenderwell upon hitting bumps and dips at moderate speeds.

the camber kit i have installed on my car right now is a SPC EZ arm kit (item number 62010). anyway, i've read suggestions on how to fix this (like denting out the part that's been hit), but that applied to crx's and the earlier model civics. but i wanna know what people with the 96-00 civics have done as a <U>definite</U> solution to resolving this problem. my car is lowered about 2 1/4" right now on GC's, so it isn't massively slammed. i'm really worried about the kit getting damaged.

any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Re: those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (One Slow Civic)

raise it up a little bit
Old 10-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">raise it up a little bit </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks.. i would do that, but i love my ride height right now (yes, i know that sounds kind of arrogant. don't get me wrong. i'm not trying to downgrade your comment; i appreciate it). i know that there are people on here riding with even lower drops than me, and i'm sure that they've figured a way around it without raising the car.

so if some people can give me advice on how to get around the camber kits hitting without raising the car, please share them. thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you done a proper alignment? It could be due to camber, heel, toe, etc.

Personally I'd rather have my car that 1/4 inch higher and not have to bang out my fenders, just my opinion though.

- Dan
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (DMoney)

yes, i have had a proper alignment done. everything was pretty much set to factory specs.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:00 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (DMoney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DMoney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you done a proper alignment? It could be due to camber, heel, toe, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heel?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: those with camber kits and fenderwell contact (VX)

Sorry I just mean heel as in, toe in, wrong term. My bad!

- Dan
Old 10-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a fender rolling tool and roll those rear fender lips
Old 10-14-2003, 04:33 AM
BuiltB18C1

maybe ur running too big of tires for the drop you have??? just cut out the black lining up front and bend up the little screw tabs and you should be good! in the rear, get a dremel and cut out the extra metal lip inside the fender. after that you should be golden!!
Old 10-14-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BuiltB18C1)

3 words to fix your problem....3 degrees camber....
Old 10-14-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mildly Interesting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mildly Interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 words to fix your problem....3 degrees camber.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

w3rd... thats my solution... 3+" drop on 17" wheels and only a slight rub on a full lock turn
Old 10-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mildly Interesting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a fender rolling tool and roll those rear fender lips</TD></TR></TABLE>

my problem exists in the front of the car. is it possible for rolling out the front fenders to fix the problem?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BuiltB18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe ur running too big of tires for the drop you have??? just cut out the black lining up front and bend up the little screw tabs and you should be good! in the rear, get a dremel and cut out the extra metal lip inside the fender. after that you should be golden!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

tires... i'm running on the stock si wheels right now with kumho 712's with size 205/50/15.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mildly Interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 words to fix your problem....3 degrees camber.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, i'm running on the stock size wheels right now, so i'm not sure that would fix it. my drop is about to the point where it's like half a finger gap, and i'm sure it's not the tires hitting, cuz i don't hear a rubbing sound. it's more like a "clunk" noise.. and it feels pretty hard. but yeah, i have the front camber set to almost 0 right now, so maybe that might be a problem.

thanks for the replies.. i e-mailed SPC, and they said to check to see if i have the bumpstops installed. as a matter of fact, i do. i have them trimmed halfway. i am still open to suggestions though. thanks!
Old 10-14-2003, 07:36 AM

Default Re: (One Slow Civic)

Well you can try to adjust the camber kit itself. I don't have the SPC camber kit but when I installed the Ingalls, I screwed the bolts in tight and once I was done, the camber kit itself was at an angle. Maybe you can loosen the bolts and angle the kit down? I'm not sure
Old 10-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I rub more with my OEM Si wheels with 205/50/15's than I do with my 205/40/17's...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

raise it up,or roll your fenders. but on 92-95 civics it's easier to just cut out the back fender wells so there is no way in hell it will rub.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
93EH6

Default Re: (zer0_2_6ixty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zer0_2_6ixty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">raise it up,or roll your fenders. but on 92-95 civics it's easier to just cut out the back fender wells so there is no way in hell it will rub. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i did i don't see why it won't work for a ek too
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zer0_2_6ixty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zer0_2_6ixty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">raise it up,or roll your fenders. but on 92-95 civics it's easier to just cut out the back fender wells so there is no way in hell it will rub. </TD></TR></TABLE>

when you say "cut out the back fender wells," are you talking about the fenderwells on the front of the car? if so, can you show me a picture of what you're talking about. thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 11:40 AM

Depending on where it is rubbing here are some solutions. Outer fender: Only thing I can tell you is to roll them under or let your car do it itself . Inner fender. There is a lip on the inside where two pieces of sheet metal join. If your too low it will cut your tire in the center. You need to take the fender liner out and use a dremel or some other means to cut the lip in 1inch sections and bend them flat with pliers or a hammer. It will clear up that problem if you so have one.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:00 PM

I was running Kuhmo 711s 205/50/R15s and was getting the same problem in the back of the car. Anyway I switch my tires to 195/50/R15s and no more rubbing. There is actually a good 1/2" difference in tire width and that was just enough for mine to hit the quarter panels when i hit bumps.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:36 PM

I also got a 00 civic with the Ingalls kit. It's at a 2 1/2 drop with the bumpstops from tokicos. I'm running the low pros on Si's. The camber is set at just about 0 I believe. I also have the one finger gap in the front, but the control arm isn't hitting the top as you were saying. The tires don't rub or anything, they've been pushed out so close, that you can't slide yoru finger straight up between the tire and inner fender.

Friends with an Integra, acorrd (early 90's) had the ingalls kit that allows you to adjust the Y part of the control arm instead of the ball joint point. THEY were the ones that had problems with teh control arm banging against the top (or bottom) of the fenderwell. When you popped their hood, you could see the apint cracking and slight lump where the metal was being hit. The both cars were slammed lower at about 2 3/4 to 3.

Well the point I originally started with was, maybe you car is just slightly too low. From what it looks like the Ingalls and your SPC is designed the same. I haven't hit yet like yours. and only my friends with the different designed camber kit had problems with their control arms hitting. Sorry to hear. Hope this helps.