Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged???

ok here is my bad news, i hope it doesn't mean work on my transmission, i rarely grind gears when shifting in high rpms, but anyway, every gear feels fine, i can rev my engine and down shift fourth to third and it will grap, no problems with the clutch or other gears making this sound, i'll just go into third and my clutch is fully injaged and it will make a click grind sound, can't tell a difference in performance, well only a little i guess, but the sound is bad, it goes into the shop tomorrow so i can get my bumper fixed from an accident i posted 2 weeks ago on here from a girl running into me, well after i get it back i'm going to check my transmission fuild and all because right now i can't pop my hood because my driver side panel is on top of the edge a little, but i talked to a owner of a 93 coupe,5speed of course and said the same thing happened to his for third and four gear, and he put in this new transmission fluid and it fixed the problem, anyone have this problem or know how to fix it, i don't want to have problems and paying for getting a new transmission so i hope you guys know whats going on and i hope its nothing serious, normal driving its pretty much ok, only during high rpms, its only been happening for 4 days now, and seemed ok i had it around 6500 and i did'nt here it but after my car harms up it does it, i hope you guys have enough info you can help, thanks guys alot for taking the time to read this
Old 01-19-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (redexchris)

Sounds like you might have a bad synchro on 3rd gear. Replace the tranny fluid first to see if it makes it any better (you might be able to get some more life out of it). You're probably going to be looking at tranny work or replacement soon though if it's grinding.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could it be that synchro is bad? try double clutching to avoid that grind.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:38 PM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (whoDAT)

could it be that synchro is bad? try double clutching to avoid that grind.

thats what my friend said about his 2gen probe, after he replaced the fluids it went away, he said my 3rd gear synchro could need replaced, if so how much for that to be done? , he is going to take a look at it after it comes out of the body shop, it does make the grind during regular driving, only fast shifting, while racing, anyone else out there have this and was the fluids?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened to my Sol. The dealership said 3rd gear synro was shot and I need either a rebuild or new transmission. So after about 5 months, I changed the transmission fluid and about a week after I rarely got any grinds.

So just try changing in some new Honda MTF.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (clm)

thanks dude, but you guys understanding what i'm talking about though??? sounds like you guys do
Old 01-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I have same problem = bad synchro... it's only when I shift at redline or so and just enough to feel and hear the noise but it goes in fine.
I know that synchro sets for B-series can be pricey (200-300) but if your's is a D-series those whole tranny can be had for cheap. If the problem persists or gets worse thats an idea.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (ill phil)

It is deffinately the synchro. You have a few options...

1. Do as others have said and that's try replacing the MTF and the problem might go away, being that it's only a little grind.

2. Shift slower into third unless you're racing. Just let the stick work its way in there. My 3rd synchro has been out for about 2 years...lol. It's fine when I'm racing cause I just rip it in there. But around town, I either double clutch, or let it slide in there.

3. Depending what engine you have, you could possibly replace the tranny for very cheap. If it's a SOHC engine, you can get D16Z6 trannies for about 300 bucks and even less from someone generous.

But for now, go easy on third shifts, change the fluid, and go from there. It's always happening with Hondas.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (Emerica)

yea its the ex engine, sohc vtec, i foget the code though, thanks guys
Old 01-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dude dont feel bad at all my car does the same thing...normal driving it seems to be ok....downshifting from 4th to 3rd.....cccccccrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkk... i havent tried changing the tranny fluid but i hope that helps mine....if not oh well its time to retire my d16 anyway and throw in a b-series
Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (93civEJ1)

hehe I thought I was the only guy, then I talked to a few friends and it seems to be that famous third gear. Only when I race it does it. But sometimes you just want to step on it. Funny thing is I replace my blown tranny for that tranny which grinded after two weeks.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (Fobstylez)

same **** with my d16z6 3rd gear when i get on it grinds all the time, but when i drive normal it doesn't grind at all
Old 01-21-2003, 04:03 PM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (careawholelot)

we all need to find out what the fu** is going on,hehehe, yea my car went into the shop monday morning ,i'm getting a new bumper, but i'm going to see if it still does it ,if it does i'm going to my friends this weekend he is going to look at it, check my tranny fluid and replace it, then if it doesn't go any he said my third gear synchro would probably need replaced, anyone know if a honda dealer could do this or how hard and how much it would cost if that would be the problem, i hope the fluid changes will fix it, would the clutch fluid ,(whatever it is called) help too? but thanks guys i'm not the only one,hehe
Old 01-23-2003, 06:19 PM

its almost bedtime and haven't looked in my manual but what fluids does the civic ex use, and is it auto tranny fluid or gear oil? or whatever anyone know?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends man...are you driving a stick or an automatic...if a stick...then just use some motor oil....I have heard that motul seems to do pretty good, but is hard to find?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:09 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (93civEJ1)

Just go to a Honda dealership and ask for some Honda Manual Transmission Fluid. It's approximately $4 a qt. and you'll need 3-4 qts. (consult your manual). Honda has been recommending their fluid for about the past 10 years because the newer motor oils apprently don't have all the minerals and additives that benefit the transmission.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Re: third gear grind sound when clutch is fully injaged??? (clm)

thanks guys, yes its manual tranismission , who drives a auto ,whatever
Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 AM

ya I have the same poblem with my third it started doing that the 2 week I got it and my friends Intergra does the same thing