Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thinking of buying a civic HB

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying a civic HB

ok i want to buy a new civic hatchback preferably 93 ex but im having trouble finding one and i aint got much $$.. now would i rather save and buy an integra??? or save and get a better honda??? i wouldnt mind buying a 90 si im sorta new to the racing seen and dont know much other then wat ive learned from a buddy who has a prelude w/ for wheel steering and he has a crx w/ a sohc vtec i think
but help a mofucka out
PEACE
Old 09-18-2005, 02:10 AM
99-0104

Default Re: thinking of buying a civic HB (Didly dane)

first of all they never made a hatch in a EX the top of the line model is the Si....... second of all if you want to go fast i would probally get a 92-00 civic hatch and put front and rear integra suspention on it then find a ls motor and install it and call it a day ..... dont dump money into this car thinking you will get it back ... you wont it is just another honda.... and there are millions of them avail. good luck
Old 09-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Didly dane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i want to buy a new civic hatchback preferably 93 ex but im having trouble finding one and i aint got much $$.. now would i rather save and buy an integra??? or save and get a better honda??? i wouldnt mind buying a 90 si im sorta new to the racing seen and dont know much other then wat ive learned from a buddy who has a prelude w/ for wheel steering and he has a crx w/ a sohc vtec i think
but help a mofucka out
PEACE</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm 93 ex is not a hatchback sir. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but your sentences could use more periods.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok 1st of all i type for speed not for grammar i could care less if i type perfect or not im not here to impress no 1 im here to learn some more about tuners.. and im not sure wat it was a buddy just mention'd it and said it was the lightest HB there was mayb it was something else
Old 09-18-2005, 02:25 AM
99-0104

Default Re: (Didly dane)

lightest is the CX
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm ok maybe it was cx or i was also thinking eg lol man w/e i just want a friggin civic hb honestly at the moment i could care less about which model i alread have 3 points on my record anyways so i gotta keep it kool and is this car shitty http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Old 09-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahah ya to bad the CX is also the slowest in there line up...go with a Si or a coupe...myself...getting a 95' EX coupe which blows the hb I was looking at...but as far as weight...coupe is a few hundred pounds over the dx I was looking at
Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DreaMsteR)

oh and another thing...its ebay dude...dont trust that...specially with a guy thats just a new member ...save your self up 5-6k and look around ebay with someone with a higher faction or look on cars.com
Old 09-18-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (DreaMsteR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DreaMsteR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah ya to bad the CX is also the slowest in there line up...go with a Si or a coupe...myself...getting a 95' EX coupe which blows the hb I was looking at...but as far as weight...coupe is a few hundred pounds over the dx I was looking at</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you buy a CX you get the lightest car you can find. Then you do a motor swap. Vola, slowness solved.

To the TO: Do more research and think more about what you want out of the car. If you're short on money you could always buy a CX hatch and save for a swap. Or you could go right after an Si or EX if you'll be happy with a D series.

My friend has a gutted EX coupe w/ built head running consistant 14.7s.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking of eventually getting a b16 is there a certain one id want..?
and yea im pretty broke i just started working at nike and im bearly bringing home like 300 a week
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Didly dane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking of eventually getting a b16 is there a certain one id want..?
and yea im pretty broke i just started working at nike and im bearly bringing home like 300 a week</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that all expendable income?

Are you looking to go NA or Turbo? If you're looking to go turbo I'd look more towards a B18B instead of a B16.

If you definately plan to swap and don't need things like AC or PS a CX would be your best bet. It's the lightest chasis you can find.

You just ride around with the slow CX motor for awhile, save money on gas, and then you do your swap.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You just ride around with the slow CX motor for awhile, save money on gas, and then you do your swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what I did. I make about the same as you, give or take. cx's are t3h lighters
Old 09-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's what I did. I make about the same as you, give or take. cx's are t3h lighters </TD></TR></TABLE>

CX has 8 valves, right? Or is that the VX?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 AM

cx is 8 valve rated at 80hp i think
Old 09-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Didly dane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok 1st of all i type for speed not for grammar i could care less if i type perfect or not im not here to impress no 1 im here to learn some more about tuners.. and im not sure wat it was a buddy just mention'd it and said it was the lightest HB there was mayb it was something else</TD></TR></TABLE>
But we care when we have to read your **** twice to understand what your illiterate *** is saying...
CX is 73 HP, if your doing a swap, get a cx and build it to spec, if you want relativly stock, get an Si. You can research all this crap yourself, its everwhere... Search, check out edmunds (It has everything you need to know about each model) and make up your mind.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (o5mar1)

8 valves, 70hp, I estimate around 50 to the ground. couldn't pass a damn dumptruck. but if I drove it right I could get 40+ MPG
Old 09-18-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">8 valves, 70hp, I estimate around 50 to the ground. couldn't pass a damn dumptruck. but if I drove it right I could get 40+ MPG </TD></TR></TABLE>

I pulled 50mpg out of my the old D15B8 (CX motor) I had in my ITR.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I pulled 50mpg out of my the old D15B8 (CX motor) I had in my ITR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can I ask why you had a CX motor in an ITR?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: thinking of buying a civic HB (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all they never made a hatch in a EX the top of the line model is the Si....... second of all if you want to go fast i would probally get a 92-00 civic hatch and <U>put front and rear integra suspention on it then find a ls motor and install it and call it a day ..... dont dump money into this car thinking you will get it back </U>... you wont it is just another honda.... and there are millions of them avail. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.. so yea, Im prolly gonna get a cx. thanks to most of you, unless i can fix up my jetta well enough to get atleast 3k for it and have another 1500 saved.. 4500 should get me an ok Si correct? But cost wise would it be cheaper to get the cx and do up some sweet suspension or go w/ the Si and then iono, do a swap?..and if i do a swap wats best b16 18 20? or something completely different like a h22 or wat? II honestly couldnt say I know the difference between these engines. If I was just to do it w/ out any knowledge Id prolly go w/ a b16, just from wat my buddy tells me.. so help me out thanks
DIDLY
Old 09-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="RED">EH's =</FONT>
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it all depends on what you're willing to spend. If you're poor but you want some decent dependable power, you have the b18 LS motor, makes 140hp and 13x ft/lbs torque. Usually these are the cheapest to find (my buddy's total swap money came to like $500), and if you're looking at boosting down the road, definatly a good choice. Next is the b16, 160hp and 113 ft/lbs torque, more money, more hp, higher rev range. These you can also find relatively cheap, anywhere from say $500-2200. If you want a better platform to start out with, then go with the b18c1/GSR motor. 170USDM/180JDM hp, 13x ft/lbs torque. These are harder to find at a cheaper price, say $1000-3200. Then you have the lesser known cheap swaps like zc and b20 which i wouldnt really recommend unless you're going to boost the b20 or make it b20/vtec, but with your income it doesnt really sound like it. Also the b18c5/H22/K series swaps are nice but again, way expensive.

Also, it doesn't really matter which model you get of hatchback. The only things that make them different as a CAR is the brakes, the SI has the biggest brakes with all around disks, while the cx/dx/vx has smaller rotors up front and drums in the back. Then you have you have the **** that weighs you down like sunroof, AC, power windows, power doorlocks, power ********, etc, etc. any other questions?

Modified by Bull_head360 at 11:49 AM 9/20/2005
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Stripped Honda)

i thought the lightest was the vx?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

just go around in parking lots and leave notes on people's hatchbacks with your name and # on it asking them if they are interested in selling it... thats how i got my cx from some old guy. and usually when you find those they are well maintained and not driven to shyt, they just might have alot of miles on them. dont pay over 2200 for a non si hatch thats dented to hell. then you will be able to use whatever remaining money you have on a motor.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM

why dont you search at all

type in some of the **** your typing here and youll find all the answers

it might be a hard concept to grasp

but i really hope you can manage.

pick a car, model and choose YOUR motor. its not our motor were not going to be driving it. YOU are so choose the motor that fits your specs

try researching before you hop on the "racing" banwagon

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a civic HB