Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si

I have a 2000 Civic Si with I/H/E and a CTR Intake Cam.. All stock besides that.

I want to make the car a bit faster, but keep it a reliable DD.

I was first thinking turbo, then N20, and now maybe JRSC. Someone locally is selling one.

Can I run a JRSC on my DD and keep it reliable? The car has around 90k miles on it. It's in good condition and I keep up with maintence very well. The compression is 215-225 across the cylinders.

What all is needed in this application? I like the JRSC because of it's simplicity and the lower amount of parts needed than if I was to go turbo.

I heard heat is sometimes an issue with the JRSC. Is this true?

I was planning on running a 6 or maybe 8 psi pulley. How much power do you think I will see from this?

Also since this is my DD (gets driven roughly 30-40 miles a day) is it bad to use a SC since unlike a turbo it's constantly pushing boost?

Tuning - Could I use a chipped p28 (or other obd1 ECU) or will I need aftermarket EM suck as AEM, Hondata, etc?

Thanks, all info appreciated.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si (Razr2)

I would go with a turbo, greddy or even better edelbrock, i mean if you want to keep it your dd. JSP wouldnt give you that much power. With the edelbrock turbo it comes tunned and everything you need, and you get 220 whp thats if you have your car completely stock, now if its not your dd you have many options but for a dd i would go with the edelbrock turbo, also with a sc you are gonna waste way more gas since its constantly running but with the turbo if you dont step on it all the time itll be just as having it stock until you hit 3000 to 4000 rpm and then comes the power and its carb legal in all 50 states, it comes with a somwhat small turbo, that spools up fast but you can also swap the turbo with a garrett gt2871r and you get more power you just have to tune it again. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbo setup would cost about the same, but give you a better powerband and is easier to upgrade when your power goals change. Check out the Forced Induction FAQ for the SC vs Turbo comparison and i'm sure you'll change your mind. As for the turbo setup, you don't have to go all out and buy a ballbearing turbo like the GT28rs. There are several turbo setups available for a lot less than you'd think...or you can do like most of us and build your own setup.

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/16
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A turbo setup would cost about the same, but give you a better powerband and is easier to upgrade when your power goals change. Check out the Forced Induction FAQ for the SC vs Turbo comparison and i'm sure you'll change your mind. As for the turbo setup, you don't have to go all out and buy a ballbearing turbo like the GT28rs. There are several turbo setups available for a lot less than you'd think...or you can do like most of us and build your own setup.

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/16</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also since this is my DD (gets driven roughly 30-40 miles a day) is it bad to use a SC since unlike a turbo it's constantly pushing boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just FYI, the JRSC doesn't always push boost. The blower is always spinning, but there is a vacuum-dependent bypass valve that will prevent constant boost. Light throttle anywhere in the RPM range doesn't close the valve so your engine is not seeing positive pressure. Unlike a turbo, engine speed, i.e. exhaust gas velocity and flow, is proportionate to the amount that the turbine is spooling.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si (Blk00EJ8)

Thanks for the info guys.. How about doing a Zex nitrous kit? I was thinking maybe a 35 shot and I would run it through a button, not the WOT microswitch. What I like about this is that I can use it ONLY when I'm racing, and not when DD.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Trial User

bump
Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Trial User

ttt anyone
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM

why stop at 35 shots you can safely spray 75shots in a stock b16. get both the wot throttle switch and also a toggle switch to turn the system on and off (i.e. you turn the toggle switch in the ON position and once wot is engaged the nitrous will be engage d, if the toggle switch is on the off position you can go wot but the nitrous would not engage). hope that makes sense lol
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 PM

I'm running a JRSC with my b16a2 on my EK, and I like the instant power compared to a turbo. I'm pushing around 200whp with just H/E setups, and I think I should get more after I get my blox intake mani installed and get a good tune. Should be able to do 10 psi safely for DD, right now it's only at 8.

For heat I sent the sc to LHT for the water-air intercooler setup, it does its job pretty well, but that's extras on your budget.

I think it depends on the powerband you're looking for, I certainly enjoy the sc, esp in a DD.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xentius)

I'd do B18C before I would do FI on the B16...

Can STILL go FI on the B18C if you want it...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All depends on your power goals and when you want the power,,, if your just wanting some extra power at the track and not all the time i would deff. recommend a 50-75 zex efi kit, those kits come with the wot switch and the control box that monitor fuel press and other things and will cut the nitrous if conditions aren't right, if your wanting more power all the time though i would say go with a good turbo setup instead of the sc, a friend of mine has one on his 00 si and always complaines he should have went with a turbo setup.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much HP do you plan on getting from boost before you start sucking down the bottles?

Seems like your compression won't make it too far without race gas if you plan on getting anything out of that setup. Or alcohol .
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much HP do you plan on getting from boost before you start sucking down the bottles?

Seems like your compression won't make it too far without race gas if you plan on getting anything out of that setup. Or alcohol .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am planning on doing one or the other, not both. Sorry if my post was confusing.

So my motor wont be alright on a JRSC or a zex kit (35 shot)? I will need to run race gas?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Man U FTW

Rather than gradually leasing power, just decide on what you want to do and save for it. Personally i would never use nitrous on my car...
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're gonna boost it, I would go turbo as others have said. Even with the simple Greddy kit, a buddy of mine put down 340whp with an '00 Si. Of course this was tuned with Hondata, but I'm saying that that little turbo can put down some nice numbers when it's tuned properly. I must say that car ripped and was a blast to drive! You could probably pick up a used kit for pretty cheap also.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: (Schister66)

Since you already have I/H/E and CTR cam I'd say go ahead and go with the JRSC. The bolt-ons you have will become worthless if you go turbo.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si (96hb)

True.. Well I'm not really looking for high numbers. Maybe 250whp max. I just want a comfortable DD that scoots.

If I do decide to pick up this JRSC do I need any other parts or is it a total bolt on? What do you reccomend tuning on?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: (Xentius)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xentius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> JRSC

blox intake mani

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im confused-- I thought the JRSC has its on IM??
Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Occupy GDD

Well the JRSC definetly wont get you 250whp.......more like 190-200whp (maybe a bit more if tuned). But if its a daily driver you really don't need that much IMO.

On the tuning part I'm not sure what you would use but I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Modified by Alex_G at 9:59 AM 2/13/2008
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're gonna boost it, I would go turbo as others have said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personal preference... not going to debate this again...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im confused-- I thought the JRSC has its on IM??</TD></TR></TABLE>

It does... maybe he meant IM gasket similar to Hondatas?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alex_G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the JRSC definetly wont get you 250whp.......more like 190-200whp (maybe a bit more if tuned). But if its a daily driver you really don't need that much IMO.

On the tuning part I'm not sure what you would use but I'm sure someone will chime in on this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can get you 250 whp if you up the boost, but at 15 psi (give or take) for those numbers, you'd be generating a lot of heat and the blowers efficiency would be in the toilet. Your intake air temps would be nearing 300*F or more most likely. The JRSC intake manifold can be modified to allow for air-to-air or air-to-water intercooling that make it possible to bring the air temp down to just above ambient. Endyn comes to mind.

You can tune it with any standalone (preferred) or piggyback that you would use with any other FI application.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True.. Well I'm not really looking for high numbers. Maybe 250whp max. I just want a comfortable DD that scoots.

If I do decide to pick up this JRSC do I need any other parts or is it a total bolt on? What do you reccomend tuning on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

By the way, a lightly used kit can be had for a decent price and it is pretty much direct bolt-on. Stock boost is around 6 psi so that will not get you anywhere near 250 whp but it's a nice bump in torque and is easy to install and maintain. You can definitely have fun with less than 250 whp.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si (0930_SI)

i had a jeff evans tunned JRSC/GSR delsol for my daily driver for over a year and had no problems at all. it had great torque and power any time you wanted it but it wasnt always in boost just crusing around so i still saw 21-28 mpg around town if i kept my foot out of it haha and i think it way more reliable and eaiser then a turbo set up b/c ive tryed that also. just trying to help
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personal preference... not going to debate this again...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't even your post, so why would you?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si (96hb)

Yea, that is the main reason I wanna go the JRSC route instead of Turbo. Ease of intstallation and maintence. I know with turbo the reliability always goes down and maintence goes way up.

Like I said I need this to be a nice reliable DD, and I would be happy with 200whp.

At stock 6PSI, will it still generate alot of heat? Will it be a problem?

Quick Reply: Thinking about throwing a JRSC on my 00 Si