Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please?

Well, I used to participate on these boards a lot when I had my 1992 EG8, but I got rid of that car and got a 2006 Toyota Corolla. It was good while it lasted (Insurance claims it was totaled), and I am now looking into getting a 1996 Civic EX sedan.

I can honestly say that with gas prices, and the reliability of my last Honda, it's a no-brainer to go back to the SOHC. What I am hoping to get a little insight on:

The car has 103k and looks to be in great shape (bodywise) and I am hoping mechanically it runs good. I have checked a carfax on it and it only has emission testing and title change reports on it. Which is awesome. The dealer is asking $4,000 for it and I will be paying cash.

Do you think that is a reasonable price for a 12 year old car (granted it is a Honda, but still, 12 YEARS OLD!?!?)?

Will I run into any major engine/transmission problems with that mileage?
NOTE: My last Honda had a lot of problems from around 115k to 130k (when I got rid of it)

The car is an automatic (has to be for my fiance to drive it too), are there any drawbacks on this model?

What are some obvious signs I can look for when I go for my test drive?

I know it's a lot of questions, but while I am awaiting some responses I will use the search function (as i am sure most of you will tell me to do ) and try to read up as much as I can in the FAQ thread.

Thanks for your time and any help!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (CRISIS)

$4000 is the exact same price i paid for my 96 ex. almost the same miles on it too. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (CRISIS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRISIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The car has 103k and looks to be in great shape (bodywise) and I am hoping mechanically it runs good. I have checked a carfax on it and it only has emission testing and title change reports on it. Which is awesome. The dealer is asking $4,000 for it and I will be paying cash.

Do you think that is a reasonable price for a 12 year old car (granted it is a Honda, but still, 12 YEARS OLD!?!?)?

Will I run into any major engine/transmission problems with that mileage?
NOTE: My last Honda had a lot of problems from around 115k to 130k (when I got rid of it)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you had a lot of problems, you got a freak. my integra had 140,000 miles on it and i drove it all the way to 180,000 with the only real problem being 1 bad starter, and the heat failed right before it got stolen and set on fire.

theres really not that much difference between a honda and any other car when you want to go look at one. check the fluid levels, check under the car for suspension functionality/broken parts/rust. (on a lift if posssible), look for exterior flaws. when driving listen and feel for strange vibrations and noises. don't be afraid to push it, but no beating the **** out of it. if you see any metal on any dipsticks, walk away. any smoke, walk away. and DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE DEALERSHIP DETAIL. the car will be clean. whoop-de-freakin-do, it won't be that clean ever again.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (Ctown2Ctown)

Yeah, i'm pretty sure my last Honda's defects were inflicted by me.

I overfilled my engine oil.

IT WAS MY FIRST TIME!!! lol
Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRISIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, i'm pretty sure my last Honda's defects were inflicted by me.

I overfilled my engine oil.

IT WAS MY FIRST TIME!!! lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

remember 3.7qts. My 97 hx has been wonderfull and have not had to do a whole lot to it. I will say at those miles hopefully the timing belt/water pump have already been replaced and if not then you'll def. want to get those done fairly soon. Pretty much all I've done to mine is change the oil, tranny fluid, tune up's, timing belt and water pump, front brakes, replaced axles because of busted boot which is fairly typical for almost every fwd out there. 170k+ still riding on factory clutch too. Also I've had the typical window related problems due to the window regulator but just put them back on track and it still works. Hope you get it and good luck with it
Old 10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my 96 Lx 4dr for 4500 with 103,000 on it. Only thing that has happened was a hairline crack in the top radiator endcap. Now has 141,000 still running great.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (alphalanos)

I got my 96 ex coupe for $2500 112K miles. sure it was not in perfect condition but it was pretty clean. if ur gonna pay cash i would buy a car from a private party. once you end up paying taxes and fees you will be at more than $4,000 plus you might be able to find a better deal if you buy private party.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (96ex_white)

I had a 98 EX auto and had problems with the transmission. It would shift hard and the speedometer would work intermittently.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (usdm-ferio)

thats a bad ground.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (Frost7177)

Update:

I was unable to check out that vehicle, but I did find a much cleaner, rust-free, dent-free 1998 Civic EX and at a cheaper price. $3,495.

The catch is it has 148k on the clock. Would it be ideal to save a possible $500-700 dollars by getting a higher mileage car? I will be going through everyhting when I get there and pray maintenance was well kept.

It's getting tedious trying to find a 4 door EX auto with decent mileage for a decent price I may have to broaden my search area.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRISIS: I'd go with the 98 all the way. If maintenance has been done somewhat regularly, you probably have another 100k miles to go.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car is an automatic (has to be for my fiance to drive it too), are there any drawbacks on this model?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude, I think the drawback is with your girl being unable to drive stick. Teach her, if she's patient and you explain the basics carefully, your clutch will be fine. AT is more expensive to maintain and fix, heavier, easier to break, gets worst mileage and is boring.

Good luck,

-Walter
Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please? (DSMAddicted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMAddicted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, I think the drawback is with your girl being unable to drive stick. Teach her, if she's patient and you explain the basics carefully, your clutch will be fine. AT is more expensive to maintain and fix, heavier, easier to break, gets worst mileage and is boring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've really got to agree with this guy, especially where 6th gen automatic civics shift so poorly. I think people confuse can't drive stick with have yet to learn how to drive stick.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRISIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am now looking into getting a 1996 Civic EX sedan.

Do you think that is a reasonable price for a 12 year old car (granted it is a Honda, but still, 12 YEARS OLD!?!?)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL! I hang with a guy that's driving a '82 Nissan 300zx turbo - a '96 CiViC would be like a 'new' car to him...

I drove a '00 CiViC 185000 miles. In that time, I went through 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of front pads, and a battery. I also went through about 6 sets of aftermarket headlight bulbs and 10 sets of spark plugs. Still... nothing major happened to it.

My current ride has 115000 on the HX shell and 95000 on the B16A2 motor - looks great and runs like a top!

Anyway, a $4000 '96 CiViC with 103000 miles wouldn't bother me... except for the autotrans. Make sure it's okay!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about getting another Honda. A little insight, please?

mine has 177,000 on it and it all depends on how the person took care of it but as with any used car it's hit and miss. I would go for it as long as everything checks out ok. About the only things I can think of off the top of my head is the cv joint boots and the axles, but they aren't too terribly expensive and you can do it yourself. I did mine in like 3-4 hours but I really took my time and I didn't have a lift so I used a jack and jack stands and did each side at a time. I bought a used set off here actually from someone who did a swap and these had 50k miles so I should be able to get some good use out of these before I have to do it again. I wouldn't get an automatic honda or at least a civic one, I've seen and heard about too many that bit the dust.