Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thinking about changing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about changing exhaust

hey guys im thinkin about changing my exhaust to a aftermarket one. my civic is basically oem i plan on getting or try to get SI bumpers,sideskirts,lip,new gauges. my civic is a 00 ex 2dr auto. i know auto isnt very good but the fact that when i bought the car i didnt know how to drive a manual and i was working at the time played a huge part in me picking it up.
Edit: i wont have the cash till xmas to grab all the stuff. so whats a good aftermarket exhaust for a decent price that will up my hp a bit. also i would need some1 to help me change it due to the fact that I have no experience changing exhaust or anything.
Edit2: I just found out when i bent my control arm (getting it fixed right now) my timing belt and water pump need to be changed so i wont be able to grab it before xmas.
Edit3: I dont want a exhaust kit that sounds like ***. as in loud and obnoxious.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about changing exhaust

IMO, doing much of anything for HP gains with the Auto trans is useless. Not to mention an exhaust that has a nice tone to it will sound like crap on an Auto.

I would focus on doing an Auto to Manual swap if your really wanting to do anything. Instead of dumping $400-$800 bucks or so on an exhaust. Do the conversion.

The manual will be quicker in stock form, alot more fun to drive, chances of tranny problems are alot more slim, and its a much better platform to build off of than the Auto.

Thats just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with Matt93eg. my car was a 2000 civic Ex just like yours and i can vouch that for the price of a full exhaust you can get all the parts together for a auto - manual swap.
if you need info on it you can search or ask myself i will be glad to help you out.

and to give you an idea of performance gains i gained about 1 second in my 1/8 mile times switching to the manual. any exhaust would only be worth about a .050 seconds in the 1/4.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would build the car from the outside in. As for me, I'm focused on cosmetic first. My D16Y8 has less than 100K miles, why tear it out. I would put off any tranny and engine swapping until you have done a ton of research. BTW, check out the APEXI WS2 tail pipe for starts.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice. just a bit of info i would help doing a conversion. Also i am a full time college student so it would Have to be done on the weekend with some1 to help me out cuz I wouldnt know crap how to switch a auto to manual. I agree that I would love to get a manual conversion kit for my car.
Edit: would it be easier just to grab a manual trans and put it in or what?

Last edited by cvrtsniper; 11-25-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta agree id definetly put my money toward the manual trans swap... you would love drivin you car so much more, and youd get full potential on any later mods.
yea just pick up a manual trans,ecu,shift linkage, shiter counsol, clutch etc.... just get it all piece by piece.once you got it all, swap it out
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also what im trying to say is i dont trust myself to put it in. I would love it if some1 locally could help me swap it out and tell me what i need. just a side note: I dont have the tools/room to do it. and no way in hell I want to go to a mechanic to put it in.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cvrtsniper
thanks for the advice. just a bit of info i would help doing a conversion. Also i am a full time college student so it would Have to be done on the weekend with some1 to help me out cuz I wouldnt know crap how to switch a auto to manual. I agree that I would love to get a manual conversion kit for my car.
Edit: would it be easier just to grab a manual trans and put it in or what?
There is no so called "kit" for converting your car from Auto to Manual. You have to piece it together like DAintegraGSR said. Once you have all the stuff you do the conversion. I am sure you could find someone locally to give you a hand. You would need somethings such as a Hydro EX D-Series Tranny, Clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch lines, 5-spd pedal assembly, shift linkage, shifter, shift ****, shift boot, Clutch kit, flywheel, etc.

It will be well worth it though.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. so im lookin at around 500$ for a manual conversion
Old 11-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats do-able. Biggest thing is finding the Tranny at a good price. All the other small stuff can usually be sourced and picked up at good/decent prices. I would buy new on the clutch and flywheel. Then you know there new, plus a new clutch with a new flywheel..broken in properly feels nice
Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did mine on my last EG for $400.

transmission - 200 shipped
clutch kit - 100
pedals - 40 shipped
shift linkage - 20 shipped
master cylinder and hyd. lines- 20 shipped
and random nuts and bolts from lowes - 20

o btw i was already running a chipped P06 so i didn't have to mod the AC
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awsome. how long would it take to convert it?
Edit: i might be able to afford it january cuz i had to take my car to the mechanic to fix a bent control arm, new timing belt and new water pump. i also had to grab a new tire/rim