Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

think your a honda expert figure this out???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think your a honda expert figure this out???

My speedometer is broken i have know rulledout all posiblities with my friend who has the same exact car 99 civic d16y8. we have swapped both gauge assemblies and vechile speed sensor. ripped the entire dashboard apart to follow the vechicle speed sensor wire which was connected no cut or breaks all the way also check soldier point in junction connectors. still nothing so know what do i do???? im stuck with a modified sohc vtec with no vtec the duration of my fuel; injectors are off and my idle is fucked up. all from my sppeedometer not working cause the ecu isn't getting a signal any ideas??????????i it has stumped 4 automtive mechanics i brang it to offering to pay for help they dont know though also myfriends are clueless??????
Old 08-26-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: think your a honda expert figure this out??? (civic99sohcvtec2)

Didn't you already make a post about this? Nevermind I did a search and you made 4 post about the same damn thing. Why don't you just use one???
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM

well noone seems to be ansewring they say this is honda -tech but it seems to be people trying to sell **** and show trhere cars off that seems to be the major subject that replied to i rather just go to ebay if i wanted to look at cars
Old 08-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you and your friend should swap engines and see what happens
Old 08-26-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your VTEC should be engaging regardless of the speedo working or not. You must have some other codes or something is not hooked up properly (oil level or VTEC solenoid/oil pressure).

What ECU are you running? Any CEL?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swap ecu's
Old 08-26-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: think your a honda expert figure this out??? (poison)

actually no vtec will not engage unlss there is a signal from the vss to the ecu or it will not engage look in all other post from past many other people who have had the same problem alot of things use the signal from the vss to determine certain thngs such as the iacv vtec ignition ect.. belivew it or not i definitaly know what i'm talikng about like i said look at other forums people have had the same problem some never able to fix it!!! like i said the engine is mofifed with low miles all oil pressure Stuff like that is find belive me i check ive checked it yes the cel light comes on saying no signal to the vss wich i now that cause it dont work on speedometer i am using a obd2 ecu and i forgot the # but its the code for vss
Old 08-26-2003, 02:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic99sohcvtec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually no vtec will not engage unlss there is a signal from the vss to the ecu or it will not engage look in all other post from past many other people who have had the same problem alot of things use the signal from the vss to determine certain thngs such as the iacv vtec ignition ect.. belivew it or not i definitaly know what i'm talikng about like i said look at other forums people have had the same problem some never able to fix it!!! like i said the engine is mofifed with low miles all oil pressure Stuff like that is find belive me i check ive checked it</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is correct. VTEC WILL engage provided the VSS is working just fine and hooked up to the ECU. If the speedo on the gauge cluster is not hooked up or working, it will work, just as long as the VSS is working to the ECU.

What ECU are you using and what codes are you throwing?
Old 08-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic99sohcvtec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well noone seems to be ansewring they say this is honda -tech but it seems to be people trying to sell **** and show trhere cars off that seems to be the major subject that replied to i rather just go to ebay if i wanted to look at cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all DO A SEARCH !!!! Did that even cross your mind at all?

And its not the fact that you posted 4 times about the same topic you posted twice a day about it and you made your nice little comment about us...dont step on the toes of people that can help you newbie
Old 08-26-2003, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic99sohcvtec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well noone seems to be ansewring they say this is honda -tech but it seems to be people trying to sell **** and show trhere cars off that seems to be the major subject that replied to i rather just go to ebay if i wanted to look at cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

Welp, since you decide to get attitude. This is why no one is trying to help you.

I couldn't agree more with you on the selling BS in this forum. But that will be handled.

Want to push it further? Or be courteous and ask for some help.

I rest my case.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Re: think your a honda expert figure this out??? (95excoupeMT)

i bet $100 its somthing simple
Old 08-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The spedo has notheing to do with your problem. so don't go there. The problem is with the VSS or the VSS wiring. If a known good VSS has been installed onto the tranny and it didn't fix the problem then its the wiring.

To check the wiring you need continuity back to the ECU with the VSS signal wire. If that checks out then you need to check the other two wires which are for signal and sensor ground.

So unless the ring on the diff that turns the VSS has come loose then the problem is with one of these wires.

brian g
Old 08-26-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: think your a honda expert figure this out??? (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your VTEC should be engaging regardless of the speedo working or not. You must have some other codes or something is not hooked up properly (oil level or VTEC solenoid/oil pressure).

What ECU are you running? Any CEL?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummmmm......you have no clue.....if there is no speedo signal then VTACK will not work!!!!

to the original poster

check to see if the wires in the wireharness clip have corroded!!! or if there is water or something ie liquid to short them out....

try taking the white clip out.....

let me know