Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Things to consider before lowering your EK

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to consider before lowering your EK

So I probably should've searched through a little more, this information has probably been posted I just figured I'd post this about my 96 civic EX been trying to get everything straightened out after I bought the car already lowered. So I bought brand-new tires Rota slipstream wheels and brought it to the shop to get aligned. And the guys like well I'm able to set everything but you should buy camber kit so I went and bought a camber kit, new rta bushings back to the place and the guy was giving me lipservice saying that I also have a little bit of caster adjustment, and that I need a caster kit! and he would have to download some special information To do my camber. I told him I would do the camper myself, And he agreed I should be able to do it was just a level but I was thinking why couldn't he do it with just a level. So I set my camber yesterday and it threw off my toe. So this guy is messing with me right? I'm going back on Monday he better realign my car, or else that yelp reviews going to be ugly!

but anyways just wanted to let you know guys if you lower your car, and you want the ride to be somewhat decent, you need to look into camber caster and scraping your oil pan! ( i've got some serious scratches on my oilpan!)
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Things to consider before lowering your EK

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...tions-1998336/

Caster is not adjustable, and does not need to be adjusted unless there is something broken or damaged. You can't do camber with "just a level". There are DIY methods, but it takes quite a bit more than that. Take it to another shop.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Homestly I'm really not worried about the caster, I'm gonna see how it drives I found some bushings that are supposed to help with the caster if I need to go that route. But are used a level and my smart phone with the level app and I dialed my rear camber to zero and I put my front to -0.2, I was going to do zero but I figured it might help me when I'm doing a fast turn. Anyways I brought the car to the shop today and I just realized the tow now my camera until were sad I'm gonna see how it drives I think it's going to be good! 👍🏽 Thanks for the input I also thought that Caster thing was stupid.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...tions-1998336/

Caster is not adjustable, and does not need to be adjusted unless there is something broken or damaged. You can't do camber with "just a level". There are DIY methods, but it takes quite a bit more than that. Take it to another shop.
Welcome back NARC haven't see you around in quite a bit.

Oh and dude if you want to take "fast turns" why did you zero out your camber? Zeroing out camber on a lowered car defeats the purpose of lowering a car.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kill it with fire.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:40 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

When doing an alignment, Camber must be set first before toe. The alignment tech should have told you that. Camber should be set at -1.0 for street driving. With too little camber you will find the outer edges of your tires wearing from hard turns. Kinda depends on how you drive though.

Don't mess with caster unless you are having problems with the car pulling to one side or something. It won't wear your tires or cause problems.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the input 94 eg I just figured I wanted minimal tire wear, my car is so slammed I have to watch it on the turns, speed bumps driveways ect but my build advisor told me to zero my front camber so I can grip the road better, I just zeroed the rears because I was kind of tired of the cambered out look too. Just felt so much better to look at my tires then being straight. But I notice not my rear tires are closer to the fenders within 11/2"! Yikes I think I'll go to -1 camber thanks! Definitely low enough to get a ticket I guess your car supposed to be over 4 inches off the ground. Here I some pics!

Last edited by Derek Perez; 06-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you ain't even low lol
Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Post the alignment printout.

They are trying to get a sale off you.
Also, you aren't slammed
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Your "build advisor" is a ******* idiot. You seriously need to reevaluate the people you take advice from, given some of the information you've already posted here.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
kill it with fire.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:00 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Put it back to stock. That will look 1000x better
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok notarcist, why is he an idiot elaborate please, by way it might not be slammed but it scrapes pulling into my driveway. My oil pan is less than 2 inches off the ground and so is my downpipe.,. I just don't have a body kit on the front and rear... here's a video for all you haters lol
Facebook Post
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Perez
Ok notarcist, why is he an idiot elaborate please, by way it might not be slammed but it scrapes pulling into my driveway. My oil pan is less than 2 inches off the ground and so is my downpipe.,. I just don't have a body kit on the front and rear... here's a video for all you haters lol https://www.facebook.com/derek.perez...59753930918778
oh my god
Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

if you have a build advisor, you don't need to be modifying cars. lol
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Things to consider before lowering your EK

I didn't just modify this car I swapped the engine did the clutch replaced my fuel pump, preform did rear disc brake conversion and now I got all 4disk brakes with working ABS after I spliced my ABS sensors. My buddies a street racer who has a fully built b20 designed by bisiMoto and running a75 shot nitrous. trust me Hell probably smoke all you guys on this thread. By the way if you guys want to talk trash on me go ahead but I guarantee half for you guys probably don't even swap your own motors probably don't even like it in your hands dirty. Once I install my Skunk2 alpha series valves and retainers, get my chipped OBD one ECU and then I'm going to the Irwindale speedway and I'm going to hit a 36 shot nitrous I'll let you guys know the numbers it I should be hitting close to 180 hp after I hit my nitrous...
Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP: is the suspension coilovers or a lowering springs?
There's always a trade-off of lowering vs ride quality so, you have to ask yourself which is more important to you? Admittedly, a small wheel gap looks nice but is it worth bottoming out and harsh ride over bumpy/lumpy roads, scraping tires, quicker tire wear, potential engine and exhaust damage? Add passenger(s) and makes it even more dramatic. If, your setup is adjustable you might want to find a happy medium between stock and slammed.You might find you don't lose much handling and gain some ride comfort.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guarantee half for you guys probably don't even swap your own motors probably don't even like it in your hands dirty.
OP: you best get your ego in check! Neither you or your build advisor are adding anything new to the Honda world and in fact are just doing mods/swaps that others have developed, written about, You-tubed, etc...long before you came onto the scene. In essence you're just another monkey turning a wrench. NARC may (or may not) have been out-of-line when he commented on your build advisor but, only time will tell on that one. To think and comment that members here aren't capable or haven't performed similar mods/swaps that you and your adviser have done is ridiculous and asinine.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
OP: you best get your ego in check! Neither you or your build advisor are adding anything new to the Honda world and in fact are just doing mods/swaps that others have developed, written about, You-tubed, etc...long before you came onto the scene. In essence you're just another monkey turning a wrench. NARC may (or may not) have been out-of-line when he commented on your build advisor but, only time will tell on that one. To think and comment that members here aren't capable or haven't performed similar mods/swaps that you and your adviser have done is ridiculous and asinine.
no my bad I'm cool yeah the only reason I have a build a advisor because I just honestly been doing all the work by myself and I just need a advice here and there from somebody that already has a pretty good Honda and he has the same model as mine

by the way I have lowering springs with Trueheart short struts and SickSpeed tophats. Honestly the ride is better now because when I got the car they just had stock size shocks with lowering springs ever since I installed the truehart sport short struts with the top hats I noticed my ride actually has a little bounce to it which Is ok because my car rides a little higher now.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
you ain't even low lol
you might say that but I live in California and I can get a ticket for being this low...
I was just under my car and I noticed some scratches on my oil pan, I just installed an H brace so hopefully it'll hit that instead
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

I didn't just modify this car I swapped the engine did the clutch replaced my fuel pump, preform did rear disc brake conversion and now I got all 4disk brakes with working ABS after I spliced my ABS sensors. My buddies a street racer who has a fully built b20 designed by bisiMoto and running a75 shot nitrous. trust me Hell probably smoke all you guys on this thread. By the way if you guys want to talk trash on me go ahead but I guarantee half for you guys probably don't even swap your own motors probably don't even like it in your hands dirty. Once I install my Skunk2 alpha series valves and retainers, get my chipped OBD one ECU and then I'm going to the Irwindale speedway and I'm going to hit a 36 shot nitrous I'll let you guys know the numbers it I should be hitting close to 180 hp after I hit my nitrous...
I did my first swap by myself when you were still watching Barney & Friends. Your buddy with a B20 on nitrous....haha, real funny dude. What, it runs low 14s?

36 shot of nitrous? LMAO.

GTFOH
Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 AM

And the guys like well I'm able to set everything but you should buy camber kit...
saying that I also have a little bit of caster adjustment, and that I need a caster kit!
I told him I would do the camper myself, And he agreed I should be able to do it was just a level
but anyways just wanted to let you know guys if you lower your car, and you want the ride to be somewhat decent, you need to look into camber caster and scraping your oil pan! ( i've got some serious scratches on my oilpan!)
But are used a level and my smart phone with the level app and I dialed my rear camber to zero and I put my front to -0.2, I was going to do zero
my car is so slammed
told me to zero my front camber so I can grip the road better
These are the reasons your "build advisor" is a moron, because they didn't tell you that all of this is wrong. Come on man, this is basic stuff that absolutely no one should even think about telling you to do. Also,

Anyways I brought the car to the shop today and I just realized the tow now my camera until were sad
Wut?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

i sense very strong trolling in effect. My car is almost that same height and I sure as **** do not scrape my oil pan.

- no alignment sheet
- special engineer needed for advice
- still asking an online forum for suggestions even though special tech.
- calling online members haters ( sounds like another HT-GDD member)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:28 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
i sense very strong trolling in effect. My car is almost that same height and I sure as **** do not scrape my oil pan.

- no alignment sheet
- special engineer needed for advice
- still asking an online forum for suggestions even though special tech.
- calling online members haters ( sounds like another HT-GDD member)
Don't forget his buddy's B20 swap that will smoke everyone on this thread. I IS sooo scared.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might say that but I live in California and I can get a ticket for being this low...
I was just under my car and I noticed some scratches on my oil pan, I just installed an H brace so hopefully it'll hit that instead
So what your car is lowered. Don't matter what height. Think the cop is gonna write on the ticket you were also too slammed lol

Tony is right there is no way you're scraping on driveways and **** with a ******* 2 finger wheel gap and 195/55/15s stop trying to sound cool

I want to smash those tail lights in, very badly.

Quick Reply: Things to consider before lowering your EK