Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Are these bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these bad

I cant tell if this is the design or what. But can you tell me if these rotors are still good, i felt them and they felt smooth. But my friend said i should replace them cause of all those lines in the rotors. The car stops on a dime but there is squeeking every once and a while.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:47 AM

why don't you just get them cut on a brake lathe at most shops it'll save you money
Old 04-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The look like they getting worn down a little bit but i dont see any stress cracks from the pictures, so you should be fine for now
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Why do you think they are squeeking when i stop. Could it just be dust??
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on what brake pads you are running that could be a cause of squeeking....check the pads and see how much is left
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 AM

I just replaced them the other day. Duralast brakes. It doesnt make sense the old brakes never squeeked and then i put on new brakes and then the squeeking starts.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duralast pads combined w/ uneven rotor surface is the problem. anytime changing the pads you should have someone resurface the rotors. the grooves no matter how small cause an air gap between the rotor and pad. eventually the pad will wear into the grooves but it will still squeek because of the uneven surface moving across the friction material. just take the pads back get some new ones, and resurface or replace the rotors. and never buy them damn $11 pads again.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 AM

I thought duralast had good brakes. What brakes should i exchange them for then?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on where you go. i would stick with any of the upgraded pad sets except duralast, wearever, and the other "store" brand pads. personally i like federated FDxxxC pads, ceramic, quiet, not expensive, and low dust.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are these bad (AllstockSIke)

If the squeek bothers you, make sure that you used the brake quieting gunk on the pads to keep them from squeeking.

If they are stopping on a dime, and occasional noise is your only complaint, then you are golden. Functionality is proof of worth.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

If you have the cash, then go with OEM honda semi-metallic pads. If not, go with a brand name ceramic pad. Stay away from "house brands" from the smaller parts stores. And always have the rotors cut when changing the pads to get a nice even surface.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Are these bad (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the squeek bothers you, make sure that you used the brake quieting gunk on the pads to keep them from squeeking.

If they are stopping on a dime, and occasional noise is your only complaint, then you are golden. Functionality is proof of worth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im gonna have to agree with you. I felt the rotors and they feel fine, nice and smooth. And the brakes do work great. So ill try the brake quieting gunk and hopefully that shuts me up. But for now on i will change my rotors when i get new brakes or have them surfaced. Thanx guys.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: (matt21civ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt21civ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't you just get them cut on a brake lathe at most shops it'll save you money</TD></TR></TABLE>

because that would be 2 ****** easy....
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these bad (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the squeek bothers you, make sure that you used the brake quieting gunk on the pads to keep them from squeeking.

If they are stopping on a dime, and occasional noise is your only complaint, then you are golden. Functionality is proof of worth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't use this ****! seriously i'm in my second year of auto tech. school and we are told how this crap is very bad. They even made telling us not to use it a part of our course! just use never seeze. that "gunk" hardens and causes the pad's to wear uneven, creates and encourages brake caliper seezing. it also does nothing but glue your brake pad to the caliper piston so that it pulls the brake pad away from the rotor more easily. this stuff is just retarded and is not ment for imports or even anything for that matter. just stay away from that red brake quiet ****
Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">duralast pads combined w/ uneven rotor surface is the problem. anytime changing the pads you should have someone resurface the rotors. the grooves no matter how small cause an air gap between the rotor and pad. eventually the pad will wear into the grooves but it will still squeek because of the uneven surface moving across the friction material. just take the pads back get some new ones, and resurface or replace the rotors. and never buy them damn $11 pads again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these bad (Bond)

i dont know if this is a myth or what but i have heard that touching the face of the pads can also make them squeak a bit too....i dont know if the pads absorb some of the oils on your hands or what..but that's what i've heard...i may be wrong......dont flame me or anyhting like that it's just what i've heard...and also just to be on the safe side, i dont tuoch the face of the pad just in case this is true....either way, i just take caution when installing brakes so that it cant be something to blame..lol.......who knows.....
Old 04-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but whatever oils or crapg ets on the pads would probably come off in a day of daily driving, when you install new pads, USUALLY u resurface the rotors, and like schardbody said, garages usually do it cheaper than to replace (a lot cheaper), and it's really needed w/ new pads since they're all different...mabye it's comparible to finger prints...they're different and that can cause a squeak, when u change the pads but not resurface the rotors, it's like a half *** job, like the wires w/o the plugs, or timing belt w/o the water pump...it's just needed ;-P
Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Yes using the brake anti-squeal is not the best idea. It has known to cause problems. Just use a good quality pad. I would HIGHLY reccomend Wagner thermoquite. I know they are available at O'reillys. I have used those on several cars, and they have NEVER squealed. I use them on customer cars at work and out of the hundereds of brake jobs I have sent out, not one has come back with a squeal. Most of them just have the rotors turned. If there is not an O'reillys near you, you can order it off there website. I have also used "Import Quites" from Advance. They are really nice to, go for around $30 or so. As for the rotors, again I reccomend at least turning them if not buying new ones. I have used $18 Advance rotors and never had a problem. Doubt you will use any of this advice as most people want to go as cheap as possible, but hope somone will benifet.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 on the wagner thermo quiet. best pad available in my opinion, just too expensive for most, but hey, if you dont mind squeeking brakes just drive it.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM

What if i put them noise reducers on the brake pads, do you think that would shut the squeeking up?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are talking about the shims that SHOULD be on them in any case, then NO, it wont help much. the shim is to absorb vibrations caused by the metal to friction event. normally the noise you get from that is a quick squeel when you first apply the brakes.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 AM

Im just gonna go buy some new rotors and brakes, expletive it. Any suggestions on rotors and brakes from pep boys.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any blank rotors are ok, not sure about the pep boys pads, differant companies sell differant stuff.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the wearever golds from advance really arent that bad, especially for the money. they get a little dusty if youre doing a lot of hard braking around twisty roads(thats just me) but i put em on without turning my rotors or anything, and honestly i cant complain at all. exccept for the dust issue, but im also really **** about that. my rotors also looked similar to yours when i put the pads on too. just dont get your fingerprints all over the rotor or pad friction surfaces. But of course, its always good practice to either cut the rotors or get new ones.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek gripper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllstockSIke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im just gonna go buy some new rotors and brakes, expletive it. Any suggestions on rotors and brakes from pep boys.</TD></TR></TABLE> Get the mid grade rotors and their PREMIUM pads. As far as shims if your old ones had them and they didnt squeal use them. If the old ones DID NOT have them, and didnt squeal then dont use them. Get the idea?

Quick Reply: Are these bad