Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thermostat replace?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat replace?

so i bought a new thermostat because my lower radiator hose wasn't gettin warm at all!!! put the new one in, but the temp gauge will go up, then when revved up, the temp gauge will go down...so i put the old one back in and the temp gauge stayed at regular operating temp. (oh yeah i put in the 180 degree thermostat) would a lower temp thermostat help my lower rad. hose? also when i did this, my heat takes forever to heat up and when it does, it is only warm, not hot hot
Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thermostat replace?

why did you put in a 180? your losing gas mileage as well with it running at a cooler temp, not sure if you'll notice the diff though. the lower hose isn't suppose to get hot. its cool because your radiator is doing its job by cooling the coolant down. as for your gauge fluctuating, re-bleed the cooling system. you could have an air pocket still in the system
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SOHC_4dr
why did you put in a 180? your losing gas mileage as well with it running at a cooler temp, not sure if you'll notice the diff though. the lower hose isn't suppose to get hot. its cool because your radiator is doing its job by cooling the coolant down. as for your gauge fluctuating, re-bleed the cooling system. you could have an air pocket still in the system
i thought that both hoses are supposed to be warm, the top hot and the bottom warmish to hot?

oh yeah i put in a 180 because that is the OE temp right? or am i wrong? which thermo temp should i use? also another thing i noticed is that when i run the car on the highway, the temp gauge is at normal operating temp. when i start driving in the city, the gauge goes down just a little, but the heat still blows hot air....
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the factory temp doesn't open untill 195 give or take a few. where did you get the thermostat? when in the city it sounds like your fan is staying on causing it to overcool which is most likely related to the wrong thermo.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SOHC_4dr
the factory temp doesn't open untill 195 give or take a few. where did you get the thermostat? when in the city it sounds like your fan is staying on causing it to overcool which is most likely related to the wrong thermo.
i actually talked to the guys from honda and they said the 180 will work. i bought the thermo from HONDA. also i don't even think my fans turn on? i tried turning on my a/c and no fan kicks in, i know it did like 2 weeks ago. the fuse underneath the column is still good, anywhere else with a fuse? is there a way for me to check my rad. fan?

i just went outside in the fricken cold to add more coolant. now it seems like there is more pressure because before i could squeeze the top hose from top to bottom....when this happened, the bottom rad hose is super cold and top is hot. now when i added the coolant, the top is hot and the bottom is luke warm!!

another thing, my temp needle takes forever to go up, i let the car run for like 20 min and the temp gauge is just a little over the "C" but when i drive the car, it will start to rise a 1/4 of the way up???
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Location: ....................................................................................................

180 is the normal t stat from what i've used.