Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thermostat Ground stripped

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Ground stripped

ok so the hole for my thermostat ground is stripped, I was going to drill and tap it a little bigger but before I do that I was wondering if anybody on here has had this problem??? Does this ground HAVE to be grounded to the thermo.. or can it be grounded to the chassi or, another part of the motor. If other people has had this happen to them please chime in.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thermostat Ground stripped

The beauty of a ground connection, is that it can be connected anywhere that is considered ground. Try somewhere close by the thermo so you don't have to lengthen it. Any bolt will do but give it a good clean first.

Originally Posted by JLefevers
Does this ground HAVE to be grounded to the thermo.. or can it be grounded to the chassi or, another part of the motor.
If you're going to find another location other than the thermo you need to ground it to the motor, don't just loop it back to the chassis. That would defeat the purpose of the ground.

Last edited by kp; 04-21-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thermostat Ground stripped

Originally Posted by kp
The beauty of a ground connection, is that it can be connected anywhere that is considered ground. Try somewhere close by the thermo so you don't have to lengthen it. Any bolt will do but give it a good clean first.

If you're going to find another location other than the thermo you need to ground it to the motor, don't just loop it back to the chassis. That would defeat the purpose of the ground.
I had this it was the single biggest pain i have ever had with any car, period. the problem is, more than likely that t-stat is going to have to come out one day.... might as well get it over with now. also get a self tapping screw or something for the ground in the mean time.