Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thermostat ground has power on a 93 honda civic and tach problem on b16 swapped crx

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat ground has power on a 93 honda civic and tach problem on b16 swapped crx

I bought this 1993 honda civic 4 door and the guy said it just quit while driving down the road so he yanked the motor and the head off of it and found nothing.

so I bought it and put it all back together and now im stuck. distributor had no power so i switched the distributor and the main relay. still nothing so I checked all the grounds and noticed the thermostat ground sparked when I went to hook it back up I thought that was funny. well there is my problem I have put many hours into searching and I thought I would ask someone on here im sure its really dumb but what ya think??

also go a b16 swapped crx and I got an autometer tach in it and when I rev it up from idle its got a really small studder which is not a big deal but being its a racecar I want to know my rpms and at high rpm the tach bouces around like crazy which the car is running fine has great power but just tach problem

Please let me know ran the car for a whole year like that figured I would start off the year with it fixed thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thermostat ground has power on a 93 honda civic and tach problem on b16 swapped c

really..... no one has any input on this for the 93 civic??
Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: thermostat ground has power on a 93 honda civic and tach problem on b16 swapped c

93 sedan:

More information is needed. Does the starter crank the engine? Does the fuel pump prime? Is there spark at the plugs? Do the headlights work? When you turn the key to ON(II), do the cluster warning lights, including the CEL, turn on? How did you check for power to the distributor?

crx:

Could be a bad igniter unit, bad tach wire, or bad tach. Do you have another tach to hook up to see if the problem persists?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

starter cranks the engine fuel pump primes turn the key forward and everything works on the dash. I checked if there was power to the distributor with a test light, if the ground on the thermostat is unhooked distributor has power and all is good but if I hook it up then it looses power. but when I leave the thermostat ground unhooked and the distributor has power it still wont start. Its messed up and I have worked on it for awhile just cant think of what it is, the ground wire has power feeding to it for some odd reason, didnt know if it could be a ignition switch or not now
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehondasi2000
I checked if there was power to the distributor with a test light, if the ground on the thermostat is unhooked distributor has power and all is good but if I hook it up then it looses power. but when I leave the thermostat ground unhooked and the distributor has power it still wont start.
Describe exactly how you are measure voltage at the distributor.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt check the voltage just checked to see if it had power at all with the test light. Im about ready to part the car out if no one else has any other input. I got another car the motor can go into
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and the crx has a obd0 swap in it so if its the bad igniter unit I can just go get one from a parts store and have them look up a 92-95 del sol b16 right? I have switched the tach before and it does the same thing. I used an autometer tach before on my other race car and it worked great so thats what I have in it this time too. got a push button starter wired in on it too. got the correct wiring off of the net. just when its idleing and ya stab the throttle a little bit it has a small chug then revs just fine. but then ya get around 4000 rpm and the tach just starts going hectic and bounces around everywhere but the car still runs just fine